Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The game animal you shot goes down, but when you get to it, it is still alive. How do you dispatch the animal? What if it's ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The game animal you shot goes down, but when you get to it, it is still alive. How do you dispatch the animal? What if it's ar

The game animal you shot goes down, but when you get to it, it is still alive. How do you dispatch the animal? What if it's archery season when you cannot use a firearm?

Great question! I usually cut the throat. I'd rather not waste an arrow/broadhead. But I've also made the mistake of grabbing the buck to early and had my wrist pinned against the tree by a big ol' 9 point. Won't make that mistake again. I had to jab him in the chest about 6 times before I got my hand from under his rack. Live and learn!!!

Comment

I had that problem during firearms season. I shot him in the neck from behind.

Nate

Comment

Most times I cut thier throat, I have shot them again but I have done it only 2 or 3 times.

Comment

It is dangerous to try to cut the throat of an animal that is still alive, I would rather waste another arrow and broadhead and shoot him through the neck.

Comment

I had that happen to me turkey hunting, I shot the bird it went down. Once I got to it, it was still flopping around. I took off my jacket and covered it up as to not get bit or spurred. Then I cut its throat. There was not much else I could do.

Comment

this fall i shot my turkey and watched it go down at a mere 15 yards and went up to it laid my shotgun down beside it and then came those last 5 or 6 flaps that spattered blood everywhere

Comment

If as deer etc I use another arrow or if a turkey ring its neck or something.

Even though I carry a Springfield 45XD here in Arkansas during Archery and Muzzle loading season, you’re allowed to carry concealed weapons if you’re licensed. You cannot use the firearm in any way other than personal protection period!

Comment

If the animal is sitting up looking at me, I use another arrow. If it simply requires the coup de gras, I punch the carotid at the base of the throat with my knife.

With a turkey the nervous system is very primative and it is not unusual for them to flop about quite a bit even with a broken neck. Anyone who has ever taken a hatchet to a Sunday dinner chicken has experience with this. With a turkey simply stand on its head...

Comment

Beekeeper - we forgot to tell that to a young hunter and after his first bird went down he kept shooting it because it was flopping around. Growing up we preferred to ring chicken's necks - it was my grandma that showed me how.

Comment

shoot him again, or cut its throat. If it's got horns, watch out.

Comment

If it is a doe hit it on the head with a golf club. If it is a nice buck shoot it again.

Comment

I shoot the animal again to finish the job, it's the least you can do to ease their pain. I might use a golf club, but the thought of bringing my bag with me always seems to slip my mind when I am preparing for the hunt.

Comment

Uhh, i dont know about you, but i dont usually bring golf clubs with me on my hunt. Any way, why should you treat a doe any different then a buck. As a hunter it is your responsibility to end suffering as much as possible. If you dont you shouldnt be considered a sportsman.

Comment

if one is wounded we usually slit its throat. But like everyone says, if you have your rifle sighted in and if you shoot it with a good shot you shouldn't have to shoot it again

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Okay, here's the second image or fore end. Note the instructions glued inside.

That clears up your BS #2 re fore end. Anything on the stock?...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by FirstBubba
                                I was just trying to be kind! 😂!🤣!...
                                Today, 10:07 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Crickets !!
                                by rock rat
                                I know people in Taiwan, Singapore, and China. The first outbreak of Covid was followed in minute detail as no one had any idea if it could be controlled...
                                Today, 10:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X