Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the biggest hunting influence in your life? Have you thought of, or already have taken, another kid or non-hunter under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the biggest hunting influence in your life? Have you thought of, or already have taken, another kid or non-hunter under

Who was the biggest hunting influence in your life? Have you thought of, or already have taken, another kid or non-hunter under your wing to introduce to hunting?

My Dad introduced me to hunting and fishing as a kid, and i'm forever grateful. One of the highlights of my hunting life was 'guiding' a 14y.o. kid to his first buck, a nice 8 pt. I was as happy or happier than if i'dve shoot it. oh yeah, it was 4:40, last day of the season.

Comment

Mine was originally my father. I remember following him around the woods since the days when I was barely taller than the tops of his boots. I have had several more influences throughout life, and continue to meet people who spur me into new directions. I really enjoy taking kids out now. There is nothing better than spending a day in the woods with a kid, it is refreshing to see the woods through younger eyes, and slow down to enjoy and explain the little things. I have found teaching to be the best way of learning.

Comment

My dad. He is a huge influence for my hunting career.

Comment

My uncle really got me started hunting deer. Small game was my father and turkey was one of my friends. I love taking people hunting or fishing for the first time. Taking 3 people out this year that have never done it before. In a few weeks I will be taking a guy from work turkey hunting. When I do this I let them take the gun and I do the calling. I think it is a better experience for them.

Comment

Aside from my dad i have an uncle and a few cousins who i could learn from. Can't wait to get my own kids involved when they are old enough.

Comment

my dad/grandpa i love hunting

Comment

my dad/grandpa i love hunting

Comment

i am just a youth hunter. I have never taken a non-hunter out to the timber to hunt, but hope to. My biggest influence was either my dad, or the first guy that took me hunting, and that was with me when i got my first buck.

Comment

A man from church introduced me to hunting when I was 13. I went with him for about a year and then struck out on my own. I learned how to hunt the hard way! I have since started taking my two brothers and two other boys about 12 years old. I love spending time teaching what I love. Will shot his first doe this last season, he was so happy he could hardly stand it. Nothing beats seeing a boy that happy.

Comment

With out a doubt it was/is my Dad

Comment

My dad. He grew up in SW Colorado but move to NJ to marry mom (the marriage was good, staying in NJ was not). We didn't get to hunt at all when kids but did get to fish a fair amount and dad was always trying to find new places in the suburbs to do that.

We did get to shoot when we visited family out west and even got in some prairie dog hunting on a ranch once before I left for college. About 4 years ago my family and I moved back to CO and over Christmas vacation dad and I got to do some small game hunting. Nothing out of the ordinary but the chance to drop a few rabbits with dad was awesome.

Should the Good Lord allow us to stay here I am really looking forward to the day I can take each of my kids out for their first rabbit, first trout, first deer and elk. But, to prepare we are getting them out into nature, camping and the such, now so that they are comfortable without their soft beds, warm house, etc.

Comment

My dad was my influence, I take a friends son with me now he's 12. I've taken him deer, phesant and goose hunting and he loves it.

Comment

My best friends dad. First time he took me out with them was to help track a buck he had shot. Ive loved hunting ever since. I am now taking my two younger brothers under my wing.

Comment

My Dad was my influence in hunting and fishing. He always had time for me. He always had patience. He always answered my questions no matter how dumb they may have been.

I passed this on at first to my wife who was a city girl. She soon developed a passion for the outdoors and has become a very good deer hunter and decent wing shot.

We both passed it on to our son. He is now involed in business but still takes time to get out when he can.

I hope one day to pass it to a grandchild.

My wife and I both teach hunter ed (she started before me) and do our best to instill honest values and ethics in our students. We also take kids hunting that would not have a chance otherwise. Giving back is part of the deal...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad