Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The game animal you shot goes down, but when you get to it, it is still alive. How do you dispatch the animal? What if it's ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a hands down clear-cut, cut-and-dried, uncomplicated situation. You owe it to the animal you've shot to give it the fastest death you can possibly give it.

You *MUST* shoot it again. Immediately. Any delay is unacceptable.

I don't give a toot what the extra bullet or arrow costs you, and only someone looking for a Darwin Award nomination would get close enough to a wounded animal to touch it.

Comment

Make sure you keep a good sharp knife on your belt, and don't be afraid to get dirty and do the deed. Unethical to leave the animal laying there suffering. Cut the throat while kneeling on the animals chest so you push the air out faster, and give it a less chance to breath in.

Comment

I can relate to Northern Sportsmans comment as I had a very similar experience happen to me when I first started hunting with my black powder gun. I nearly quit hunting myself. The incident really reinforced for me a lesson my dad had taught to me a when I first started hunting, respect for the animal. I always make sure my guns are sighted in and I have passed up shots now that I used to take before because I don’t want it to happen again. It really made me a better hunter.

Comment

shoot it again

Comment

you use a wood on a buck, a iron on a doe, and a putter on a turkey.

Comment

I would never slit the throat. Have you ever heard a deer thats throat has been slit? Not a cool sound. First off you should probably practice your archery if the deer is still kicking when you get to it. If this somehow happened to me i would shoot it again.

Comment

Put the deer in a sleeper hold. Kidding.

Comment

cut the throat it will end it faster than shooting it again.

Comment

Fore. Got all of that one. Slit its throat.

Comment

Slitting the throat is a bad idea. Too many things can go wrong. I guess people just say to knife it because it sounds cooler and more manly. Might as well just leave the gun and bow at home and go knife hunting. I use my gun to kill the deer, not just to get it down so I can cut it.

Comment

Stab it in the lungs with a large knife, it will die pretty quickly. When you here the air spew out you know you hit the right spot.

Comment

Depends on what it is if it's a hog or a deer ill stab it a few times or cut its throat--a wall hanger deer Ill stab in the throat or lungs with the old spanish bayonet I carry I do this as to not mess up the cape if I slit its throat.

Comment

Stab it in the brain stem. It is quick and humane and said that the animal feels no pain.

Comment

If it is rifle season I would shoot in the high neck. If with a bow I would shoot it in the normal heart/lung area. No jumping on a live deer to cut its throat for me, thanks!

Comment

I dont think using a knife is really a good option. If it is your only option (you are out of arrows/bullets) then of course, do what you have to do. Otherwise, stay out of the deers line of sight. All that seeing you is going to do is make that deer absolutely petrified, especially as you get closer to it. From a distance shoot it in the neck, or heart, and back off and let the deer die in peace.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to SCOTUS in action!
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Why are women so adamant about abortions when there are other means, like pills?
                                  Does anybody know?
                                  Today, 07:52 AM
                                • SCOTUS in action!
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  SCOTUS has overturned Roe vs Wade and Casey vs Planned Parenthood.

Hot time in DC tonight.
                                  The (d)'s just thought 1/6 was a big deal!...
                                  06-24-2022, 11:13 AM
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Don't capitalize law, because it was never based on solid legal ground. Justices said that 50 years ago but the Court looked the other way. Maybe a regulation...
                                  Today, 07:48 AM
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Trouble here 99 is that it isn’t protected by the constitution with this courts decision ! However I feel about it or you for that matter , abortion...
                                  Today, 06:43 AM
                                • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  I so agree and want to add that these politicians have no idea of what it took to form this republic ! They have no understanding of the trust we must...
                                  Today, 05:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X