No announcement yet.

whats the right gun size for a four teen year old .243,.270,30/06 for mule deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandson Alex loves my 25-06 and so will you. Take all the good things of a cartridge such as performance in range and knock down power, handling and affordability, you’ll find the #1 choice with experienced shooters will say the 25-06 is by far the best all around cartridge for what you want to do. In New Mexico and Arizona, 600 yard shot on jack rabbits, coyotes and monster mule deer where the norm.

Bottom line

25-06 has magnum performance without the kick, it’s affordable and most common round and easy to find at your local sporting goods store.

Comment

PS the 25-06 beats the 257WSSM by 100fps at half the price

Comment

Depends on the size of the teenager, sensitivity to noise and recoil. I'd second the 25-06 or 25 WSSM they are awesome and are substantially stronger than the 243. Also a 308 or it's little brother a 7-08 are good rounds.

Comment

the 270 is definitely the best gun to go with. it has enough knockdown power to take down a maine moose with a half decent shot yet it has a light enough recoil for most teenagers

Comment

#1 there is no 257wssm and #2 a 308 has as much energy as a 3006 with the same recoil as a 7-08 hands down I would take the 308 ammo is easier to find. when you start to question a rifle round look at ballistics.

Comment

a .243 will easily handle mule deer. mine has taken at least fifteen mule deer in the past eight years (all one shot, never has one gone more than twenty yards).

Comment

I would go with the 270. It is plenty big enough to take down any deer sized animal without punishing him.

Comment

30/06 because you can also use it for hunting elk.

Comment

I am a small for my age and i am 15 and .270 is the way to go.

Comment

Comment

270 should be fine

Comment

30/6 is a powerful gun he should do fine.

Comment

I have to agree with Clay on this one....25-06 Rem all the way. Mild recoil, flat trajectory and it's pretty easy to find quality ammo. It's also available in economically priced rifles.

Comment

Of the choices offered in the original question, I would go with the .30-06 with conditions. #1 there are "managed recoil"/low recoil 125 gr loads available for starter loads for young 'uns. Or #2, handload some 130 grain Hornady's or similar at starting loads until the 14 year old grows into full power loads.

Otherwise, my answer is none of the above: get a .25-06, .257 Roberts, or 7mm-08.

Comment

30-06!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad