Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patterning new shotgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    [QUOTE=PigHunter;n721607]
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

    Yes, it's Rem-choke threaded.

    My other shotgun option is to use Pighuntress' 870 youth model in 20 gauge with 26-inch barrel. But I don't have an extra full choke for it.
    Youth models typically have shorter LOP which I doubt would work for you. Probably would shoot high and/or give you a bloody nose (from thumb hitting it). Use the full size 870 twelve gauge with longer barrel and your turkey choke screwed in. Very popular setup. I seem to recall you are a big fella. You can handle carrying that twelve gauge with 28" barrel. No need for extended magazine but leave it on if it's trouble to remove. Might want to consider picking up synthetic stock set for it. Tons of those are always up on E-bay very cheap. That would lighten the load considerably. Looks to be stained white wood on your model. That stuff doesn't wear very well. Years ago I went with synthetic on my old 870 magnum Wingmaster. Not so much to lighten the load (which is not desirable shooting 3" heavy goose loads), but because I had two wood stocks break down.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      [QUOTE=Ontario Honker Hunter;n721621]
      Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

      Youth models typically have shorter LOP which I doubt would work for you. Probably would shoot high and/or give you a bloody nose (from thumb hitting it). Use the longer twelve gauge barrel with your turkey choke screwed in. Very popular setup. I seem to recall you are a big fella. You can handle carrying that twelve gauge with 28" barrel. Might want to consider picking up synthetic stock set for it. Tons of those are always up on E-bay very cheap. That would lighten the load considerably. Years ago I went with synthetic on my old 870 magnum Wingmaster. Not so much to lighten the load (which is not desirable shooting 3" heavy goose loads), but because I had two wood stocks break down.
      Yea, that youth model does have a short LOP which might work in thick clothing but would be too much for light.

      I'm really too big and need to lose some weight, though I can definitely adsorb the recoil of a 12 gauge. It's the original Birch stock on my 870. If you recall, the finish on the Express versions from that period were pretty poor. I got it wet hunting ducks in the rain back in the early 90's and the forearm cracked when it dried. A heavy dose of linseed oil helped expand the wood to close the gap but that part really needed to be replaced. I've considered buying a laminate stock and forearm from Boyd's. I really don't like synthetics because of the noise they make when brush scratches across them. Weight is really not an issue.

      Comment


      • #48
        Well I will never know if the Stevens 555 O/U shotgun will kill a turkey. My buddy and I were at the range today for patterning and at this time the Stevens 555 sits of the gunshop shelf. I have a new Remington 870 youth model with Longbeard choke. I put a Simms Limb Saver slip on pad on it and it is the correct length. Next patterning day next week. I am too old to have a firearm that doesn't do what I want it to do. Tried 5 different turkey loads and the best it would do was 2 shot in the head and neck at 40 yards, and neither one of those was a killing shot.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
          Well I will never know if the Stevens 555 O/U shotgun will kill a turkey. My buddy and I were at the range today for patterning and at this time the Stevens 555 sits of the gunshop shelf. I have a new Remington 870 youth model with Longbeard choke. I put a Simms Limb Saver slip on pad on it and it is the correct length. Next patterning day next week. I am too old to have a firearm that doesn't do what I want it to do. Tried 5 different turkey loads and the best it would do was 2 shot in the head and neck at 40 yards, and neither one of those was a killing shot.
          Guess it's a bit too late to ask which kinds of ammo you tried in the OU! LOL!

          Comment


          • #50
            [QUOTE=FirstBubba;n721720]

            Guess it's a bit too late to ask which kinds of ammo you tried in the OU! LOL!
            • Sarge01
              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

              Share
              #1
              01-06-2020, 06:47 PM
              I have 3 different loads for my 20 gauge Stevens 555 shotgun. I have Remington no 5 Turkey loads, Heavy shot no. 6 and Heave shot Magnum blend of 5,6,7
              • Join Date: Jan 2010
              • Posts: 4137
            At least the same three he started the thread out with!

            Comment


            • #51
              Selling it on consignment Sarge or did you trade it in?
              Bummer, you seemed to be excited over that purchase.

              Comment


              • #52
                [QUOTE=fitch270;n721725]
                Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                Guess it's a bit too late to ask which kinds of ammo you tried in the OU! LOL!
                • Sarge01
                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

                  Share
                  #1
                  01-06-2020, 06:47 PM
                  I have 3 different loads for my 20 gauge Stevens 555 shotgun. I have Remington no 5 Turkey loads, Heavy shot no. 6 and Heave shot Magnum blend of 5,6,7
                  • Join Date: Jan 2010
                  • Posts: 4137
                At least the same three he started the thread out with!
                No standard 2.75" 1oz load of #6s, #7.5s or 8s.
                Sad.
                One of those might have worked.

                Comment


                • #53
                  [QUOTE=PigHunter;n721638]
                  Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                  Yea, that youth model does have a short LOP which might work in thick clothing but would be too much for light.

                  I'm really too big and need to lose some weight, though I can definitely adsorb the recoil of a 12 gauge. It's the original Birch stock on my 870. If you recall, the finish on the Express versions from that period were pretty poor. I got it wet hunting ducks in the rain back in the early 90's and the forearm cracked when it dried. A heavy dose of linseed oil helped expand the wood to close the gap but that part really needed to be replaced. I've considered buying a laminate stock and forearm from Boyd's. I really don't like synthetics because of the noise they make when brush scratches across them. Weight is really not an issue.
                  Yeah, get rid of that birch crap. I hunt some pretty thick stuff with my 870 and Browning A-5 both dressed in black synthetic and I don't notice any noise at all. Is this something you have actually experienced ... or just read about? If you think the hollow butt stock would somehow be noisy, fill it with window/door spray foam sealant. That way the gun will for sure float if it falls out of the kayak. But use some clear silicone to seal up the recoil pad when you put it back on. It will keep the foam from getting waterlogged in the event of a dunk. Boyds makes some nice stuff but not real cheap. And laminate will add to the weight quite a bit. I think you will find that with hollow synthetic and 28" barrel your 870 will balance very nicely, especially when carrying it with one hand in the bush (which I do quite often when pushing brush out of the way with the other hand). I have Remington synthetic stock/fore end on my 870. It is excellent fit and that gun points perfectly with it. Beat me up with heavy goose loads though. But any pump would. It's why I went to auto. The A-5 wears an aftermarket Champion stock set. That one took a LOT of extra work before it fit the gun properly. Lots of 870 black stock sets are up on E-bay all the time. They are fairly cheap. I think I got mine new in the box for $35.
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-10-2020, 09:04 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                    Well I will never know if the Stevens 555 O/U shotgun will kill a turkey. My buddy and I were at the range today for patterning and at this time the Stevens 555 sits of the gunshop shelf. I have a new Remington 870 youth model with Longbeard choke. I put a Simms Limb Saver slip on pad on it and it is the correct length. Next patterning day next week. I am too old to have a firearm that doesn't do what I want it to do. Tried 5 different turkey loads and the best it would do was 2 shot in the head and neck at 40 yards, and neither one of those was a killing shot.
                    What chokes did you try?

                    Not sure I would have traded that nice O/U for an 870, especially if it is a youth Express model. Seems Express crap is all I'm seeing new on the shelves these days. If yours is Express, you better coat it with axle grease before going afield. Those rust if you look at them wrong. You should have given a turkey choke a go in that O/U to see if it would pattern better. Something doesn't sound right. Most of those Turkish shotguns use Beretta chokes. Not hard to find.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

                      What chokes did you try?

                      Not sure I would have traded that nice O/U for an 870, especially if it is a youth Express model. Seems Express crap is all I'm seeing new on the shelves these days. If yours is Express, you better coat it with axle grease before going afield. Those rust if you look at them wrong. You should have given a turkey choke a go in that O/U to see if it would pattern better. Something doesn't sound right. Most of those Turkish shotguns use Beretta chokes. Not hard to find.
                      The company told me that Benilli choke tubes fit but only in the 12 gage. I have had 870's before and they worked out fine I don't expect any different from this one. My buddy has one just like it and it is death on turkeys. He tried my Magnum Blend today and couldn't believe how well it shot. His Longbeards shot good the Magnum blend of 5,6,7 was a real shooter.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Selling it on consignment Sarge or did you trade it in?
                        Bummer, you seemed to be excited over that purchase.
                        I have no use for pretty guns that don't shoot like I want them to. My buddies couldn't believe it when I sold my Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe 257 Weatherby Magnum several years ago. Where I hunt I had no use for it and I am not a fan of the .25's.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          For the last 3 days I have been testing the Rem 870 at the range. I put a Carlson Longbeard extended choke in it when I bought it. At the range from 20 yards to 40 yards the shot pattern was 18 inches high and 18 inches to the left. I tried 9 different loads both standard and heavy turkey loads. On a whim I put the modified choke tube that came with the gun in. The pattern is dead on the money with any load I put in it. I looked at the Longbeard choke before I took it back to the gunshop, there is a raised place on the inside of the choke. Carlson told the dealer to send it back and they would replace it. Ouality control people must have been on vacation when the choke was made. The modified shoots a very nice pattern at 40 yards with no holes in the pattern.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I have an older Carlson turkey choke on my 26” 870 Super Mag and it patterns like a rifle out to 30 yards and throws a tight pattern out to 50 yards even with Remington Express #5s. Bang flops each time it fires. Happy Trails

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                              I have an older Carlson turkey choke on my 26” 870 Super Mag and it patterns like a rifle out to 30 yards and throws a tight pattern out to 50 yards even with Remington Express #5s. Bang flops each time it fires. Happy Trails
                              Thanks for the recommendation. I may be in the market for a turkey choke since it looks like I'll be hunting with the Fitch clan in NY soon. I had no idea the greater Seattle area had turkey hunting. Wait ... I do remember seeing lots of them at San Juan National Park when I was a ranger there shortly after we were married. Boy, that brings back some pleasant memories. Our first "home" together was a small camper trailer the Park Service let us use at English Camp till we could find a rental. It was there for archaeologists to use during the summer months. I remember us waking up to the sweet sound of gobblers in the morning. Cathy took our daughter back to the park ten years ago, a few months before the fatal car accident (I was wasting my time working at Voyageurs NP). The turkeys were still everywhere.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to SHOT Show in decline?
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Not being a gun user per se, but definitely a strong supporter of gun rights and thus also of the 2A, I would have to say the different gun groups and...
                                Today, 02:19 PM
                              • SHOT Show in decline?
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see from Phil's blog that Caeasar Guerini, Perazzi, Blaser, and Henry have all bailed on SHOT Show. Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps all the goofy tacticool...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by Danbo
                                Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
                                Today, 12:29 PM
                              • China Virus
                                by jhjimbo
                                Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
                                Yesterday, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to China Virus
                                by PigHunter
                                But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
                                https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
                                Today, 11:30 AM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X