Is It Legal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Legal

Is it legal to shoot clay pigeons over deep, open Lake water with lead shot.?

New York's regulations only specify when you're actually hunting waterfowl. Are you making the point that it's pointless to prohibit lead shot for waterfowl hunting but still allow the shooting when someone's not actually hunting? I can see that point -- a round of clay pigeon shooting would put a lot more lead into the ecosystem than an average day of duck hunting.

Another issue, though, would be the act of polluting the lake, unless the pigeons are the biodegradable kind.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
      New York's regulations only specify when you're actually hunting waterfowl. Are you making the point that it's pointless to prohibit lead shot for waterfowl hunting but still allow the shooting when someone's not actually hunting? I can see that point -- a round of clay pigeon shooting would put a lot more lead into the ecosystem than an average day of duck hunting.

Another issue, though, would be the act of polluting the lake, unless the pigeons are the biodegradable kind.
      They are and the lead would sink way below the bottom in the muck, just like where the mercury went. Out of the reach of bottom dwellers and out of the main mater.

Comment

Went through this awhile back.
        I don't have any idea about Ohio and what laws they might have passed, but in general, you can't hunt waterfowl with anything but nontoxic shot. Whether it's over water or a wheatfield. No toxic shot! Period!

BUT.....if you wanted to set up and shoot dove over the same wheatfield or waterway, lead shot is perfectly legal.

NOW.... Let's back up a step!
        There are two different types of lead.
        1) metallic
        2) soluble

Metallic lead (lead used in bullets and shotguns) is NOT a problem.
        Soluble lead (paint, gasoline, insecticides, etc) is VERY toxic and a HUGE problem.

Lead shot consumed by waterfowl is passed through their intestines* just like if you swallowed lead shot from a dove, quail or squirrel.
        ....OR the lead fragments in you venison.

Not trying to start any arguments, just what I've seen/read lately!

*sure it goes in their crop, but birds are constantly picking up grit, pebbles, etc. That's because it passes through them and they have to swallow more to go in their crop.
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-23-2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I thought the shot in the crop caused the trouble. Ducks picked up shot from the lake bottom, it is ground in the craw, enters the blood stream with digestion, and boom, dead duck. Same with lead fragments in offal piles. Digestion makes it soluble. That's the argument used to outlaw lead shot, bullets, and fishing tackle. What's true?

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
            I thought the shot in the crop caused the trouble. Ducks picked up shot from the lake bottom, it is ground in the craw, enters the blood stream with digestion, and boom, dead duck. Same with lead fragments in offal piles. Digestion makes it soluble. That's the argument used to outlaw lead shot, bullets, and fishing tackle. What's true?
            It takes a chemical reaction to convert "metallic" lead into "soluble" lead. As strong as they are, digestive acids aren't that strong.
            There were studies with the California condor* that proved the condor was picking up soluble lead from other sources.
            Garbage dumps, insecticides, etc.

With liberal deer limits in Texas, hunters kill a couple hundred thousand deer every year, MANY of them gutted where they fell!
            Texas does not have a problem with turkey vultures dying of lead poisoning!
            Nor has "lead poisoning" affected the coyote or feral hog population.

One pro "nontoxic shot" study claimed that the ingestion of as little as one or two #8 pellets would kill a mallard.

* - Necropsy of dead condor chicks showed death was most often caused by garbage bits, no doubt fed to them by their parents. Glass bits, bolts, screws, bottle caps, etc.
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-23-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Went through this awhile back.
              I don't have any idea about Ohio and what laws they might have passed, but in general, you can't hunt waterfowl with anything but nontoxic shot. Whether it's over water or a wheatfield. No toxic shot! Period!

BUT.....if you wanted to set up and shoot dove over the same wheatfield or waterway, lead shot is perfectly legal.

NOW.... Let's back up a step!
              There are two different types of lead.
              1) metallic
              2) soluble

Metallic lead (lead used in bullets and shotguns) is NOT a problem.
              Soluble lead (paint, gasoline, insecticides, etc) is VERY toxic and a HUGE problem.

Lead shot consumed by waterfowl is passed through their intestines* just like if you swallowed lead shot from a dove, quail or squirrel.
              ....OR the lead fragments in you venison.

Not trying to start any arguments, just what I've seen/read lately!

*sure it goes in their crop, but birds are constantly picking up grit, pebbles, etc. That's because it passes through them and they have to swallow more to go in their crop.
              You are already off point. Refer to question #1.

Comment

I answered the question. Sorry if you didn't catch the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  I answered the question. Sorry if you didn't catch the answer.
                  No you did not. I am shooting clay pigeons. Can't you read and have reading comprehension ?

Stop with all the blather nobody is interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

No you did not. I am shooting clay pigeons. Can't you read and have reading comprehension ?

Stop with all the blather nobody is interested in.
                    You're just being obtuse jimbo. Just chill. Nobody's complaining but you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to VooDoo
                      by MattM37
                      What's wrong with voodoo? How do you think I won those Field and Stream caption contests? I had my little "Fishing Editor" doll, my little...
                      Today, 05:44 PM
                    • VooDoo
                      by jhjimbo
                      These are the people streaming into the U.S. ilegially.
                      https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...IRBPRS&first=1...
                      09-19-2021, 04:17 AM
                    • Reply to This Could Be Bad
                      by jhjimbo
                      Bat Lady at Wuhan Lab has around 1500 Corona viruses catologued...
                      Today, 05:37 PM
                    • This Could Be Bad
                      by jhjimbo
                      My guess is variants from the Covid strain to the R-1, a new strain will be bad - bad in a sense it can mutate faster than we can develop antibodies...
                      Yesterday, 05:28 PM
                    • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                      by MattM37
                      Thanks, Fitch -- interesting info, and you also triggered some good memories of my friend in high school who introduced me to punk and alternative music....
                      Today, 05:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X