Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to hunt black bears without baiting them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to hunt black bears without baiting them?

What is the best way to hunt black bears without baiting them?

What part of the country you in and what part of the year you plan to hunt? You must find what they’re eating and habits for that area. I've found every bear has its own area and tracking them is a difficult but not impossible. I have called bears in while varmint calling. Be careful because they slip in and out without you never knowing it.

In areas like the tundra of Alaska you’ll find the bears in grassy hill sides in the spring and down on the river areas during the salmon runs. In the lower 48, you’ll have more luck with bears that have become a nuisance raiding garbage cans. Here in the Ozarks, I find more bears skirting the edges of small towns and parks where hunting pressure is very low and quite. You just got to get out and search and ask questions of the locals. Check the local Game and Fish authority and see if they can put you on to one.

Remember the slightest twig break or scenting you will put a bear over to the next county!

Bottom line, total patience and a lot of long range glassing is your best bet!

Comment

If dogs are allowed that is one option. You need a pack of two or three at the least. It's a lot of fun and excitement. Not a easy as you might think.

Comment

What part of the country do you plan on hunting? If it is in the the Northeast, find a good wild cherry stand. In the fall, after the cherries have fallen, the black bear will be feeding on the cherries. Sit still and wait, you will see bear.

Comment

Use a gun...

Comment

Southeast Alaska black bear hunting - Work the berries. Spring will be grass until cran, blue and huckleberries start to pop up. Bears like access to the beach, so check out thick brush on hillsides with access to rivers or the beach. In fall the rivers are choked with salmon, but if you are planning to eat the meat rotting salmon doesn't exactly help the flavor once the bear is down.

Comment

When I lived in CO I use to hike a lot. Finding wild berry patches was always a bonus. One area that I found I returned to that fall and couldn't take a step without stepping in bear scat. I saw a bear that very evening.

Otherwise, if allowed, dogs is a good bet.

Comment

In my area your best bet other than baiting or using dogs is to spot and stalk in the spring. When the bears first come out in early spring they can be found on open grassy hillsides eating grass, which I have been told helps clean out their system after hybernating. We also have some luck in the fall by hitting old homestead apple orchards in the canyons surrounding our farm lands.

Comment

use dogs

Comment

Spot & stalk.

Comment

Group drives.

Comment

Berries; Bears love them for sure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                          by FirstBubba
                          jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                          Today, 07:26 PM
                        • Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                          Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                        • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                          by FirstBubba
                          Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                          Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                          Today, 07:18 PM
                        • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                          by crm3006
                          Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                          Today, 05:22 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                          The site is much more enjoyable...
                          Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X