Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best rifle to use for hunting all these big game animals as in one rifle not many.elk,caribou,moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

210 grain TSX at 2830 fps? Will do a mighty fine job it will!!!!!!

If the 338-06 can push a 210 TSX at 2830, I wonder how fast my 338 Win Mag can thump it?

Comment

I like a remington 700 30-06 or a winchester model 94 30-30.

Comment

I would suggest the .300 Win Mag for the average Joe hunting all North American big game species. Although the 30-06 will do a great job, I like the added speed of the Win mag and above. I myself shoot a .300 Dakota for bigger game because it has the speed of the .300 RUM with much less recoil and much better accuracy (I get .1 inch groups). However, I realize it is not for everyone because you will have to expand your bolt face and receiver rails and barrel it yourself or you will have to spend $6500 on a rifle. I have shot almost everything I ever shot (lots of p-dogs, deer, coyotes, & antlope) with a 25-06 though.

Comment

I think some guys would say it's too small but I'd take my 270 for all 3. I trust my gun and my ability. Shot placement is far more important than bullet size.

Comment

I use a .270 but most will say a 30-06. I've gotten 24 elk in 26 years. Why fix it if it's not broken....
            One shot, one kill.

Comment

I dont think you have given enough information to answer the question, if we are talking long shots of a maximum of 400 i would reccomend a 338 of some type, but if its gonna be under 250, any good 308 3006 300 will function great

Comment

300 WSM with proper bullet selection will give outstanding results on all three.

Comment

I'd trust my Rem700 3006 on every N Am big game animal. I'd love to have the problem of wondering if a 3006 is enough gun for an Alaskan Brown Bear. Maybe Sarah will invite me on a hunt.

Comment

30-06 is my vote as long as you're confident with it plus ammo is cheap and easy to find.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad