Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourjaily on the 10 gauge

Ever use a 10 gauge?
    Is the 10 Gauge Shotgun Doomed to Obscurity? | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)
    I carried a H&R 10-gauge when I first started turkey hunting in earnest. I liked it, but I don't miss it.

Yes. When I first moved to Missouri and fell in love with turkey hunting. Little brother still has it today, though he uses a 3" 12ga now. Single barrel. My dad used a double 10 for decades to finish off wounded geese. You may recall how he only had ONE arm. 300 Weatherby was his rifle of choice as well. Wasn't compensating for anything, just felt they were ideal for what/how/when he hunted

Comment

Every time I see one of those old 10ga single shots laying on a gun show table I think of my first shotgun, a H&R Topper 20ga, and I cringe just a little.

I once worked for a guy who turkey hunted with an Ithaca Mag 10. An opportunity presented itself one day during the season and I watched him cleanly fold a tom at around 60 yards. It was impressive to say the least, this was back when 2 3/4” 12’s with heavy game loads were commonly used. I’m guessing the semi auto action and weight of the gun kept recoil under what my 835 dishes out with 3” turkey loads.

Comment

I've seen, picked up, handled and put down a 10 gauge!!! ONE time!
        Can't imagine purchasing the ammo to feed one of the beasts, much less hunt with it! 👀

Fellow came in our gun shop and asked for some 10 gauge 3.5" ammo.
        "Gonna do some goose hunting?" I asked as I reached for the ammo.
        "Nope.", he answered, "Gotta have something that will knock a squirrel out of the top of those pine trees out there at Neches."
        Over $13/box and that was when 3 inch 12 gauge was about $4 or $5/box.

Is the 10 gauge doomed? I suppose in the duck and goose fields along the Texas, Louisiana coast, probably not.
        Again, at today's ammo prices, I can't imagine trying to feed one! LOL!
        Of course, I'm a 16 gauge nut too!

Comment

My son hunts all manner of waterfowl with a 10 ga BPS and an American Arms (Fausti) O/U. Mostly handloads. I have the same OU in 3.5” 12 ga and neither are for the faint of heart even as heavy guns go.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
            My son hunts all manner of waterfowl with a 10 ga BPS and an American Arms (Fausti) O/U. Mostly handloads. I have the same OU in 3.5” 12 ga and neither are for the faint of heart even as heavy guns go.
            Be still my beating heart!
            "not for the faint of heart"!

In my misspent youth, I ran a box of ammo through a Ruger M77 in .458 Win Mag.
            I was pleasantly surprised the recoil was a shove rather than a Muhammad Ali haymaker.

​​​​​​​BTW! Are you aware that you can still purchase unfired 8 gauge hulls for reloading?

Comment

Long time ago, I was able to hunt on a goose lease where the Canajan honkers flew thick, and fast. One of the other parties on the lease, (my Father was the principal lease holder), used a 10 gauge double, to good effect. He offered to loan it to me, several times, but with a fairly new Remington 1100 LH Magnum, I generally refused, politely. One day, for what ever reason, I took him up on his offer, went and bought a box of 10 gauge, and was ready to go the next morning. As I recall, the 10 gauge shells were about $15.00 a box, which would have gone a long way toward buying three boxes of 12 gauge, but, it was one of my "more money than sense days."
              I got in the pit about 30-45 minutes before daylight, and being a weekday, had it all to myself. I could hear the honkers gabbling and cackling, over toward the water, and occasionally hear a swoosh of early wings over the blind. I waited until I heard the first shot, to be sure of legal shooting hours, and when the sun was starting to peek over the field, just at daylight, saw a flight of about eight or ten big Canajans looking very interested in the green stuff just in front of our pit.
              When they started to set down to land, I took a shot at the lead goose, and his landing turned into a crash and roll.
              My landing put me a step and a half back against the wall of the pit! I shot one more goose that morning, with almost identical results, dead goose, bruised me, and as soon as the shooting slacked off, and everyone had quit for the morning, retrieved my geese and headed for town. I returned the 10 gauge and a box of shells, less two, to its owner, and politely refused the loan of the 10 gauge again, this time, for good.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                Ever use a 10 gauge?
                Is the 10 Gauge Shotgun Doomed to Obscurity? | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)
                I carried a H&R 10-gauge when I first started turkey hunting in earnest. I liked it, but I don't miss it.
                I have the Browning BPS 12ga 3"and that is enough for me. I went to range to check out the gun, load and scope, here is what it did, 100yds as fast as I could work the pump, off the shoulder. It has a 2X7 Leupold VX-III. Uses extended rifled choke for Winchester Supreme 3" sabot slugs and has a Turkey Full Browning choke for turkeys. Interesting thing is at 50yds both the slugs and Turkey loads shoot to the same point of aim without changing scope. Don't know if Browning planned that or it is coincidence.
                After shooting the 5 rounds rapid fire I will never do that again. Noticed as gun warmed the vertical string, or maybe that was me. LOL
                Steel receiver has Turkey scene on one side and deer on other side. Click image for larger version  Name:	target 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	498.5 KB ID:	774699 Click image for larger version  Name:	Browning BPS 014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	679.8 KB ID:	774700

Comment

I used a single shot 10 gauge for a few years in my duck blind on the Missouri River. I shot most ducks and geese with my 12 gauge but if a flock of Honkers was reluctant to land and circled for half an hour, I would resort to my uncle's 10 gauge with 3.5" BB or 4 Buck. It was comparable to the effect of a 12 gauge over a 20 gauge... more shot; more range and I could drop geese well beyond 100 yards. The recoil was noticeably more but I think with modern Limbsavers and such it would have been fine.

That was the shotgun I knocked myself out with. I was walking back to the car with my 12 gauge over my left shoulder and the 10 gauge over my right shoulder. Four pheasants jumped at about 75 yards in a tight cluster and the 10 gauge looked like the solution to getting all four in one shot. I whipped it up with my right hand only and the 12 gauge still held over my left shoulder. I aimed with one hand and touched it off. I don't remember anything after that. When I woke up, I discovered the hammer had gone through my right hand and the butt had hit me hard just under my left eye. I was home before my head cleared enough to remembered the pheasants.

It was interesting shooting the 10 gauge but I settled on the notion that I could get just as many geese without it and I seldom needed it for distant geese.

Comment

I swore off the 10 ga. Got tired of getting kicked out from under my hat. Happy Trails

Comment

SHOTGUN RECOIL TABLE (chuckhawks.com)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shotgun recoil table.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	774886

Comment

I used a 2 1/4 ounce 3 1/2 12 gauge turkey load one season rio diamond shot as i recall. Mossberg 835 synthetic stock with a kicks turkey choke. And holy cow. Never again. Patterned like a dream at 40-60 yards. But it hit you so hard there was no follow up shot. I’ve been punched in the face and recovered faster I was young in my mid twenties I look back now and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad