Rabbit gun....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit gun....

The SKB still sits at the LGS, but the beater 20 ga Auto 5 is laying on my couch.
    1959 model. 28" modified.
    Be an OK pheasant gun I reckon. Got it for bunnies. Don't use a dog, so sometimes shots out a ways.
    Think I have an old box of Expert 6's someplace.

Saw a whopper bunny smacked on the road by the house.
    Looked more like a 4H escapee.

Get some snow and away we go.

Pheasant put/take was today and tomorrow (IIRC).
    If I shoot a doe tomorrow might spend Sat/Sun trying for a pheasant.

Have wild ones on two places I deer hunt, but they are off limits.
    Wild quail at those two plus another.
    Again, off limits.

FN buttplate has a piece missing in the middle, like a delam. I should get some black epoxy die and fill that in.
    Has pitting on outside of bbl and bluing worn on receiver.
    Looks like it was carried on a lot of grouse hunts.

My Weatherby was made by SKB.. No rabbit gun though with 30" tubes. Takes a full size man to swing those barrels around. Grade III with some nice embellishments and beautiful wood. I shoot some skeet with it.

Comment

I like SKB, some of their OU with side bolt not my thing. But priced right i could snag one for clays. Had a Citori magnum 30" yrs ago. Hit high so away it went.

Am at Caseys getting ready to snag some chow, am close to my deer woods. Light rain. Might be surf web and sleep in jeep morning
      Last edited by CD2; 11-29-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Just yesterday I did some periodic cleaning of the Remington 870 youth, 20 gauge, that PigHuntress keeps leaning against the wall in the bathroom. Most of the time it's loaded with buckshot for quick home defense if the alarm goes off while she's getting ready for the day.

Neither of us have used it for hunting but I'm thinking of taking it for a round of popping squirrels. There's not enough rabbits around here to make it interesting.

Comment

Shotgunning squirrels is safe, but against my religion.
          My spot loaded w tree rats (all I saw this morning). But w houses around it's shoot em on the ground (and if you want more shot opp, from a treestand).

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            Shotgunning squirrels is safe, but against my religion.
            My spot loaded w tree rats (all I saw this morning). But w houses around it's shoot em on the ground (and if you want more shot opp, from a treestand).
            Around the home I use an air rifle on squirrels but am careful never to shoot towards another house. I've killed a couple on the ground with a suppressed .22 that's actually quieter than the air rifle. But of course the .22 has longer range and requires a lot of extra precautions.

Comment

I used to shoot em in a small group of houses ($$$). Out of town and legal, but to be polite and safe, ran CB's in my Anschtuz w 12X Leupold.
              They chewed through one guys garage door and did other damage.
              So got the call to smoke em.

29 gr bullet at 700 FPS.

Lung shoot em and watch em run down the branch and fall off dead.
              That house had nothing past the back tree line for a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                I used to shoot em in a small group of houses ($$$). Out of town and legal, but to be polite and safe, ran CB's in my Anschtuz w 12X Leupold.
                They chewed through one guys garage door and did other damage.
                So got the call to smoke em.

29 gr bullet at 700 FPS.

Lung shoot em and watch em run down the branch and fall off dead.
                That house had nothing past the back tree line for a mile.
                Do you remember the CCI "CB" Caps?
                I used them in an old Marlin 39A I had. The hammer falling actually made more noise than the round going off!
                CCI still sells "CB" ammo, but it isn't the really quiet CB Cap.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  My Weatherby was made by SKB.. No rabbit gun though with 30" tubes. Takes a full size man to swing those barrels around. Grade III with some nice embellishments and beautiful wood. I shoot some skeet with it.
                  My Stevens 555 20 gage has 5 different choke tubes. The little gun really swings smooth and quick. Cant wait till I can get to the rabbit brush with it.

Comment

CCI makes CB in long and short version. 29 gr bullet at just over 700 FPS.. i dunno if they ever did BB caps. Used to buy Remington CB by the brick for 15. What my bud and I used to teach our kids to shoot

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad