Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know why shotgun ammo is so cheap compared to rifle ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know why shotgun ammo is so cheap compared to rifle ammo?

Anyone know why shotgun ammo is so cheap compared to rifle ammo?

It won't shoot as far

Comment

i donno but i'm not compalneing

Comment

I'm no expert, but my guess would be the materials used to make them. With shotgun ammo, the hull is mostly plastic and the shot is lead only. The casing on rifle ammo is all metal (brass) and the bullet is lead coated with copper (unless it's a new "green" bullet or Barnes).

Comment

The metallic ammo inherently costs more to manufacture to exacting standards than does a plastic shotgun shell even considering the usual bit of metal on the later. The bullets may cost a lot more to produce than the shot load. Powder and primers appear to be about the same price. I am certain that another economical factor is that rare, hence seldom purchased, rifle cartridges cost more to the consumer because the manufactuers are attempting to recoup their investment in a low volume product. On the other hand reloading is comparatively inexpensive in relation to store bought ammunition depending principaly upon specific projectile selection.

Comment

Rifle and pistol ammo is high simply by demand. Employees at Wal-mart told me that they get a delivery on thursday and that night people have bought most of the ammo by the cases.

Comment

Answers 3 and 4 are pretty much right on the money.

Comment

I wouldn't call unleaded shotshells and slugs cheap, even in comparison to centerfire rounds.

In addition to the previous comments copper (and to a bit lesser extent, lead) costs went up tremendously over the last few years, driving up costs for brass and bullets.

Comment

supply demand

Comment

Plastic and lead is a lot cheaper then brass and copper.

Comment

shotshells are cheap to make. the hull is made of very little metal and plastic, there's not as much powder, shot is not as exact as bullets. all of this combined = a much cheaper product for the manufacturer and therefore for the consumer.

Comment

Brass costs more than plastic.

Comment

The war???

Comment

$BRASS > $PLASTIC

Comment

The cheapest 12 gauge I'm seeing is $20.88 per brick (100 rounds). That works out to roughly 21 cents a round. Pretty close to some of the bulk handgun ammo around.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit...
                                Today, 08:47 PM
                              • There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by crm3006
                                From Danbo: "Some of the cases that SCOTUS will hear next month. No 2A cases yet but I expect that to change."

We can only pray...
                                Today, 08:31 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by rock rat
                                Maybe you all don't understand how the legal process works. If someone isn't breaking any laws then we leave them alone here in the US. Just how things...
                                Today, 08:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X