September gun of the month - your favorite shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September gun of the month - your favorite shotgun

Doves for me, squirrels or clays for others, but September is getting out our favorite shotguns to once again start our fall.
    My favorite is my 1100lt-20 I've had since the mid 70's. Colorado, Michigan,Missouri,South Dakota, Kentucky,Illinois, even Canada years ago. I've got my new Benelli o/u my son just bought me as well as my dads Browning A5 light20 that are very light and lively and for sure will see action(I've already again agreed to the miserable hell they call Teal season again just to try the o/u) but I know for the dove opening day for the first hours at least, my Remington will be in my hands. So my friends, show and tell us about your favorite scattergun. Stay safe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	776992 dads A5 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	776993 my 1100 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	776994 Benelli 828u, gift from my son

OMG! Favorite? All of them! LOL!
    I've taken more turkeys, squirrels, dove, etc with my old 1990 model Rem 870.
    I move from that to my two 16 gauge Win M12's.
    Shoulder surgery in 2019 and the recoil of the M12's is just a tad much. ☹
    A friend gave me an older Mossberg bolt action .410 to turkey hint with. Lord willing, I WILL kill at least one turkey with it! The tungsten ammo is $6/shell!!!😳

That brings me to my current "favorite"(?).
    A impromptu stop at a local pawn shop and an older semi auto with a slim looking barrel popped out.
    It was a Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge!
    When I got it home, it proved to be one of the first 500 made in 1932! 😃
    The barrel was choked IC but wasn't the barrel installed when manufactured, so I sent it to Briley and had it threaded for choke tubes!
    Recoil is quite acceptable to the shoulder, but even then, I don't think I'd care to spend a day on the trap/skeet range with it! LOL!
    Sorry! No pics! I'm in one place. Guns in another!

Comment

Hmmm, I don't use a shotgun much for hunting since I'm not after birds. My 12 gauge 870 is my favorite but I'll probably just tote the NEF 12 gauge single shot if hunting squirrels near homes.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman
        FB: $6 a round! Dang! Good thing that 410 ain't semi auto. I've had a couple model 11's, a 12 & a 20. Recoil from the 20 was fine but I thought the 12 rather stiff. Wish I would have kept the 20, it had 3 barrels. I can see what makes a particular gun our favorite might be different for all of us.
        Got the .410 just as the ammo rush began.
        I couldn't find ANY 3" ammo in #8's or #9's. The only thing I could find was the Federal "Turkey" ammo with #9 tungsten shot! A five round box was $30.
        I patterned the gun with some 2.5" #8's. I shot ONE of the tungsten rounds, just to see! Now all I need is a turkey up close! LOL!

I'm still not able to locate any 3" shells with #9 shot!
        Hell, I can't even find 3" ANYTHING in .410!

Comment

I only own a Winchester 1200 12-gauge (deer gun) and a Mossberg 500 20-gauge (small game and turkey, screw-in choke tubes). I do have the bird barrel for the 12-gauge and used to use it year-round. It's a modified choke, but with the right loads it shot a perfectly lethal turkey pattern at 30-35 yards. It wasn't so great for grouse and woodcock, though. I could hit birds with it but carrying it and swinging it on a bird in brush wasn't much of a treat (28-inch barrel).

So, no particular favorite.

I also own a defunct old Westernfield 12-gauge pump, my first shotgun. Likely I'll never pay a gunsmith to put it back in working order, but it put a decent amount of game on the table and I'll probably have it leaning in the corner for the rest of my life.

Comment

I pretty well stick to my 870 Wingmaster for shotgun work. My favorite of all time though is the Benelli Black Eagle. It is almost beyond belief in reducing recoil of heavy loads. The heaviest 12 gauge 3 1/2" BBB Magnum load I shoot for coyotes doesn't even raise the muzzle. You are literally ready to fire a follow up shot or pick your next target instantly. A couple of years ago I missed a coyote on the first shot (I was riding shotgun at 97 mph and the coyote was running top speed the opposite direction about 80 yards out). I miscalculated the lead on the first shot and instantly fired the second which connected just fine. My brother who was driving thought I was kidding when I told him that I had fired twice. He said he only heard one shot. I didn't have much choice on that one though as the coyote was only in range for about 1 second, given the 145 mph closing speed. That shotgun is like no other. I don't think I could have made that shot with any other shotgun because a second goes by pretty fast.

Comment

My rust bucket 870 express. I had to polish the chamber because cheap Trap loads would get stuck. However it always goes bang and has killed a lot of Turkeys , Geese , Grouse and rabbits/hares over the years.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E91641B1-1EFD-410D-854A-1F1FB5019E98.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	777026

Beretta BL3 made in 1968.

Comment

​ OH! OH! OH! Here's my Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge!

Name:	20210310_172258.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	777169

These are the tubes Briley provided
                  Top to bottom:
                  light modified
                  improved modified
                  extra full

Name:	20210111_105326.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	777170
                  She's been used, but not abused. I sure would like to know what happened to the original barrel!(?)
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-06-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Uh any of them I own. But I have a sweet spot for my Remington autos. I finally found myself an 11-87 super had for two or three years and haven’t shot it yet but I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                      Uh any of them I own. But I have a sweet spot for my Remington autos. I finally found myself an 11-87 super had for two or three years and haven’t shot it yet but I got it.
                      In 1987 Remington won the Manufacturers Award for quality control. If a manuf. rack had a gun that was out of spec in some way, they would reject the entire rack and examine each one for tolerances. The goal was for any part of any gun to function flawlessley in any other gun - and they do. I had a lot of friends who worked for Big Green over the years.
                      I hope they come out with some good, competitive guns - they are more than capable of doing so.

Comment

I'm hoping that very much as well, jhjimbo, fingers crossed🤞

Comment

My Benelli 12 gauge semi is my favorite

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                            My Benelli 12 gauge semi is my favorite
                            Which model Ernie? Also, do you hunt a variety of birds/game with it or do you target a specific species? Clays maybe? You are very good at framing your photos you share so if you have any that are shotgun related please feel free to post 'em.

Comment

M2
                              For hunting only.
                              I have only used it for jump shooting ducks, since I have been in Wyoming. Before that, have used it for dove, quail, and pheasant.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am not sure I fully understand the argument concerning natural immunity and vaccination. Natural immunity is being claimed to be of greater protection...
                                Today, 07:20 AM
                              • COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                The biden administration is now concerned that the UN General Assembly taking place in NYC, has the potential of being a super-spreader of the Covid virus...
                                09-19-2021, 07:29 AM
                              • Reply to This Could Be Bad
                                by jhjimbo
                                I don't worry about this stuff, I just stay informed....
                                Today, 03:21 AM
                              • This Could Be Bad
                                by jhjimbo
                                My guess is variants from the Covid strain to the R-1, a new strain will be bad - bad in a sense it can mutate faster than we can develop antibodies...
                                Yesterday, 05:28 PM
                              • Reply to This Could Be Bad
                                by Danbo
                                Perhaps we all should turn off the news and radio shows. We should live our lives and have fun. You never know when our time is up no sense in worrying...
                                Today, 02:50 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X