Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of hunting camp do you prefer? A roughing it spike camp, or all the bells and whistles "more comfortable than home" c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of hunting camp do you prefer? A roughing it spike camp, or all the bells and whistles "more comfortable than home" c

What kind of hunting camp do you prefer? A roughing it spike camp, or all the bells and whistles "more comfortable than home" camp??? Which camps do you think create more bonding between hunters and make for the best hunting memories??

Both! 5 day moose hunt not 4 wimps!

Comment

I say a camp that has the bells and whistles because it makes it nice something to get away to.

Comment

A spike camp for 3-4 days would be the way to go if you were serious about getting that 360+ Bull or that 180+ Muley Buck, I think that's as real as it gets! A base camp with walltents and stove to heat and cook would be an excellent place to share stories and enjoy others that are in the hunt, it's all about what you want out of a hunt. Sometimes being with your friends and family is more than you can ask for a successful hunt!

Comment

I love roughing it and do it often but there is nothing like sitting around our cabin by the stove sipping bourbon and B.S.ing

Comment

Roughing it. No contest.

Nate

Comment

Somewhere in between, I don't like a tv or anything, but having a cabin is nice.

Comment

To me there is no preference, as long as I am with good company.

Comment

Somewhere in the middle. Enough comfort to sleep well and eat well, anything more is just pampering.

Comment

the "a roughing it spike camp". even though it is rustic and does not have managed land with trophy deer it is a challenge which i like. the cheanb hunting club i go to with my dad is like that. though it does have alot of land which is borded by even more state game land and it does have medum sized deer

Comment

I start the season chasing elk in the back country, and go as light and rough as possible. After several weeks of roughing it chasing elk, we set up a very nice wall tent camp for whitetail hunting in November. We go all out for whitetail camp, generator, tv/dvd, wood stoves, cots with pads, etc.... I enjoy both. The roughing it is great in the early season, and I get in all the sitting around the fire looking at the stars time. Then when the weather is colder and days are shorter in November it is nice to come back to a warm wall tent after chasing bucks in the snow all day and sit by a woodstove and watch some movies with my buddies.

Comment

I have had great hunts in spartan camps with good people. I have had crappy hunts in five star lodges with snobs. And vice-versa.

Comment

I like spike tents and cabins. Advantages to both. Also like to camp on my own at times. Bonding seems to be the same between spike or cabin, but you really get to know someone when the going gets tough.

Comment

I lide roughing it, when we get to our spot everyone pitches in to get things done. Very seldom is a person standing around whie the others work. When things work like that I know it's going to be a good time.

Comment

Anything that doesn't involve electrical technology beyond flashlights sounds good.

A real "hunting camp" experience happens when everyone splits and hauls wood, or everyone freezes to death.

You probably just had a bonding experience if you and your buddy just went out and shot 2 red squirrels and a blue jay with deer rifles, because you were snowed into camp and out of food.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad