Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a new shotgun because the one i have isn't ejecting the shell. My dad is telling me to by a pump so i don't have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a new shotgun because the one i have isn't ejecting the shell. My dad is telling me to by a pump so i don't have

I'm looking for a new shotgun because the one i have isn't ejecting the shell. My dad is telling me to by a pump so i don't have to worry about the shell getting stuck while 100 geese are over my head. The only thing is i'm used to an automatic, So what's your preference? Pump or Automatic? why?

If you are used to an auto then I would stick with it. Todays autos are very reliable, like the Benilli or the Remington. Either one would be a good choice. I shoot a pump right now, but I plan on buying an auto before next season.

Comment

Rebecca Ann,

Pump guns are very reliable. But so are today's semi auto's. Pump guns will be cheaper. Gas operated semi auto shotguns provide some recoil reduction. The most important consideration is making sure the gun you purchase fits you as far a stock lenght and drop.

Comment

First of all what are you shooting now and what's wrong with it. if it is just a worn out extractor or something minor & you like the gun have it fixed. They are not throw away guns.

That said if you don't like it sell it and get a Remington 11-87 or a Winchester SX2. My Brother shoots an 11-87 and has every year for Dove and Ducks and has had no problems. I shoot an SX2 and love it. Its a soft shooting gun that I can use all day.

Comment

I shoot semi-auto's almost exclusively. The trick is with a new semi-auto you cannot shoot the cheap low brass ammo. I shot a buddies new Stoeger 2000 yesterday, it is built with the Benelli action in a Stoeger gun. It is inertia driven and did extremely well with high brass dove loads. We only had one jam and that was with a low brass #8 after about 500 rounds. If we had bothered to clean it or oil it before the jam it may not have happened. It is well worth the less than $400 price tag.

If money is not that much of a concern Beretta, Remington, and Bennelli are the way to go.

Comment

RebeccaAnn,

Stick with the semi-auto. Just make sure the stock fits you. Many are made in women's stock size. Remington is one that comes to mind, not sure of the others. Semi-auto's have less recoil and you don't have to move to cycle in another round. A good thing if you Turkey hunt and don't want to be seen.

Comment

Try pump. It don't hurt to know how to operate an automatic and a pump.

Comment

i've shot both. i prefer the pump... i feel like i have more control over the firearm. plus the 870 always goes bang.

Comment

Listen to your father.

Comment

Automatic for quicker fallow ups. I would go with a Remington 11-87 Sportsman. I have never had mine jam on me (nock on wood). And it was ony 550 dollars.

Comment

Remmington Semi-auto

Comment

I would get a pump. A pump like the remington 870 just doesnt stop shooting. Plus you can pump one pretty fast with some practice and patience. We have gotten dirt in the ejector, popped it out, and it didnt even slow it down, it just kept going.

Comment

Its more personal preference, I can make pretty quick follow ups with my BPS pump but I do like some of the newer semi autos are nice shooting guns, but every gun jams just some more than others. I've found some loads jam more in my gun than others it could be your ammo not your gun.

Comment

save the money,keep your gun and take it to a gunsmith and tell them to put a new extractor in.

Comment

I prefer pump but I like semi autos too. My duck gun is a Benelli Super Nova and I love it. Its super reliable and easy to clean.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                                Today, 06:44 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                                Today, 06:35 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X