Federal .410 TSS Turkey ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I hear you on that, just thought I'd throw it up to give you something to ponder. Purely practical, has a rail and turkey choke included, probably can pick one up under msrp as well. Not as much fun as a project but would work for a reasonable expense.

You planning on being back in OK in time for asparagus? Just occured to me ours comes up during turkey season.
    I'm certainly hoping so fitch270.
    The same happens here.
    Sadly, I didn't mow my asparagus patch before leaving for S. Texas.
    Now I have to do that before the asparagus comes out.

1) turkey season
    2) asparagus season
    and
    3) crappie spawn

Early April is a busy time for me.

Oh yeah! Let's not forget a 550 mile drive across Texas to go 11 miles deep into Oklahoma! LOL!
    Cripes what a grind!

Comment

Bhr, found one of those Henry lever .410's.
      Guy had it on sale, he was going out of business!
      $999.00 NIB
      Cripes! I understand NIB, but $1k for something to drag through the woods? I don't think so scooter!

Comment

That price Bubba really shocked me ! My local gun shop was running them at $720, which I still thought was a bit stiff. I liked the looks of the gun, I am into levers, but the price took some of the luster off of the idea !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          That price Bubba really shocked me ! My local gun shop was running them at $720, which I still thought was a bit stiff. I liked the looks of the gun, I am into levers, but the price took some of the luster off of the idea !
          No kidding!
          I found a single shot .410 but it was some off brand and they wanted $150. No thanks.
          Another shop had a Mossberg O/U, but they wanted $600. It was a nice looking gun, just not what I'm looking for.
          If I'm going to buy new, I think I'd go with the single shot Savage that fitch270 linked to.
          I really like its looks and MSRP is $204.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

No kidding!
            I found a single shot .410 but it was some off brand and they wanted $150. No thanks.
            Another shop had a Mossberg O/U, but they wanted $600. It was a nice looking gun, just not what I'm looking for.
            If I'm going to buy new, I think I'd go with the single shot Savage that fitch270 linked to.
            How's shoulder?

perhaps if still bad why not use a hand gun for turkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

How's shoulder?

perhaps if still bad why not use a hand gun for turkeys
              Shoulder is great! Thanks for asking.

Handgun? I have.
              A S&W M48 8 3/8" w/Tasco LE 4× scope and a Ruger Single Six 9" w/.22 Mag iron sights.

Spring Turkey in OK is shotgun or archery only.

Comment

Shoulder is great! Thanks for asking.

Handgun? I have.
                A S&W M48 8 3/8" w/Tasco LE 4× scope and a Ruger Single Six 9" w/.22 Mag iron sights.

Spring Turkey in OK is shotgun or archery only.
                For some reason I thought you were in Texas. Glad shoulder is good

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

For some reason I thought you were in Texas. Glad shoulder is good
                  I am in Texas....right now! LOL!
                  Our youngest lives in S. Texas. We live in SW Oklahoma. The wife and me are "snow birds". We come down here for the winter then head back north for the summer.
                  Not that OK is THAT much cooler!

Comment

No kidding!
                    One of the guys at the local gun shop bought a 410 single shot. He shot the new TSS loads in it. He showed me a couple of targets he shot and I wasn't impressed with them. My 20 guage shoots a much more impressive pattern at 40 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

One of the guys at the local gun shop bought a 410 single shot. He shot the new TSS loads in it. He showed me a couple of targets he shot and I wasn't impressed with them. My 20 guage shoots a much more impressive pattern at 40 yards.
                      This is all about my having shoulder surgery back in August.
                      I'm unable to shoot "anything" with any appreciable recoil without shooting left handed. I can, but I'd just as soon not.
                      I can withstand the recoil of a .410.
                      I have every intention of thoroughly testing the theory before use.

Comment

This is all about my having shoulder surgery back in August.
                        I'm unable to shoot "anything" with any appreciable recoil without shooting left handed. I can, but I'd just as soon not.
                        I can withstand the recoil of a .410.
                        I have every intention of thoroughly testing the theory before use.
                        I understand the man who owns our hunting ground had a heart attack several years ago and the Dr. advised him to trade his 30-06 for a .223. He killed a deer with the .223 that year.

Comment

I just saw an ad for a .410 shotgun advertised for turkeys.

Comment

Why would you use steel shot for turkeys ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Why would you use steel shot for turkeys ?
                              TSS isn't "steel", it's "tungsten(?)", which I understand, is even denser and heavier than lead.
                              I have no proof jimbo, as I haven't tried it, but some profess that the 3" .410 and #9 TSS (ahem!) WILL take turkeys to 40 yards.
                              Even me, "Mr. #8 for Turkeys", I'm from Missouri! "Show me!" LOL!
                              Even a turkey at 25 yards with a .410 is a mighty goal!
                              The 3" .410 TSS #9's are $25 for a box of FIVE!

Comment

TSS shot is made from powdered tungsten and iron, it's heavier than lead and non toxic. Number 9 TSS shot will out penetrate lead 5's, probably because of a combination of weight and smaller diameter.

This link is from Outdoor Life, one of many that pop up from a Google search on Federal TSS .410. It's safe Jim.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/review-f...0-turkey-load/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
                                  by fitch270
                                  Different gun, yours was the O/U, this one is a single shot. Different outsourcing....
                                  Today, 08:08 PM
                                • Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
                                  by Ghosty
                                  i want your advice on which shotgun i should buy which brand is better i was told stevens is made in china and ATI is made in the us in south carolina...
                                  Today, 08:30 AM
                                • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by fitch270
                                  Dewman: Sorry if this hit a little close to home, didn't mean to open any wounds.

OHH: Our appointment is with a very good lawyer for this...
                                  Today, 08:06 PM
                                • Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by fitch270
                                  Sorry in advance for this, but I'm blaming the morbid sob's on here for the inspiration.

My wife and I scheduled an estate planning appointment...
                                  Today, 07:14 PM
                                • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  One of my many former vocations was a law clerk, so yes I have taken care of my and my daughter's wills and power of attorney. You need to call a lawyer...
                                  Today, 07:49 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X