Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm on an old gun collecting kick at the moment and am out to own old Belgian A5 Brownings. I believe this gun to be one of the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on an old gun collecting kick at the moment and am out to own old Belgian A5 Brownings. I believe this gun to be one of the

I'm on an old gun collecting kick at the moment and am out to own old Belgian A5 Brownings. I believe this gun to be one of the most useful, durable designs ever. What do they go for where you're at and what is your oppinion of them?

I have always wanted an A5. I think they are the quintessential shotgun. There are some naysayers out there who pick it apart for this and that reason. Shut Up! We both should have bought one new when the Browning Gold came out. Could have got a better deal. Used ones now still command top dollar and more.

Comment

Depends on the condition, I have seen them anywhere from $650 to $1200 in Idaho magnums usally bring more money.

Comment

I have one and it is the field grade model. After a tremendous cleaning its really nice. I bought mine below cost and i always see them down south at gun shows for $600 or more depending on the model. Good luck finding one you'll love it forever.

Comment

A few decades ago I collected A-5's even before I realized that Browning was moving them from Belgium to Japan. I suppose I have owned most Belgium models and all gauges at one time or another. I also had a few Rem M-11's and one Savage made on the same patents. Over the years other people cherished them more than me so I let most go for a substancial profit although that was not my original motivation. I always admired the fit and finish plus the way they handled. For some reason I always seemed to fill my bag quicker if I had an A-5 in my hands. It was also fun to be able to keep shooting ducks or geese while my Remington 1100 buddies were working on their guns in the blind. The old humpback had its oddities but if you knew how to set the rings and how little oil to put on the magazine they seemed to never wear out and just keep on shooting. I still have the first new one I ever bought along with three barrels. This last fact used to facinate my kid as he did not understand the concept of pre-screw-in choke days and what was accomplished by having barrels of different length as well as choke variations. A few years later the kid broke his first 25 at trap with this gun using the 30" full. In the west you don't see many of theses guns but the price for field grade in decent to excellent condition runs $700-$1200. Since there are lots of them down south the prices tend to be a little less according to my old friends who still live there. Box and documents add a bit more to some people. I once sold an A-5 Sweet Sixteen with 26" IC vent to a fellow. He asked if I had the box. I told him I was not sure. He replied that he wanted it as it was worth $50.00. I said hand me the $50 and I will go home and look for it. He walked away with the beautiful little 16 on his shoulder. Damn I wish I had that one back.

Comment

Depends upon the year and location made. Mine was manufactured in Belguim in 1947 which is the first post war production. I understand that the pre-war guns fetch a higher dollar and any A5 built outside of Belguim is of lower value. Take the serial number of any A5 and plug it into the Browning website and it will confirm date and location made.

I have never fired my A5. It's just too mint. I also own an A5 knock off made by Charles Daley in the 50's. Side by side you cannot tell the difference between the guns.

Comment

A few tips I thought of: watch for cracked forearms as the wood is thin which makes it feel nice in hand but also tends to create the aforementioned problem if people screw the magazine cap on too tight before firing. Sometimes the magazine rings are out of correct positioning or missing. Replacements are available from various sources. You might see cracks in the pistol grip area as well as soaked in oil residue for an previous overzealous lubrication. The original wood is difficult to obtain. Several companies can supply aftermarket replicas but this does detract from value but not shootability. The 20's and both magnums do seem to bring more money as do the barrels with ventilated or solid ribs. I used to see barrels with Simmons ribs like were once common on M-12's and people seem to accept this addition as increasing desirability status. Poly-chokes and Cutts Compensators decrease value. Special edition models are worth more if they are NIB, not some much more if fired. I have some original manuals that came with guns I accumulated over the years and can copy them to mail to you if that will help. Also remember that the Lightweights (gold trigger if the gold is not worn off from use) usually are worth more than standards but not substancial. Rounds knobs are sometimes more valuable than flat knobs to collectors. Watch for guns made up from parts such as someone putting a round knob stock on a flat knob receiver and then ask more money for it. Like someone else said Belgium guns normally bring more than Japanese manufacturered although both are equal in the field.

Comment

a-5's are excellent if you get the earlier ones. you can get a good idea of value or going price if you look through gun digest. i see them in there all the time.

Comment

HELP!!! I bought two A5s today at auction and I would like to know how old they are one is FN 243xxx and the other is OV 287XX thanks. Also any book on Proof marks or IDing age groups would be appreciated.

CB

Comment

I've got a Browning A5 Lightning 20, and love it for doubles and bird hunting. The only thing I don't like it the A-5 has a hard recoil on the last round, when the bolt locks open. Other than that, I love it.

Comment

Due to online auctions, there is no such thing as a local price anymore. Last year, very good A-5's were $700. Now they are $1,200.

Comment

I have a belgium a5 sn.81722 in good con. special steel 2 3/4 in. on the barrel ingraved with portrat of john browning. I believe it is 1926-1929 I would like to find exact year and aprox. value.I would be intrested in selling for reasonable price.

Comment

My neighbors had a great deal from a deceased soldiers because the wife sold it to him for about $800.00!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad