Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your defense when confronted by anti-hunters. Do you have any facts or info prepared ahead of time to be able to intell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your defense when confronted by anti-hunters. Do you have any facts or info prepared ahead of time to be able to intell

What is your defense when confronted by anti-hunters. Do you have any facts or info prepared ahead of time to be able to intellectually defend your position in conversation, email, etc...

I just tell em everything we eat left a gut pile on the ground somewhere before it arrived on your plate. Be it the ground chuck in your hamburger or the lettuce in your salad. Everything we eat comes from a living breathing organism that died so you can eat. If that doesn't make them shut up I ask them what they had for dinner last night, or what that meat at chineese restraunts really is and see if I can make em hurl.

Comment

Ask them how they can defend their position. Unfortunately, most anti-hunters base their position purely on emotion. That is also how PETA/HSUS attacks hunters. The facts just don't matter to them. Though I do remind vegans that plants are alive when they are eaten and that fruits are the wombs of the plants seed.

Comment

Ask them what they ate last night. Chances are they will reply that they had some sort of meat dish (few anti-hunters are actually vegetarians). At this point I think you can directly show an intellectual dishonestly. But, if you want to take it further you can run down a couple of these rabbit trails:

1. Ethically hunting is no more inhuman that raising animals for the express purpose of slaughtering and butchering them. In fact, it could be considered better as hunted animals have a better chance of survival (at least from the human predator) than ranch raised cattle and sheep and have a better life in the wild while they are alive.
        2. Game meat is much healthier than farm and feedlot raised livestock.
        3. As hunters we know where our food is coming from and this generally creates a higher sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment and not wasting what we have killed (just look at the dollars that sportsman pump into habitat restoration, etc.).
        4. Hunters play the role of dominate predator in ecosystems where predators (typically wolves) have been removed causing an imbalance bringing prey species populations back in line with what the habitat will support. And in this line, if I was a prey species I would much rather get shot by a hunter and die quickly than starve to death in a long winter where all the food has been overgrazed or eaten by a pack of wolves.

I guess the start point may be working through why you hunt so that you can answer the objections both from a personal perspective as well as in a broader context.

Comment

You guys are all right, begin an honest, intellectual discussion with them. The last thing you want to do is start a fight because all that will happen is that you reinforce their opinions that hunters are just bloodthirsty neanderthals. There are some people who you will never convince and then the best you can do is agree to disagree.

Comment

GS is correct, all they want to do is make you look as much like a brutal thug as possible. There is not one thing you can do to change thier minds. They are as sure of their opinon as we are of ours.

Be courteous and give thoughtful answers.

Comment

Ask them if they are vegitarians, If not ask them if they have ever been to a chicken/turkey/slaughter house. If not then I suggest they go. What I do is much more than the commercial killing of animals that supplies thier table. I tell them that its a God given right that I hunt, my family has hunted since we got off the boat and will continue to until there are no more of us. I ususally leave it at that, if they continue to argue I walk away. I'm too old to take a whoopin and wouldn't gain anything by knocking some skin off their butt.

Comment

How about, my ancestors have, their ancestors have, and that' what I'm passing on to my seed. Sure, I could go to the store and buy some steaks, chops and hamburger, but you know what? It has been in my Northern Cheyenne Indian(and I'm sure many Non-Indian hunters) lineage before PETA was even organized! I think that as ethical hunters, we would have more respect for the wildlife than the Anti's and Enviro's, because we understand that there needs to be a balance on this earth. I was taught to respect the animals I hunt, and have learned this while in the field as well. Like living and dying, hunting is a way of life.

Comment

i always give them the ole sob story about how if there is no hunting, then the whole eco-system will take a giant dump

Comment

Whenever anyone comes up to me and says, "Why do you kill deer?." I start by saying that im not killing, im harvesting which confuses them long enough so I can get some answers ready. I then say that I use a bow, so I give the deer somewhat of an advantage, and im not shooting them with small pieces of metal from 150 yards away. Then, I say that I eat and use all the meat off a deer, so its not like I go out and just shoot a deer and leave it for dead. I like s-kfry's idea. I will use that now and tell them that slaughter houses where your dinner came from is much less humane than what I do. Finally, I tell them about how the deer population is way out of control(they usually agree) and that im helping the deer populations. I explain that its probably hard to understand killing to save the population, but at least the deer wont starve because of no food because of the population WAY over the carrying capacity of the area. By this time, they are either satisfied with my answer, dont care anymore, or have walked away already. But at least they wont ask anyone anymore, because they think they will get another long answer.

Comment

I shoot between 3-6 deer per fall. The reason is simple, the elders from my tribe want deer meat. They prefer it to beef, sometimes even buffalo. I love to eat it too, year-round.

Comment

How about, my ancestors have, their ancestors have, and that' what I'm passing on to my seed. Sure, I could go to the store and buy some steaks, chops and hamburger, but you know what? It has been in my Northern Cheyenne Indian(and I'm sure many Non-Indian hunters) lineage before PETA was even organized! I think that as ethical hunters, we would have more respect for the wildlife than the Anti's and Enviro's, because we understand that there needs to be a balance on this earth. I was taught to respect the animals I hunt, and have learned this while in the field as well. Like living and dying, hunting is a way of life.

Comment

If they are not vegetarians tell them to stop being a hipocrat. If they are vegetartians then just say that death is a part of life and they dont have to partake in it but they shouldnt get mad at those who do.

Comment

I would like to take a couple of them to a slaughter house after they just got done with there hamburger and see how they feel. No I dont have any thing wrong with slaughter housses, unless they run out of ribeyes.

Comment

idahooutdoors I am wondering what happend to ken.mcloud I hope he finaly sees are point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X