Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone (ethically) killed a big game animal with an AR-15, .223?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone (ethically) killed a big game animal with an AR-15, .223?

Has anyone (ethically) killed a big game animal with an AR-15, .223?

I've shot more deer with my 22-250 than all my other firearms and bows put together with one shot each ranging all the way out to 700 yards just as dead as any other rifle.

DEAD IS DEAD!

That Sir should answer your question!

Comment

My uncle has a friend that only shoots 223. Shoots deer in the neck and they drop dead

Comment

This may stir some controversy but it's my own personal opinion; I don't condone (sp?) head and neck shots, I think too much can go wrong with them.

That being said, My Uncle killed a lot of deer and elk with a .223.

Comment

i dont know that i would shoot anything bigger than a deer, but i know 2 people that shoot deer with a 223 ar-15 style rifle and have never had any get away.

Comment

Yes the.223 is plenty gun for deer. I have never used the AR on deer but I have used .223 and never had a problem.

Comment

The .223 is a bit light, even for deer. Yes it kills them, but there is little margin for error. Club up a little

Comment

a good 55 grain soft point will do fine for a lung shot

Comment

still think .22 cal too light. We're not talking about sharpshooters here.

Comment

Yessir, I shot my first buck with a Colt AR-15, .223 FMJ, before I really knew better. Got it right through the aorta, pulverized the heart. That said, I DO NOT USE, nor recommend .223 for whitetail for the average deer hunter.

Comment

I use a stevens model 200 in 223 for deer hunting, I like 62 grain hollow points. I can get a box of 200 for around $90 and being able to practice that much allows me to be supremely confident every time I pull the trigger. I have shot 2 deer with it and recovered both within 20 yards. Heart shots.

Comment

Agreed with steve182 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by crm3006
                                From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
                                Today, 03:11 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
                                Today, 02:36 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
                                Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X