Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of hunting camp do you prefer? A roughing it spike camp, or all the bells and whistles "more comfortable than home" c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big C
    replied
    Roughing it is the best.

Leave a comment:

• rjbedrock
    replied
    Deer camp with a good wood stove and a comfortable bunk. If you need all the comforts of home, stay there!

Leave a comment:

• Mark w
    replied
    The company matters more that the amenities. As long as you all share the same passion for hunting or fishing and persue it with vigor!

I had an aunt once who's idea of "roughing it" was going to a hotel that didn't have room service..........

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    It wouldnt matter to much if he company is good. If I'm with some of my regular hunting buddies we would get along just fine with ruffing it. But sometimes it is nice to take a good shower at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Twice we had to rough it when we went elk hunting. We had to set up a leanto. I would rather camp in a nice tent that keeps you warm and dry. But I think roughing it gives you the most memories.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Anything that doesn't involve electrical technology beyond flashlights sounds good.

A real "hunting camp" experience happens when everyone splits and hauls wood, or everyone freezes to death.

You probably just had a bonding experience if you and your buddy just went out and shot 2 red squirrels and a blue jay with deer rifles, because you were snowed into camp and out of food.

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I lide roughing it, when we get to our spot everyone pitches in to get things done. Very seldom is a person standing around whie the others work. When things work like that I know it's going to be a good time.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    I like spike tents and cabins. Advantages to both. Also like to camp on my own at times. Bonding seems to be the same between spike or cabin, but you really get to know someone when the going gets tough.

Leave a comment:

• teufelhunden
    replied
    I have had great hunts in spartan camps with good people. I have had crappy hunts in five star lodges with snobs. And vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    I start the season chasing elk in the back country, and go as light and rough as possible. After several weeks of roughing it chasing elk, we set up a very nice wall tent camp for whitetail hunting in November. We go all out for whitetail camp, generator, tv/dvd, wood stoves, cots with pads, etc.... I enjoy both. The roughing it is great in the early season, and I get in all the sitting around the fire looking at the stars time. Then when the weather is colder and days are shorter in November it is nice to come back to a warm wall tent after chasing bucks in the snow all day and sit by a woodstove and watch some movies with my buddies.

Leave a comment:

• peter
    replied
    the "a roughing it spike camp". even though it is rustic and does not have managed land with trophy deer it is a challenge which i like. the cheanb hunting club i go to with my dad is like that. though it does have alot of land which is borded by even more state game land and it does have medum sized deer

Leave a comment:

• s-kfry
    replied
    Somewhere in the middle. Enough comfort to sleep well and eat well, anything more is just pampering.

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    To me there is no preference, as long as I am with good company.

Leave a comment:

• huntfish37
    replied
    Somewhere in between, I don't like a tv or anything, but having a cabin is nice.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Roughing it. No contest.

Nate

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad