Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to hunt black bear? Most people I know have just come across one and tagged it. Is there a better method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to hunt black bear? Most people I know have just come across one and tagged it. Is there a better method?

What is the best way to hunt black bear? Most people I know have just come across one and tagged it. Is there a better method?

Depends, if you go to an outfitter then they'll use bait barrels, If your hunting on your own I'd say spot and stalk maybe.

Comment

You make a good point, Chris. I would be hunting on my own. So, is it something like leaving bait out and watching for a bear to come by?

Comment

HillbillyDeluxe what part of the country are you in and type of terrain? Open country a spotting scope I found works best in the thick stuff, you’ll just have to dink around until you find enough sign a wait them out. I’ve had a few Grizz and Blacks come in on my using Johnny Stewart electronic caller using the High pitch cotton tail #102c. Be very careful they will be on top of you and will never know it!

Comment

Depending on your state regulations you can set up a bait station. Use anything with a high sugar content, even plain white bread works great. Put it in a bucket and put a great big log across the top of it, that way if a bear gets into it you know that it is a big one. Set the bait bucket up again and set a tree stand or blind up. Go in early the next morning and watch. Just make sure you have a safe exit in case a nasty tempered boar or sow doesn't have a chance to get you. I've also seen bears called in with a high pitched cotton taiul call. Move to ther edge of thickets and start calling. Call for about 30-40 min, and if nothing shows up move on.

Comment

yea if your going to an outfitter they use bait barrels. but if your going on your own u can also do that. if you know a trapper or nusisnce trapper ask them for their unskined beaver carcass and put a couple in a 55gallon drum and let it sit in the sun or heat for a couple of days and then go attach it to a tree with wire and rope. beaver is one of the black bears favorite baits. and many times they will come into that bait station instead of another because its a natural food source that they consume.

Comment

Wait in a treestand and use bacon as bait all in front or your stand from 25 to 100 yard out.

Comment

Depends on what your local laws allow, the tear up my corn feeders pretty often, also I think some people use dogs to run them like rabbits.

Comment

I would say to bait the bears if your state allows it but if not, then you will just have to scout them out and maybe call them in.

Comment

Depends on where you hunt and what is legal there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad