20th century goose killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th century goose killer

I am way out of the realm of waterfowl hunters and the guns they use.
    Yesterday I heiped a friend catalog her father's guns and handled an 870 and a BPS, both in 10 gauge. My God, those things l didn't want to carry from the kitchen to the garage. In 3 1/2", after the weight of the gun, they still must've kicked like a mule. My first hand experience with a 20th century cannon. Didn't shoot 'em . Just hefted them.

Things are comfortable in pheasant land with 2 3/4 12 guage

Are you referring to a Remington sp-10? (Autoloader) cause there ain't no such beast as a 10ga model 870. Or did you mean a 3-1/2" 12ga?

Comment

The number "10" followed by the word "gauge" makes my eyes roll back in my head! 🙄!
      I recently watched a movie (Appaloosa) with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen.
      Mortensen's character carried a double barrel EIGHT GAUGE!!!!!
      EGADS AND LITTLE FISHES!

You can STILL buy loading components for an 8 gauge and (I think) even a 6 gauge.
      I can't imagine pulling the trigger on something like that. It's just incomprehensible! LOL!

Capstick wrote of two Englishmen who were some of the first hunters in India. One of them carried a "gun" he called "Baby".
      It was a muzzle loading "2 GAUGE"!🤯

"Gauge: the number of lead balls the same diameter of the bore required to weigh one pound"

A 2 gauge would shoot a single lead ball of one half pound.
      I wonder what the "ballistic coefficient" of a half pound lead round ball is?

Did you happen to get any pictures?

Comment

In my experience, a goose decoying with its feet down and wings outstretched at 25 yds is dead meat flying to anyone carrying a modern shotgun. 20, 16, 12, makes no difference. Learning to place decoys and to call is what hunting is about. Shooting geese at ranges over 35 yds is a different story. Setting decoys so that the shots are over 35 yds is a different story. Shooting deer and elk at over 400 yds is possible, but its not the same as stalking them to inside 50 yds. Hunters and shooters are different folks.

Comment

I've shot 10ga's quite a bit, in fact my first turkey only gun here in Missouri was a H&R single shot 10ga. Stout, but not fierce. My dads double 10 wasn't bad at all and he used it with only 1 arm. What is wicked is The 3-1/2" 12ga in the Mossberg ultimate-mag pump, a lightweight gun. It is much much worse and I question the sanity of anyone shooting one on a regular basis. Masochists. Simple physics can't be argued with. Weight mitigates recoil. Fact. Forcing the same charge/payload through a smaller channel increases the ouch. Is what it is. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Are you referring to a Remington sp-10? (Autoloader) cause there ain't no such beast as a 10ga model 870. Or did you mean a 3-1/2" 12ga?
            Sorry, memories got jumbled. They were a BPS and if IRC a Mossberg.

Comment

I recently had a chance to own the H and R 10-gauge I once borrowed to hunt turkeys. No charge, even, but I declined. I'm happy with the little full-choked youth-model 20-gauge, weighing in at about a third of the HR and shooting a perfectly lethal pattern at 35 yards.
              Last edited by MattM37; 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I only had my 10ga for 4 seasons then sold it to my youngest brother who only used it twice. It wasn't worth the extra shell cost when a 3" 12ga did all we could ask after the boom (excuse the pun) in premium aftermarket extended choke tubes. I've taken the most turkeys with an 11-87 special purpose. Brother has an ultra-mag but uses 3" as well. Now he has dads 32" A5 so maybe he'll try that.

Comment

My brother owned a HR single barrel ten , still have some of the shells around . Dewman is correct recoil was noticeable but not so much you wouldn’t shoot it. My cousin owned a Ithaca auto 10 , it killed geese stone dead at some incredible ranges ! Back growing up in Maryland’s Eastern shore Canadians flew over our house all day long in the fall. Always just out of range that HR of my brothers taught some lessons ! The 31/2 inch 12 stole the 10’s thunder but they do not kill like a 31/2 10 gauge does.

Comment

I decided long ago, after a very limited experience with a 10 gauge, that iffen I can't kill it with my 1100 3' magnum, it just don't need to be dead.

Comment

Not 10ga related but the recoil stories reminded me of this. Dad told me once that at around ten years old he was pestering my grandfather to shoot his shotgun during some kind of family function where the adult men had been shooting clays. When Grandpa finally relented dad tried to chicken out. Grandpa wasn’t having any part of that and made dad step up. No idea if it was intentional or not but my old man yanked back on both triggers with two shells in the SxS that literally knocked him on his rear.

I have an 835 and have shot several 3.5” Turkey loads through it that I’d been given. She’s stout.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad