Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What stage of the game are you in?? Do you prefer hunting with someone with more experience than you, or do you take out novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What stage of the game are you in?? Do you prefer hunting with someone with more experience than you, or do you take out novice

What stage of the game are you in?? Do you prefer hunting with someone with more experience than you, or do you take out novices and teach them the ways of the woods. Do you consider yourself a Teacher or Student of the woods??

Both. You never stop learning, I learn something just about everytime I go out.
    I also like to think of myself as som what of a techer, I take a friends son with me so that he can learn the right ways to fish and hunt. I do my best to teach him the proper ethics. I just hope that I'm doing it right!

Comment

i agree with rrmont. I love to take a younger hunter under my wing. Teach them what i know and how i hunt (and fish). I am not allknowing though, and when i can gain from another hunter's superior knowledge or experience, that's great too.
      So it depends on the company whether i'm a teacher or a student. I relish both roles.

Comment

I'm a teacher. I get more joy now watching others harvest game than myself. Same with fishing. I enjoy helping others find the same enjoyment I've experienced over the last uh..number of years.

Comment

I'm in the teaching stage at the moment, 1 daughter started 2 yrs. ago, 1 son ready to start. But being I had to teach myself pretty much everything, to do with hunting, it's always nice to have a seasoned veteran out there with you... even at 35 yrs. of age.

Comment

I do both right now, even though I am a younger guy I am trying to take more people out hunting and fishing to show them how much I enjoy it. In a few months I will be taking the hunters safety insructors course. There are very few hunters safety courses around my area so I figured I could give back by becoming an instructor.

Comment

Both, believe it or not I'm more of a student than a teacher. I take my Daughter and Nephew, little Sister and the kids at deer camp from time to time, but I'd rather go with someone with more experience. Mostly I go by myself.

Comment

Depends on who I am with. Most of the guys that I hunt with during gun season have about 20 years on me except for my cousins boyfriend but he won't be back next year. I learned a lot over the years hunting with them. During bow season I hunt with a much younger crowd so I am more of a teacher.

Comment

I can't imagine someone who has more experience than I have, when it comes to deer hunting.I have averaged well over 50 days out in the field, mostly sun up to sun down, since 1978.

I am definitely a student of the woods and water, and I always will be, as I always maintain and cultivate a teachable spirit in all things. The teacher only has to have "just a little more" education/experience than his students to impart and mentor effectively.
                  I take in, only to pour out to others.

Great thought provoking question, one of the better ones that have been asked!

Comment

I am definately a student. I just started hunting a couple years ago. I have been going with a guy that has been hunting for about ten years and sometimes with my friend whos been hunting his whole life. I ask a lot of questions and get a sense of exacty what to do. Im pretty much set now, so i want to try hunting alone next year. Im still going to go out with them, but I will probably be asking fewer questions. And I agreee with the both idea. You really NEVER stop learning!

Comment

I'm ravenously hungry for new knowledge, and I'm always dying to teach someone else. I think/hope I'll always be this way.

Comment

I grew up hunting with the most awesome teacher, my Father. I followed his footsteps joined the Air Force to be a Military Game Warden during my off duty time, joined the Air Force Shooting Team and become an NRA Instructor. In 1975 at age 20, I was the only certified Arkansas Hunter Safety instructor under the age 21. I enjoy skilled as well as nonskilled Sportsmen, doesn’t bother me one bit!

If I had to sum it up with two words to describe myself, I would say Honesty and Humility and yes, the ability to eat crow too...LOL! I’ve learned it’s better to lose a match and learn something than to win and learn nothing! With my older age, I’d rather step down knowing I would win by taking that shot, instead I would let the new person give it a try under my guidance with my own equipment and ammunition. My Father taught me it’s better to mess up under the watchful eye of the experienced than to fall and learn nothing.

Am I a Teacher yes, more so I am a student for life! I learn more from the inexperienced as well as the Masters. Practice is not in my vocabulary, the word is training. You’re always in training, until you have mastered it and then and only then do you practice what you have mastered. Even if I did master it, there is only one Master!

Comment

i am only 16 so im more of a student. but last year i started taking one of my best friends with me, he shot a doe on the last day, i have never seen such excitment on someones face as he had on his.

Comment

I am a student... i like to hear the good stories and tips from the older guys

Comment

kolbster

Remember that person moment on the last day, with age you will cherish those moments more than any other day hunting.

PLAY IT FORWARD!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad