Federal .410 TSS Turkey ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal .410 TSS Turkey ammo

Just heard from a blogger on another site that swears these Federal (3") .410 TSS loads have proven to kill turkeys out to 50/55 yards?
    I've never heard of such!
    I do not have a .410 and I'm not asking anybody to spend (+/-) $25 on five .410 shells!
    ...but I will ask: "Anybody have any experience with this set up?"

The blogger said that 40 yards on turkeys is "easy-peasy"!?

For a 13/16ths ounce load to be effective, the pattern can't open much beyond the bore diameter of .41".
    Hitting a target (i.e. turkey's neck/head) at that range (40 yards) with no more than a front bead sight may be sketchy at best.
    Scope?
    Red dot?

With my right shoulder surgery, this could be the answer to all my turkey hunting "prayers".
    A "red dot" on a .410 that will take turkeys out to 40+(?) yards with very little recoil? What's NOT to like?
    Five bucks a shell MAY just be worth it!

...IF it will work!

Comment

https://youtu.be/SaQcN-Dl920

Comment

No experience with the stuff, but if it meets half the hype it’s probably worth it. My only thought is that for $5 per shell you’re going to want to be sure you have the right combination when you go to pattern it. I’d be looking at guns/chokes specifically designed for the stuff.

In your position FB I’d strongly consider it, not for just for this year but because it likely will keep you in the game longer.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          No experience with the stuff, but if it meets half the hype it’s probably worth it. My only thought is that for $5 per shell you’re going to want to be sure you have the right combination when you go to pattern it. I’d be looking at guns/chokes specifically designed for the stuff.

In your position FB I’d strongly consider it, not for just for this year but because it likely will keep you in the game longer.
          fitch270, there should be enough cheap, pawn shop .410's to find a pretty nice old Win or Steven's for a few $'s.

Comment

Got a Mossberg bolt action with screw on chokes, only problem is NY is #8 shot minimum and the TSS loads are #9’s in .410. Might be awhile before the law catches up with the technology. If ever.

Comment

Got a Mossberg bolt action with screw on chokes, only problem is NY is #8 shot minimum and the TSS loads are #9’s in .410. Might be awhile before the law catches up with the technology. If ever.
              Watch the first video fitch. I think they tested #7's (7.5?) and #9's.
              Also, WHAT they say and WHAT is out there is 2 different pigs. LOL!

OOPS! I didn't post the "test" video!

Comment

If you're thinking an optic of some sort the pawn shop route will likely mean D&T. Most likely a single shot. I don't see many .410 pumps around. Maybe not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind.

Red dot on an old SxS might just be sacrilege.

Comment

Bubba, Henry makes a lever action 410 in either 20” or 24” barrel, a sweet looking setup !

Comment

I wouldn't/couldn't do that to a nice old classic.
                    Now a nice old Rem, Win or Steven's single shot?
                    I know there's one out there somewhere! LOL!
                    I just gotta find it.

Comment

How about something like this? Not old, but not expensive either.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=19253

Comment

How about something like this? Not old, but not expensive either.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=19253
                        Awesome!
                        But something like that will have to wait until I get back to OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          Bubba, Henry makes a lever action 410 in either 20” or 24” barrel, a sweet looking setup !
                          Probably so but a lever .410 just really doesn't "trip my trigger" nor am I a Henry fan.

Comment

I'm thinking this is something I might like to try to assemble on my own ... maybe!
                            I think I can find a solid old .410 for less than a C note. Maybe a scope or aimpoint too.

Comment

I hear you on that, just thought I'd throw it up to give you something to ponder. Purely practical, has a rail and turkey choke included, probably can pick one up under msrp as well. Not as much fun as a project but would work for a reasonable expense.

You planning on being back in OK in time for asparagus? Just occured to me ours comes up during turkey season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad