Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best rifle to use for hunting all these big game animals as in one rifle not many.elk,caribou,moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best rifle to use for hunting all these big game animals as in one rifle not many.elk,caribou,moose

What is the best rifle to use for hunting all these big game animals as in one rifle not many.elk,caribou,moose

Remington 7600 chambered in 270 or 30-06. I prefer pump action that is why I said model 7600.

Comment

Remington Model 700 Bolt-Action in .270 or .30-06! That's where you get your accuracy at longer range shots! I would also look at a 7mm Remington or Weatherby Magnum, especially for those shots over 300 yards.

Comment

Everyone is gonna say .30-06

Comment

As far as chambering, the 30-06 is the bare minimum, and I feel adequate enough. I have one and would not hesitate to use it on any animal in North America short of Grizzly. It is probably enough gun for Griz but I would "FEEL" better with a big punch. But since I, like most people, want to carry more than I actually need, for those three I would love to have something in the .300 to .338 magnum. Good standard would be the .300 Win Mag. More than adequate for all three. If a nice trophy Moose stepped out and I was to nervous to wait for the perfect broad-side shot then I would shot the quartering front shoulder. A 30-06 will more than likely kill a big Moose in that shot, but it may not put him down quickly making retrieval difficult at best. But the .300 mag would probably put him down in short order no matter the angle.

Comment

I was looking at the 300 ultra mag is that too much.I am thinking of long shots.

Comment

It's hard to beat a good 30-06

Comment

30-06 all the way!!!

Comment

The 300 Rem Ultra Mag is a great choice if you don't mind paying extra for the different levels of loads. I really like the theory behind it but I want to be able to hand load the different levels myself. I haven't seen or read much about it as to any problems with the different levels of ammo. But the theory is sound and very interesting. It is a very good possible choice. One gun that is a 30-06, 300 win mag and a 300 win mag+ all in one. Sounds awesome.

Comment

bear39,
                    I own two 300 RUM and three 300 Win Mags. I like the Win Mags much the best. The 300 Ultra have more recoil are less accurate and do not kill any better or farther away. Have taken the animals mentioned above, plus a couple hundred others. So do have some experience in this area. Heck, it is hard to beat an 06

Comment

A .30-'06 will serve your purpose as well as anything,
                      just place your shots well. If bears could be encountered where you hunt, I would seriously consider a .338 Win Mag, but they have more recoil than an '06.

Comment

Great points guys. I think all that needs to be said has been!

Comment

bear39, I owned a 300 Win Mag and replaced it with a 25-06. When I found I was going to be stationed in Alaska, I knew I needed a cartridge that would be effective on Bear and have long Range potential and accuracy. I chose the 338 Win Mag and after 4 years in AK, I never regretted it. There is a serious problem in cartridge selection when deciding what to use. Remember, the average shot is going to be less than 200 yards more like 100 or less. If you look at the performance range of the 30 caliber bullets, you’ll find that the 30 cal magnums are either at the maximum performance range or well over it in velocity causing the bullet to explode rather than to penetrate which I’ve witnessed numerous of times. The 30-06 will do you a fine job, personally I prefer the 338 Win Mag. One more thing, were you find Elk and Moose you got big bear in the area to. The best and preferred rifle that worked best for Alaska I witnessed was the 338 Win Mag, but you got to find one that suits you the best, 73's

Comment

Happy Myles, may I add Sir

The best "BANG FLOP" on Bullwinkle was a Teenager shooting a 30-06 with over the counter 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt® and MAN, it went down like if it was hit by Thor's Hammer! The hooves were still in the tracks it was standing in, NO JOKE!

30-06 is no punk! It drives the bullet just at the right velocity!

Comment

Hey Happy, the definition of over kill is a 375 H&H.

Fella wounded a nice Bull Caribou never to be recovered but he also knocked down three cows with one shot!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by labrador12
                                You could listen to Jack del Rio and Larry Correia and blow off the hearings because they are a made for TV Stalinesque Show Trial too!. The same people...
                                Today, 04:09 PM
                              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                              • Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by labrador12
                                That is why so many citizens are outraged by the Jan 6 atrocity by the Brandon Justice Dept. Nothing illegalities are being blown out of proportion. Meanwhile...
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                06-24-2022, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by labrador12
                                In NY your guns are enumerated on your permit. In Pa the citizen is issued a permit. No questions are asked. No finger prints, no training requirements,....
                                Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X