Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the 870 the best shotgun ever? i think so how about u guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the 870 the best shotgun ever? i think so how about u guys?

is the 870 the best shotgun ever? i think so how about u guys?

Most versitile, most widley used, best inexpensive shotgun sure, but the best overall, I don't know. I know many will disagree but to me it is a very good gun made at an unbelievably low price and is an awesome value. But to me I would rather shoot a Winchester model 12 if given the option of pump guns to use. If you have never shot one of these you are truly missing out, and you understand why they can't be made at a competitive price nowadays.

Comment

The 870 is a very good shotgun. As far as popularity it might just be so.

Comment

I don't know Golfing Sportsman. When I reach into my gun cabinet my hands passes a lot of mighty fine weapons before landing on the old Wingmaster. Cheap or not I'd say the 870 has downed more game than the rest combined. I love it.

Comment

Buckhunter, i agree with you, my 870 has killed more deer, rabbits and squirrels than all my other guns combined but when i hold it next to my grandpas old model 12 it just doesn't compare as far as quality and craftsmanship are concerned or pointability for that matter. Best overall is such a subjective way of looking at it to, mostly it comes down to opinion and personal preference.

Comment

Golfing sportsman is right it is probably the gun that has killed the most game but as far as fitting me it isn't even close. My BPS and the number of others I've shot are much better balanced guns. It mostly comes down to personal preference but in my opinion the 870 isn't the best gun.

Comment

I have an 870 and a winchester model 12. If I am taking a pump I am taking the model 12. Thats just my opinion. I mostly shoot semi-auto nowadays so the pumps do not get much use. The 870's sister shotgun, the 1100 is an awesome shotgun and I use mine regularly.

Comment

It's hard to ever call one gun the best. But the 870 is among the best, I will say that.

Comment

The 870 is definately a great gun. The Winchester model 12 is too. If I had to pick one I would go with the 870.

Comment

I agree with you

Comment

I would say that the 870 is probably the most used gun, however saying that it is the best gun ever. I'm sure that there are alot of people that have a good argument that their gun is the best ever.

Comment

The winchester model 12 set the bar for many, many years as the best pump shotgun in the world. Remington built the 870 based on the model 12.

The model 12 became to expensive, hence winchester began taking shortcuts and this was sacrilegious to model 12 shooters. The 870 has also underwent manufacturing shortcuts but for some reason was never labeled a sell out, and its current popularity is a test to this.

It if was 1962 I would purchase the model 12. The 870 of today is probably better than the model 12 was in its heyday.

Comment

I should clarify my previous post; the 870 wingmaster is probably better than the model 12 was in its heyday. The 870 express and any of the other low end offerings don't compete.

Comment

My old winchester model 12 is my favorite. Ive shot a few 870s but I still like the model 12 better. Thats just my opinion.

Comment

The only difference in the wingmaster and the express is it has a prettier stock. 870's don't malfunction and I think that was the intent of this blog.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                                Today, 01:11 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X