Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue

I have a question about my shotgun. It's an older, Winchester Model-12, 12 gauge shotgun. It was subjected to some moisture in my basement & I didn't realize it for quite some time. I recently watched a YouTube video on how to disassemble & reassemble the shotgun. So I took it apart, cleaned & oiled everything & put it back together. With little or no problems, so I thought. Now, for some reason I'm hoping one of you can figure out, when I try to chamber a round, it tries to chamber 2. If I just chamber one shell, it ejects it just fine. It's only when I try to chamber a shell with shells in the magazine that this happens. If there's a shell already chambered, it jambs with the next shell. If it's empty & I try to load it, it tries to chamber 2 shells & it jambs. That's about as detailed as I can get without knowing what to look for. Thank you.

Originally posted by RazzRJB View Post
    I have a question about my shotgun. It's an older, Winchester Model-12, 12 gauge shotgun. It was subjected to some moisture in my basement & I didn't realize it for quite some time. I recently watched a YouTube video on how to disassemble & reassemble the shotgun. So I took it apart, cleaned & oiled everything & put it back together. With little or no problems, so I thought. Now, for some reason I'm hoping one of you can figure out, when I try to chamber a round, it tries to chamber 2. If I just chamber one shell, it ejects it just fine. It's only when I try to chamber a shell with shells in the magazine that this happens. If there's a shell already chambered, it jambs with the next shell. If it's empty & I try to load it, it tries to chamber 2 shells & it jambs. That's about as detailed as I can get without knowing what to look for. Thank you.
    Sounds like the shell stop isn't properly engaging.
    Unless you're comfortable with doing the repairs yourself, I'd contact these folks! They are the only folks besides myself I trust with one of my M12's.

http://www.nulineguns.com/

Comment

Sounds like you put it together wrong.

Comment

Magazine catch is stuck or broken off. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can figure out what happened. How far did you dismantle the gun?

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I took it apart to the extent of a very basic dismantle. Of course, I separated the barrel from the receiver & I removed the spring & follower from the magazine. I pulled the stock off, I removed the trigger assembly, I removed the Breech Bolt & the Ejector. I think the Cartridge Cut-off came off too. Other then that, I cleaned everything, oiled it & put it back together. I've always been very good at taking things apart & putting them back together, so if you can tell me what to look for, I'm pretty confident I can fix it myself. Again, thank you for your reply.

Comment

This is the part you need to look at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	275870.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	741374 This is the "cartridge cutoff".
            If you lay the shotgun, muzzle right, stock left and remove the trigger assembly.
            The cartridge cutoff simply lays in a groove on the left side of the receiver and pivots on the big round pin on the back (visible).
            Be sure that the slot it lays in and the hole it pivots in are clean.
            The small tab (bottom left in photo) is what actually catches the next cartridge so it doesn't come out of the magazine.
            Check the tab that it isn't broken or badly worn. It's pretty hard, I'm not sure it can be bent without breaking.
            The photo is actually the "back" of the cartridge cut off as it lays in it's reciever slot.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you, FirstBubba. That is definitely a part that I removed. I'm going to tackle the problem tomorrow & I'll let you know if I was able to fix it. Thanks again.

Comment

Ok, so here's the strange part of this whole situation I'm in ... Now that I think back about taking my shotgun apart while watching the video, I thought, hmmm, I guess my gun doesn't have that part ... "cartridge cutoff" because I didn't remove that part. Now the last time I used my shotgun was quite some time ago because it's old & it was left to me by my grandfather years ago. It worked fine back when I used it last & I've NEVER taken it apart before. So how that part is just missing is nothing but a complete mystery to me. So, now I guess I have to purchase this part & I've found it at a few different places. I've done my homework & I know that this gun was produced from 1912 to 1963 & mine, according to its serial # was manufactured in 1930. Here's my question ... were there any differences in the "cartridge cutoff" over the years or can I just buy one for a Model 12 & it'll fit my 1930 Model 12? I found one but, before I hit the "pay" button I wanna make sure it'll fit my Shotgun. I'll be watching for your replys. Thanks again for all of your input. I'm gonna get this damn thing working come hell or high water!!

Comment

RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed.
                  If you don't "know" it's supposed to be there, it isn't hard to miss, until it "isn't" there.

Don't know where you are, but I would suggest using Nu-Line guns. They are very good at making sure you get the correct part.
                  I think the parts are pretty much interchangable except for gauge. If your gun is 12 gauge, be certain your replacement part is for a 12 gauge gun.

Again, good luck.

Comment

Thank you FirstBubba. You are very right ... everything that's happened up to where I noticed that the part is gone, really has no bearing on what I do from here. I've found a few of them online & I'm just trying to find one that's original instead of a remanufactured one. My quest continues! I will get it working right again ... I don't & won't give up! I'll eventually let you know how this story ends.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well, I found the part on eBay & the seller told me that it's an original part. Not a remanufactured part. And I got it for a good price. $23.32 including tax & shipping & I should have it in a week or so. So far, so good.

Comment

I've rebuilt (consists of adding missing and worn out parts) several M12's.
                        I understand wanting original parts, but reman parts work just fine.

Comment

Yeah, I understand that. I just wanted to keep it authentic because of its age.

Comment

Originally posted by RazzRJB View Post
                            Yeah, I understand that. I just wanted to keep it authentic because of its age.
                            By all means. I do the same thing.

Comment

Hey FirstBubba,
                              I know it's been a while but, the part finally came in today. My wife has been pissed at me because I was expecting it sooner so my shotgun has been taking up space on my dining room table. Well, I just got finished putting it back together & it works like a charm! I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually, but you helped make it go faster & smoother. Much appreciation!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad