Eastern Arms Co. Double barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Arms Co. Double barrel

I've just received my Grandfathers double barrel 12ga shotgun and was looking on finding more information out on it. Now it has a pat date of April 20th 1915, but I was trying to find out when it was manufactured. Maybe to find out to see if it was really my great Grandfathers gun to start out and was handed down to my Grandfather. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by qball8100; 12-06-2019, 07:44 PM.

Interesting qball.
    Nice looking older gun. The barrels don't appear to be Damascus twist, but I'd still have a qualified gun smith look it over real good before using it.
    It's a "box lock".
    The "Eastern Arms" brand name isn't common. Sounds like a "store gun".
    In the era your gun was made, it was common for gun manufacturers to produce "affordable" firearms of dubious quality.
    Many of those guns were marked with the sellers name. i.e. Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc.
    I think that's what you have.
    Again, find a good gunsmith and have them evaluate it before use.

P.S. - come back and let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-06-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

If it is not listed in the Blue Book of Gun Values it is probably only valuable as a sentimental shotgun. A lot of stores had firearms made for them like Western Auto, etc. and they usually are not of any great monetary value. Clean it up and hang it on the wall and then give it to your kid as a heirloom. I would not shoot it unless a competent person checks it out. Sometimes the old guns take off size shells that are not made anymore. Good Luck.

Comment

The brand was sold by Sears for many years early 20th century and made for them by Stevens. The patent date doesn't mean much ... unless it compares exactly to a Fox patent date. Fox clone shotguns can be somewhat collectable. If it has a serial number I suggest contacting Savage to see if they have the records from Stevens Co. (which they acquired). If they do then they can put a date of manufacturer and possibly even who the retailer was who ordered the gun. You may yet be able to establish a family connection beyond your grandfather. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to SHOT Show in decline?
          by bowhunter75richard
          Not being a gun user per se, but definitely a strong supporter of gun rights and thus also of the 2A, I would have to say the different gun groups and...
          Today, 02:19 PM
        • SHOT Show in decline?
          by Ontario Honker Hunter
          I see from Phil's blog that Caeasar Guerini, Perazzi, Blaser, and Henry have all bailed on SHOT Show. Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps all the goofy tacticool...
          Today, 01:35 PM
        • Reply to China Virus
          by Danbo
          Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
          Today, 12:29 PM
        • China Virus
          by jhjimbo
          Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
          Yesterday, 06:15 AM
        • Reply to China Virus
          by PigHunter
          But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
          https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
          Today, 11:30 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X