Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couldn’t help my self see post question is long.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn’t help my self see post question is long.

Bought another 870 mag express today at a pawn shop.

Thinking of making dedicated slug gun. Trigger work and all.

I want eliminate the slop between the receiver and the barrel.

I only know of two ways. Epoxy or drill and thread with a couple of screws or set screws.

I know I could buy a bolt slug gun, don’t want one.

Has anyone tried any of these. I’ve seen it done never tried it. I figure epoxy is the easiest to get back to normal if I screw it up.

thought ideas suggestions.

'dawg, in my limited experience in a gun shop and having owned an 870 for 30 years, the barrel/reciever fit should, I repeat "should", be about as tight as necessary (as it's going to get) with just the foreend cap.
    Can you feel/see slack between the two?
    Are you just trying to get a solid fit like between the barrel and reciever of a bolt rifle?

Are you anywhere near a competent gunsmith? If so, I'd let him take a look at it.
    I would be reluctant to do any epoxy or drilling or set screws without consulting a 'smith first.

I've checked online. There doesn't seem to be an 870 barrel/reciever shim kit I can find. 🤷‍♂️
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-27-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Browning target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	510.9 KB ID:	776359 Click image for larger version  Name:	Browning BPS 014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	679.8 KB ID:	776360
      Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      'dawg, in my limited experience in a gun shop and having owned an 870 for 30 years, the barrel/reciever fit should, I repeat "should", be about as tight as necessary (as it's going to get) with just the foreend cap.
      Are you just trying to get a solid fit like between the barrel and reciever of a bolt rifle?

Are you anywhere near a competent gunsmith? If so, I'd let him take a look at it.
      I would be reluctant to do any epoxy or drilling or set screws without consulting a 'smith first.

I've checked online. There doesn't seem to be an 870 barrel/reciever shim kit I can find. 🤷‍♂️
      Get a Browning BPS, reasonable price, around $500 for a quality, all steel. gun. Browning accuracy is partly due to a centering piece by the knob that brings the barrel to the receiver the exact same way every time it is installed. My model is a Turkey and Deer model. I am using the Browing extended choke rifled tube. My target is 100 yds, rapid fire as fast as I could cycle actiion - Ouch, Winchester Supreme 12ga 3" Sabots. You can see some stringing as it heats up.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	Browning target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	510.9 KB ID:	776359 Click image for larger version Name:	Browning BPS 014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	679.8 KB ID:	776360

Get a Browning BPS, reasonable price, around $500 for a quality, all steel. gun. Browning accuracy is partly due to a centering piece by the knob that brings the barrel to the receiver the exact same way every time it is installed. My model is a Turkey and Deer model. I am using the Browing extended choke rifled tube. My target is 100 yds, rapid fire as fast as I could cycle actiion - Ouch, Winchester Supreme 12ga 3" Sabots. You can see some stringing as it heats up.
        If I could find one. Haven’t seen one for sale in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I may try retaining compound at first. This depends on me finding a slug barrel that isn’t priced at the highway robbery level.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

I may try retaining compound at first. This depends on me finding a slug barrel that isn’t priced at the highway robbery level.
            Uhm... okay.
            Good luck on finding much of anything made of ordnance steel that isn't nine prices.
            I think if you find a slug barrel and snug it up real good, it will do just fine.

Comment

Milldawg, I have never tried to improve the precision of an 870 although it has been my #1 shotgun for over 30 years. I do make precision long range rifles as a hobby though and am therefore well aware of all the machining operations that provide precision. An 870 combined with a shotgun shell has none of those and therefore does not shoot as accurately as a benchrest rifle. It shoots just fine as a scattergun and it shoots slugs well enough to kill deer with a pie plate sized kill zone. My suggestion is to not risk interfering with its operation using epoxy and just make sure your barrel is tight using the magazine cap. If you need 100 yard 1" group size, use your 25-06 or use a good black powder rifle.

I've never had any trouble killing deer using a slug within 75 yards other than that there is no shock and they often get up and run for a quarter of a mile or more after being shot in the vitals.

Comment

On my 870 Express, I've used a 20-inch smooth bore with rifle sights and REM choke. The rifled choke tube with sabot slugs were slightly better accuracy than just an Improved Cylinder and Foster type slugs. My range limit is 50 yards.

As far as securing the barrel, I've never noticed any slop between the barrel and the receiver. I just hand tighten the heck out of the barrel nut. Maybe blue Loctite could improve the hold. There's no way I would epoxy the barrel to the receiver because I want be able to easily switch back to a ribbed barrel if necessary.

Mine stays loaded under the bed in the configuration shown. No trigger work. I consider the setup to be for short range. Got other firearms for better long range performance. Dropped a nice deer with mine and this little pig. Haven't hunted with slugs in almost 20 years because of the better options I've mentioned. It is primarily my turkey gun and for home defense.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pig 12 gauge.JPG Views:	0 Size:	475.9 KB ID:	776383
                Last edited by PigHunter; 07-28-2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

My friend, your concept baffles me. The very essence of the 870 is as a jack of all trades. To turn it into a master (i. e. dedicated) when the Savage 220 is available is confusing to me. I know you don't want a bolt gun, BUT, if you want dedicated slug accuracy to 200+ yds, then that is your path. My extended family in Michigan all went the 20 gauge route after seeing what a Savage 220 could do. If you just want to shoot traditional slugs, the Lightfields, Brennekes, or Federal Truball are your best bets but don't expect miracles. Pinning a barrel won't improve accuracy of the rig per se, mostly all it does is allow a receiver mounted optic to stay sighted in, something you can lose with sloppy barrel fit. My 2cents.

Comment

Blame this idea coming from the AR builds, the tinkering bug has bitten hard.

Go ahead and scratch whatever inch ails ya ‘dawg, it’s your time and money. Worst case it doesn’t meet expectations and you send it down the road.

That said I’d think about what Dewman suggested about the Savage 220 if the end goal is an accurate slug gun. You’ve often mentioned not liking recoil, even if the 870 turns out well you may not enjoy shooting it.

Comment

24 years ago I spent an afternoon at the range with the 870, checking the accuracy of different types and manufacturer of slugs. I just wore a t-shirt and the factory recoil pad did practically nothing to soften the blows. There was a deep bruising to my shoulder and upper chest that turned from blue to yellow over the next two weeks. It was very uncomfortable. After that slug session, I bought and started using a PAST pad at the range. Just saying...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recoil Pad.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	776408

Comment

Flinching is no friend to accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          My friend, your concept baffles me. The very essence of the 870 is as a jack of all trades. To turn it into a master (i. e. dedicated) when the Savage 220 is available is confusing to me. I know you don't want a bolt gun, BUT, if you want dedicated slug accuracy to 200+ yds, then that is your path. My extended family in Michigan all went the 20 gauge route after seeing what a Savage 220 could do. If you just want to shoot traditional slugs, the Lightfields, Brennekes, or Federal Truball are your best bets but don't expect miracles. Pinning a barrel won't improve accuracy of the rig per se, mostly all it does is allow a receiver mounted optic to stay sighted in, something you can lose with sloppy barrel fit. My 2cents.
                          Sometimes an itch just pops up. And I have more than one 870. And I have 20 gauge 870. More of a see what I can get from it. I have a cva optima that shoots extremely well. Just looking for a solution to an almost unfixable problem honestly.

Comment

Curious Dawg: why a slug gun where you live? Just because? You've got some great rifles, you don't hunt deer all that much, so I'm again confused. You would not want a gun that punishes on the range then sits in a closet, right? Enlighten me compadre.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              On my 870 Express, I've used a 20-inch smooth bore with rifle sights and REM choke. The rifled choke tube with sabot slugs were slightly better accuracy than just an Improved Cylinder and Foster type slugs. My range limit is 50 yards.

As far as securing the barrel, I've never noticed any slop between the barrel and the receiver. I just hand tighten the heck out of the barrel nut. Maybe blue Loctite could improve the hold. There's no way I would epoxy the barrel to the receiver because I want be able to easily switch back to a ribbed barrel if necessary.

Mine stays loaded under the bed in the configuration shown. No trigger work. I consider the setup to be for short range. Got other firearms for better long range performance. Dropped a nice deer with mine and this little pig. Haven't hunted with slugs in almost 20 years because of the better options I've mentioned. It is primarily my turkey gun and for home defense.

Click image for larger version Name:	Pig 12 gauge.JPG Views:	0 Size:	475.9 KB ID:	776383
                              what do you keep it loaded with. ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad