No announcement yet.

whats the right gun size for a four teen year old .243,.270,30/06 for mule deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the right gun size for a four teen year old .243,.270,30/06 for mule deer

whats the right gun size for a four teen year old .243,.270,30/06 for mule deer

I am 16 now, but when I was 10 or 11 I had no problem handling my dad's 30-30. So he should be fine with a 30/06.

Comment

How big is he? The 243 has light recoil and is an outstanding caliber for deer sized game. If you mean Elk or Black Bear the 270 of 06 is the better choice but they both have long actions, will be heavier and have more recoil.

Comment

The .270 is an excellent caliber that has enough punch to take down medium-sized big game without causing your teen to develop the dreaded flinch. That's not to say that the .30/06 isn't a wonderful caliber in its own right, but depending on the size of your kid and the weight of the rifle, it can kick a little hard for some. In my mind the .243 would be a good bit lighter than anything I would ever carry mule-deer hunting. The bullet is so light it tends to not leave much of a blood trail and can lead to wounded animals that are never recovered. I have seen this first-hand where the .243 doesn't leave enough of a blood-trail and the deer is either lost or found days later.

After reading Petzal for to long I finally acquired a 7mm/08 and discovered that it is an absolutely wonderful caliber. It pushes a 140 grain bullet at almost 3,000fps at the muzzel. It has very light recoil, and therefore can be made in a lighter gun which is a big bonus when having to walk a lot over the course of a day's hunt.

Comment

.270 or 30-06

Comment

I would also suggest a .243, it's a good caliber for young kids starting out. It doesn't have a big recoil, so hopefully it would eliminate some flinching on your part.

Comment

.243 is a little light for mule deer as they are tough and can be often a ways out considering their terrain. either the .270 or 30/06 will work well. i've used a .260 on mule deer many times with good results.

Comment

Its whatever you want. I got my .30-06 when I was 14 or 15 and just got a .243 at age 23 to have a gun to shoot deer and coyotes with. I think each caliber has its perks and you should try and shoot one of each a few times if you can find someone who will let you and go from there.

Comment

I am 12 and i have a 243.I also shoot whitetails but the 243 will kill a whitetail but i dont know about a mule deer.He should probably have a 270 considering his age and that he is hunting mule deer.

Comment

Get one of the larger calibers if you think he's big enough. Do you have a shotgun? If so let him shoot a box of slugs through it. If that doesn't bother him he's big enough. If it does, consider a .260 or 7-08.

Comment

30-06

Comment

I always take my 243 on if I plan on walking a long ways, the weight is wonderful and with the right bullet you should have no problem taking deer out to 300 yards with practice or you could go with a 308.

Comment

It depends on the size of the teen. If small framed I would stick to a short action caliber with a youth stock. If they are larger framed then a more adult sized rifle may be in order.

As far as caliber, Del makes an excellent recommendation in the 7mm-08. It will handle most any job assigned. If the teen is on the larger frame they should be able to handle the '06 or 270 just fine. Don't ever have a child or inexperienced shooter fire something that kicks like a mule to see if they are bothered by recoil.

Comment

25-06 hands down!

Comment

7mm-08 is the best round i've had for deer sized game. Hits as hard as a .270 within 300 yards. Kicks less than a .270 and .308. The .284 caliber bullet is great.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                                by DakotaMan
                                WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                                Today, 01:23 PM
                              • How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                                Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                              • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                                by Pmacc60
                                Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                                Today, 01:17 PM
                              • 30 06 bullets
                                by Cobey alvarez
                                What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                                07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by DakotaMan
                                Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                                Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X