Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    Well, ol' honk the phony, not surprised your cobbled together piece of junk doesn't have the right Browning serial numbers, but mine do, and I will be happy with what I've got. As to your evaluation and pricing, that is also a load of horse monyocky. All of my guns have the standard Browning engraving on them, and they aren't built for show, they are built to shoot. Your Jap barrel is another add-on, that I would not have, as all of mine are genuine Belgian made. Always patting yourself on the back, honkster. Doesn't your arm ever get tired?
    What a dope. I posted photos from both guns, including the cherry I bought new in 1971. As you can see, its non-numbered stock is cracked. So it now wears the trap stock that came on the Magnum Twelve. The fore end photos are from the Light Twelve bought new in Korea. My Magnum has a Miroku barrel because it is a Miroku gun (per its serial number). Guess you didn't know Browning shifted all A5 production to Japan in 1976. The Japanese made A5s are actually better quality, particularly the barrels. Belgian guns did not have choke tubes. Also Miroku used more metal in their barrels. And their fore ends were thicker and tougher (they added the crossbolt to help reduce cracking).
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-15-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

From honk the phony- "As you can see, its non-numbered stock is cracked. So it now wears the trap stock that came on the Magnum Twelve."

Well, honkster, if you knew how to properly install your friction ring set-up, your stock wouldn't have cracked. Apparently, you don't know squat about your own piece of crap shotgun.
      Go away now, I don't have anymore time to deal with phony's for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
        From honk the phony- "As you can see, its non-numbered stock is cracked. So it now wears the trap stock that came on the Magnum Twelve."

Well, honkster, if you knew how to properly install your friction ring set-up, your stock wouldn't have cracked. Apparently, you don't know squat about your own piece of crap shotgun.
        Go away now, I don't have anymore time to deal with phony's for a while.
        A5 stocks commonly crack because the tang screw runs through the pistol grip, the weakest point in any long gun stock, making it even weaker.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-15-2020, 01:22 AM.

Comment

So a good consideration is that it is perfectly acceptable and reasonable that if you have a slug barrel, you can use it for home / self-defense even if you fire shot thru it.

Even if it's rifled it's still a very functional and reasonable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            So a good consideration is that it is perfectly acceptable and reasonable that if you have a slug barrel, you can use it for home / self-defense even if you fire shot thru it.

Even if it's rifled it's still a very functional and reasonable option.
            My suggestion was that he not bother with slug barrels if he also wants a skeet gun. A skeet barrel would certainly shoot slugs and buckshot just fine. I don't see that a 28" clay target barrel would be any great encumbrance for firing one round or maybe two into a home intruder. And it's sometimes not easy to find door crasher barrels for good quality automatic shotguns. For as much as one might need a home defence shotgun (very high probability of never), I don't see the point in buying a separate shotgun or barrel for that purpose. Use the clays gun and make do with it in the unlikely event that someone breaks into the home.

Comment

I currently have a 28" barrel on my 12 gauge, and it is pretty bulky for trying to clear a house. For a place with tight spaces or odd angles having a more compact and more maneuverable barrel is a better option.
              If you're going to hunt with a shotgun, why not have a slug barrel? For some states they make it illegal to hunt deer with buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Phil is an expert in all things shotgun. He can help direct you in the right direction. He is with Outdoor Life which is a sister magazine with F&S. Feel free to e-mail him. try [email protected]
                https://www.bing.com/search?q=phil+b...9c0ea536484401
                Jimbo !!
                Bad contact info for Phil.
                [email protected] would be the correct info.
                He has no ties to Outdoor Life.
                Hope Derek7 is still out there ๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Jimbo !!
                  Bad contact info for Phil.
                  [email protected] would be the correct info.
                  He has no ties to Outdoor Life.
                  Hope Derek7 is still out there ๐Ÿ˜€
                  thanks.......

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

thanks.......
                    Anytime !
                    How are things in your neck of the woods ?

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Anytime !
                      How are things in your neck of the woods ?
                      Just trying to stay away from the virus. Got so stiff over the last several months I started P.T. again. Lost most of the gains I made last year. I highly recommend it for a tune up.

Comment

Got so stiff over the last several months I started P.T. again.
                        Good idea. Is that a Scotch or bourbon?

Comment

I had a Weatherby SA-08 and it was a very reliable shotgun. It had the two power rings, one for light loads and I for heavy loads. Very easy to change. The only reason I don't still have it is because it became trading material on a over and under 20 gage. 5 choke tubes came with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                            I currently have a 28" barrel on my 12 gauge, and it is pretty bulky for trying to clear a house. For a place with tight spaces or odd angles having a more compact and more maneuverable barrel is a better option.
                            If you're going to hunt with a shotgun, why not have a slug barrel? For some states they make it illegal to hunt deer with buckshot.
                            I see. So you have lot of experience "clearing" your house? I guess if I was that concerned about door crashers and difficult spaces, I would buy a handgun. Most people who fix up a shotgun for home defense have no concept how stunning the report is in tight enclosed spaces. I shoot a lot of shotgun in the field and at the range and can't imagine trying to stay focused after firing my 31" barrel twelve gauge inside my living room. But something sawed off to 16"? Ugh! We're talking a veritable wall of lead moving at twice the speed of sound. A whopper of a sonic boom right in front of your face.
                            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-18-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I see. So you have lot of experience "clearing" your house? I guess if I was that concerned about door crashers and difficult spaces, I would buy a handgun. Most people who fix up a shotgun for home defense have no concept how stunning the report is in tight enclosed spaces. I shoot a lot of shotgun in the field and at the range and can't imagine trying to stay focused after firing my 31" barrel twelve gauge inside my living room. But something sawed off to 16"? Ugh! We're talking a veritable wall of lead moving at twice the speed of sound. A whopper of a sonic boom right in front of your face.
                              I've had to do it a time or two for real. I haven't always lived in the best parts of the world having lived in Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw. Other than that I practice so that if I should have to do I know the complete limitations of my home.

I have a handgun as well, and I consider it a good compliment to the shotgun. I have also practiced clearing my home with my .45.

I've got plenty of experience shooting at indoor ranges, yes shooting in such confined spaces is absolutely deafening, but from all accounts it seems to be an after consideration when you have someone in your home that ought not be there. The closest I ever personally got was someone trying to kick in my door when I lived in Flint. I'm glad I didn't have to find out, but in that moment I personally wasn't thinking about ear protection, I was thinking about how fast I could work the pump if he got thru the door, and later I was worried about what would've happened to my neighbors across the hall. My goal was absolutely to make him try to advance thru a wall of lead, and I was going to see how fast my 500 with a 28in barrel could do that.

After that experience I began to think about what would have happened if someone had gotten in the house, and or was waiting for me inside. That place had tight corners as well, and so have most our places afterwards. No need for a sawed off, a standard 18" slug barrel is plenty good and mighty compact. Again couple that with lots of handgun training and drills and I think it's a reasonable setup for home defense.

Comment

I have my grandfather's Winchester Model 1912
                                ( mfg in 1913 by the serial # )
                                in 20 gauge. Originally made with a 25 inch barrel it was "shortened" to 20 inches.
                                With no choke inside 10 yards the pattern is large enough one could be off target by 6 plus inches and still put plenty of pellets where they can inflict distinct damage....
                                Since it is a pump, the sound made by racking a round in the chamber is quite distinct, serves as a "virtual" warning shot to an intruder !
                                As an avid grouse hunter moving a shotgun to shoot in tight quarters is an acquired skill. This would serve me well in a home invader scenario.
                                While the blast would be quite loud, in most cases only one or two rounds will be fired.
                                The above perspectives have been acknowledged by the several local law enforcement officers that are also hunter ed instructors that I know and work with in our classes.
                                Honk: if you get a chance check out the Sept - Oct issue of Shooting Sportsman. There are some articles that you should find educational ๐Ÿ˜‹

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad