Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer hunting an area you know very well and have hunted often, or do you like the challenge and adventure of hunting ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer hunting an area you know very well and have hunted often, or do you like the challenge and adventure of hunting ne

Do you prefer hunting an area you know very well and have hunted often, or do you like the challenge and adventure of hunting new country??

It's always exciting to hunt a new spot.

Comment

I like to hunt new spots. But I think it is easier to hunt somewhwere you have been before.

Comment

I hunt the same 1300 acres every year and it is always a challenge finding the deer. Between hunting pressure, clear cutting, growth on older clear cuts and general deer movement I never get bored.

Comment

For deer, I like to intimately learn an area and their habits, and expand from there - I hunt mostly heavy woods. But it is always refreshing to get into a new area. For upland birds, I like to continuously try new areas and use the hunts to scout for deer.

Comment

I like hunting new land, but every gun season I am at my farm.

Comment

Feels good to hunt land you know like the back of your hand, but I'd take new over known most times.

Comment

good question...I love both...nothing beats the excitement of exploring new hunting territory and hoping that new hotspot is just around the next bend...still, the knowledge gained by hunting the same piece of country, season after season, is invaluable and only comes with time...

Comment

I agree with kingfish both are good for different reasons. There's a farm in MO I have hunted since 1979. I have two stands on it that are as predictable for an opening day shot at a mature buck as it gets. Check my pics for the 2 bucks (14 and 8 points) a friend and I shot last fall. Also enjoy exploring and hunting new farms like the one in Kansas I started hunting last fall.

Comment

I agree with Del and Kingfish, both. I love learning new spot and love having a comfortable spot which I am confident in.

Comment

I love adventure and always looking at finding a new area. What I use to get around without getting lost and finding really neat places is first I go onto the internet and look for places of interest by clicking on the following and fly around like a pilot.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=44.023938~-99.71&style=h&lvl=4&tilt=-89.875918865193&dir=0&alt=7689462.6842358

Once I find an area of interest, I get out by TOPO Map I bought at Wal-Mart and locate it. Scrub it all over for human population etc with both live.com and TOPO then go out to the truck were I have my Lowrance iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS plugged in and find it. Load up the ATV and gear and enjoy!

Comment

PS

Don't forget "SPOT" !!!

Comment

I love this question because even though I find myself often going back to the same old well known locations in the mountains, you just can't bet the feeling of hunting on a good horse in new country.

Comment

absolutely both! adventure, excitement,challenge!, but then there are the good old reliable spots, the familier spots that you have hunted your whole life, in SC I had my squirrel spot always got a few and knew it like the back of my hand, now I live in Ia, exciting get to start all over again!

Comment

I like the home field advantage

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad