Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Thomas
    replied
    Anything from a .270 to .30-06 should he fine. Hell get a 338 winmag if you really want one.(But that's a little overkill)
    I'm a small 14 year old and the largest gun I can shoot without pain is a 338 lapua magnum so any of the large deer calibers should be fine for a 14 year old.

Leave a comment:

• Cameron Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by kjflorian View Post
    I would also suggest a .243, it's a good caliber for young kids starting out. It doesn't have a big recoil, so hopefully it would eliminate some flinching on your part.
    I am a mid sized 14 year old and I hunt bull moose with a 338 winmag. So a 14 year old should be fine with a 30-06 or even 300 winmag if he wants one.

Leave a comment:

• GunNut
    replied
    I say you can shoot any of them. Unless your a very big wimp you should have no trouble managing recoil. The first question everyone asks me is how bad does it recoil. Suck it up like a man, and shoot I can guarantee it won't be as bad as you thought.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    30-06!!!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Of the choices offered in the original question, I would go with the .30-06 with conditions. #1 there are "managed recoil"/low recoil 125 gr loads available for starter loads for young 'uns. Or #2, handload some 130 grain Hornady's or similar at starting loads until the 14 year old grows into full power loads.

Otherwise, my answer is none of the above: get a .25-06, .257 Roberts, or 7mm-08.

Leave a comment:

• infantry08
    replied
    I have to agree with Clay on this one....25-06 Rem all the way. Mild recoil, flat trajectory and it's pretty easy to find quality ammo. It's also available in economically priced rifles.

Leave a comment:

• timothyfaw
    replied
    30/6 is a powerful gun he should do fine.

Leave a comment:

• Richie
    replied
    270 should be fine

Leave a comment:

• adaboshi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jgn16
    replied
    I am a small for my age and i am 15 and .270 is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    30/06 because you can also use it for hunting elk.

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I would go with the 270. It is plenty big enough to take down any deer sized animal without punishing him.

Leave a comment:

• prairieghost
    replied
    a .243 will easily handle mule deer. mine has taken at least fifteen mule deer in the past eight years (all one shot, never has one gone more than twenty yards).

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    #1 there is no 257wssm and #2 a 308 has as much energy as a 3006 with the same recoil as a 7-08 hands down I would take the 308 ammo is easier to find. when you start to question a rifle round look at ballistics.

Leave a comment:

• tourneyking734
    replied
    the 270 is definitely the best gun to go with. it has enough knockdown power to take down a maine moose with a half decent shot yet it has a light enough recoil for most teenagers

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad