JC Higgins Sears and Roebuck model 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JC Higgins Sears and Roebuck model 60

A few years ago a friend of mine inherited a JC Higgins model 60. After taking it skeet shooting a dozen times and duck hunting twice the shotgun doesn’t like to cycle. Either it fails to eject or it fails to feed. We’ve had multiple people look at it and heard all kinds of things from “the receiver looks like it’s seen 30k rounds and is worn to much” to “you just need to adjust the gas blowback” to “it’s an old gun” out of everything we’ve tried the only thing that seems it would work is adjusting the blowback but the guy who recommended it never elaborated on how to do it. Has anybody had the same issues? He knows it’s not worth much but due to the sentimentality he wants to get it in working shape. Is there anything we should try is should it just become a wall display?

The first thing is to identify the maker. I can't find a crossover for a model 60. Is that the complete number?

Comment

In a Remington 11-48 there was a collar that was part of the gas metering system and to go from high base to low the collar was removed and turned over and put back on. Maybe yours has something like that. Jim

Comment

JC Higgins were quite common in the 70’s when I was a kid . My cousin had one and what I remember about it most was it was solid but finicky on the shells we ran through it. There are still parts available but the way you explain it your not sure what the problem is. Few gunsmiths take on anything out of the norm anymore so looking for a guy that will help you is tough. I feel for your friend because you want these old guns to be operational if possible. I think this one may be a wall hanger.

Comment

A little more digging, most likely made by High Standard. Maybe after 1973. They made a lot of store brand shot guns. With so many made, it's hard to imagine not finding a gunsmith that hasn't worked on one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad