Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you speaking from experience: what is the best shotgun for going after both quail and dove? (Coming from a guy who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you speaking from experience: what is the best shotgun for going after both quail and dove? (Coming from a guy who

For those of you speaking from experience: what is the best shotgun for going after both quail and dove? (Coming from a guy who shoots a .12 ga Mossberg 500 pump).

I grew with a Mossberg 500, still have it. I bought a Yidiz O/U 2 years ago and love it. It's light weight and fast handling. It has all the perks of a high end O/U, and costs about half the price at $400.

Comment

Hi this is peter i signed up.
      I would use a 20 gauge, thats what uncle carl swears by.

Comment

Foregot to say my O/U is a 20 ga.

Comment

I swear by the mossberg 500 great all around gun.

Comment

If your looking at a new shotgun, anything in a 20 Ga 2 3/4" would be fine. As for the Mossberg, that will be perfect, as it's not the shotgun or the gauge, but the shot size and the load. I use a Winchester 1887 Lever Action 12 GA 2 3/4", and use slugs for deer, #4 shot for turkeys, #6 shot for rabbits, #7 1/2 or 8 shot for small birds (pheasant, quail) and sporting clays.

I like a 1 to 1 1/8 oz shotload in my 12, 7/8 oz in the 20. Also save the spent shells, you can reload them probably 10 to 15 times, and save money every time. Best reloadable hulls are Remington black cases, Winchesters are ok but usually only good for 3 or 4 tops. And the MEC JR Mk 5 reloader is the cheapest way to start reloading the shells without loading or feeding problems from what I have experienced.

Comment

My favorite for Quail and Dove is a Beretta Silver Pidgeon 28 guage O/U. Keep in mind 20 ga ammo is much cheaper (I reload with a MEC 9000G). Go with the 20 if ammo cost is a factor. Mossberg makes a nice O/U that is much less $ than the Beretta.

Comment

i youse the 12 ga with 7 1/2

Comment

Remington 870 is a good all around shotgun

Comment

an H&R excel auto 5 is a nice gun handles all kinds of loads very well with a 3" chamber it can be used for allmost anything, its semi auto action is very fast i can pull off 6 rounds in less than three seconds with it, im going to buy a stoeger p 350 wich looks pretty nice

Comment

You, sir, have already shown amazing taste in having a 500 Mossberg. It was my father's old AT.

I have gathered several barrels for it to accommodate chokes. The 500, like many popular brands, have a boatload of accessories for it.

Comment

Im running a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge down in Arizona. We have good dove seasons and pretty good quail populations as well. For dove season i throw in the modified extended choke i purchased online and for quail i go ahead and bump it up to the full choke, as most of my hunting is done with no dogs, so the quail will be flying away. If you can keep the Mossberg i would see about different choke tubes if you dont want to go out and buy another gun.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                            by 99explorer
                            Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                            Today, 03:02 PM
                          • Rest Easy
                            by jhjimbo
                            Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                            Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                          • Reply to Rest Easy
                            by jhjimbo
                            They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                            Today, 02:39 PM
                          • Reply to Rest Easy
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                            Today, 01:18 PM
                          • Reply to Rest Easy
                            by crm3006
                            "I was chastised by 99explorer"

#1 Bubba, I was bitten by a mosquito a couple of days ago that bothered me a whole lot more than...
                            Today, 01:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X