Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowhunting- If someone were an absolute beginner, had never loosed an arrow in their life and was interested in bowhunting, what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowhunting- If someone were an absolute beginner, had never loosed an arrow in their life and was interested in bowhunting, what

Bowhunting- If someone were an absolute beginner, had never loosed an arrow in their life and was interested in bowhunting, what advice would you give? I have hunted my entire life but with firearms only...The bow is calling me, where do I start?

Find a local archery club and buy a few beers. You will meet a ton of people who will be willing to and capable of helping you get started. Archers are good people. I got started that way, introduced myself around, met the club pro and over the next several months i got thousands of dollars worth of advice, lessons gear and bow work, and i got a good friend and mentor out of it, he got to help a new archer and a new active club member, a win win for everyone.

Comment

Buy a bow and start to practice. a lot.

Comment

The only thing that I regret about bowhunting is that I did not start sooner. Archery club's are golden, most bowhunters I know are happy to share.

Comment

If you just ask, you should have no trouble getting help. Bowhunters are more than happy to get someone else addicted.

Oh, apologize ahead of time to your significant other.

Comment

Buy a bow (doesn't have to be anything fancy), practice every day. Shoot at diffrent angles. Learn your limits and your bow just like you would with guns. Good luck hunting.

Comment

a lot of archery shops have indoor ranges that let you shoot bows before you buy them. Find one you are comfortable with, practice a bunch, get some camo and get out in the woods.

Comment

Stay away from Wally World and find a reputable Bow shop.

I’ve seen deer jump the string at 15 yards with an arrow sizzling at 300 fps because the bow sounded like the door slamming on my Grandfather’s out house. First thing you look for is a bow you can hit with and how quite then you work into how fast it is without sacrificing accuracy and the ability to pull string back with minimal movement

I love my HCA now known as Mathews and I love Chevy's too!

Comment

You start at your local Archery pro-shop. They will tell you about any local clubs. They can also help you choose a bow that fits. Mathews is my favorite brand and I have owned plenty. If you go to their website there is a "retailer locater" button to locate your nearest Pro-shop. They will cut arrows to your length and help you pick a bow that fits your budget. Clay is right stay out of department stores. One more thing new folks tend to go for the heaviest and fastest bow they can draw. That is a big mistake. My first was a 42 lb recurve and I shot arrows completely thru deer with it. A 40-50-60 lb compound (whatever you like the best) is all you really need to bag the biggest deer that ever walked. Just use high quality arrows with razor sharp broadheads.

Comment

I started just like you except that I had never hunted anything, ever. Its funny but I actually got familiar with the equipment by ordering archery catalogs from Cabelas and Bass Pro. They are free and I learned all about bows and gear that goes with them. Next I just talked forever with anyone I knew that hunted. Ask them anything. I got many books from the library and studied up up on everything about bows. Finally I took the Hunter Safety class and I got my license. It took a while but it was worth it. It will probably take less time for you since you hunt already. Good Luck!

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. And then only take broadside or quartering away shots. Watch out for limbs!

Comment

There are a couple of good answers here. The best are go to a local bow shop and the other is the clubs. the shop can probably be able to get you in contact with the best clubs(respecable)in your area, and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, you won't regret your decision. Longer seasons, less pressured animals, more sightings, Etc. Good Luck this year, and shoot straight.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen, for all the excellent info...I cant wait to get started...

Comment

Agreed with Golfing Sportsman answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad