16 gauge in 3"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter

By looking at web photos, now I'm pretty sure it was a J.C. Higgins because of the way I remember loading and the placement of the safety. But it has been 45 years since I've last seen that shotgun. Mostly I ran #6's or #8's and don't remember recoil being an issue.

Here's a little about the J.C. Higgins:

26 inch barrel with 2-3/4 inch chamber and Full choke. 3-3/4 inch LOP.

I had to go look because JC Higgins was the house brand name for Sears but the firearms were all made by other manufacturers. This was the second thing I checked out and the gun looks to be the same model as the one you posted.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/06/20...ggins-model-10

Can’t say I’m surprised at the mention of H&R but found it very interesting that High Standard was a possibility.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.9 KB ID:	795314 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	334.9 KB ID:	795315 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.7 KB ID:	795316 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	358.6 KB ID:	795317 This is my Mossberg mod 190 16ga with Celect Choke, removable mag and well aged leather sling. The family has shot a few deer with this gun.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I had to go look because JC Higgins was the house brand name for Sears but the firearms were all made by other manufacturers. This was the second thing I checked out and the gun looks to be the same model as the one you posted.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/06/20...ggins-model-10

Can’t say I’m surprised at the mention of H&R but found it very interesting that High Standard was a possibility.
        Wow! It's been a long time since I dug back into that history! LOL!

Revelation shotguns were made for and mainly marketed by "Western Auto".
        J.C. Higgins was the same way for "Sears & Roebuck" when Roebuck was still part of the name!
        Sears also marketed a line of firearms under the auspices of baseball great Ted Williams. I believe those were generally made by Mossberg.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.9 KB ID:	795314 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	334.9 KB ID:	795315 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.7 KB ID:	795316 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	358.6 KB ID:	795317 This is my Mossberg mod 190 16ga with Celect Choke, removable mag and well aged leather sling. The family has shot a few deer with this gun.
          That's the one my brother and I have from our grandfather. I used it quite a few seasons for small game.

With 14 kids (12 of them girls, and him a farmer), Gramps never had the money for any fine guns, and that 16 and a Ranger single-shot .22 were the only ones he left us. Still, the shotgun put a good many birds and bunnies on the table, and the .22 accounted for a good many squirrels.

Comment

Stumbling around another website. Found an ad for two 5 packs of number 1 buck and two 5 packs of 4/5 oz slugs!
            Good price! I jumped!
            By golly! Got 'em!

When researching the price, I found that Federal AND Remington (and some weirdo foreign makers!) are loading steel, hevi-shot and TSS ($75/box 🤯) for the 16 gauge!

So fear not 16 gauge lovers, the market is coming around!
            I won't buy any non-toxic 16 gauge ammo, but I still pick up a box of the lead stuff when I find a decent (?) deal.
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-02-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Fawns
              by FirstBubba
              A deer's normal diet, browse (or "mast") is in full production right now. If you're having wet weather, deer don't have to move far for food,...
              Today, 05:48 PM
            • Fawns
              by MattM37
              How's your local herd doing? Around here I seldom see many fawns in May, but everything seems to be a couple-three weeks ahead of schedule and we'll...
              Yesterday, 07:21 PM
            • Reply to The Constitution or The Big Lie?
              by bowhunter75richard
              Anybody who can not see real dangers ahead under this administration is completely brain dead, and one who has no concerns for the country and its citizens...
              Today, 05:23 PM
            • The Constitution or The Big Lie?
              by rock rat
              We've had almost 250 years of a peaceful transition of power. Our constitution is mostly about how we elect and who can be elected or appointed to the...
              05-22-2022, 07:24 AM
            • Reply to Georgia Primary (this one looks to be fun)
              by Grete
              Thank you for that, I do. Now we are together on the same page....
              Today, 04:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X