Sunken “Swamped” Rib on SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunken “Swamped” Rib on SxS

I recently picked up a Yildiz Elegant A5, a SxS 20ga. I like it a lot, it feels good in my hands, especially if I’m going to carry it for a few miles behind my dog while after woodcock or quail. But I took it to the range today, and I don’t shoot it great. For comparison, I usually shoot 23/25 on the skeet range with my pump. With this SxS, I shot 7/25. The sight picture is completely different than anything I’ve ever shot, especially due to the rib being practically invisible while shouldered. What’s the consensus for a fix? Just practice with it more and hope that eventually I figure out how to shoot it? Or should I save my pennies and take it to someone who can change the stock dimensions for me?

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    I recently picked up a Yildiz Elegant A5, a SxS 20ga. I like it a lot, it feels good in my hands, especially if I’m going to carry it for a few miles behind my dog while after woodcock or quail. But I took it to the range today, and I don’t shoot it great. For comparison, I usually shoot 23/25 on the skeet range with my pump. With this SxS, I shot 7/25. The sight picture is completely different than anything I’ve ever shot, especially due to the rib being practically invisible while shouldered. What’s the consensus for a fix? Just practice with it more and hope that eventually I figure out how to shoot it? Or should I save my pennies and take it to someone who can change the stock dimensions for me?
    I can relate to that situation on a first hand basis. As a youngster and hunting with my father, I was shooting a 410, and missing a bird or a clay, it was a rare instance. After resuming hunting when my military was completed I was shooting a side by side and my hitting a bird became a real rarity. I just could not figure out the pointing factor. Finally had to go back to single barreled shotgun in order to hit anything.

Comment

Get some newspaper, set it up at 20 yds, shoulder and fire the gun till you get an idea of where it's hitting. My experience with people who can't hit with sxs were they were always hitting low. Then a little mole skin fixed the problem. If you're on vertically then shoot some clays to see if your slowing your swing with the double. Also common with many. Very very small chance you're ahead of them but it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Get some newspaper, set it up at 20 yds, shoulder and fire the gun till you get an idea of where it's hitting. My experience with people who can't hit with sxs were they were always hitting low. Then a little mole skin fixed the problem. If you're on vertically then shoot some clays to see if your slowing your swing with the double. Also common with many. Very very small chance you're ahead of them but it's possible.
        One of the older guys at the skeet club yesterday was saying it looked like I was in front of the targets, presumably because this gun is much more “whippy” than my others. All I know is I missed a lot! I’ll have to get out this week and pattern

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

One of the older guys at the skeet club yesterday was saying it looked like I was in front of the targets, presumably because this gun is much more “whippy” than my others. All I know is I missed a lot! I’ll have to get out this week and pattern
          Possible if the gun you're used to weighs 2 or more pounds over your doubles weight and being a pump it will be longer by around 6" because of the action but I didn't think the Yildiz were that light of a gun. I've tried both versions of their o/u that Academy Sports sells (steel or aluminum receivers) and didn't think them all that light. Do the pattern first, I still think checking for vertical is the best first option.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Possible if the gun you're used to weighs 2 or more pounds over your doubles weight and being a pump it will be longer by around 6" because of the action but I didn't think the Yildiz were that light of a gun. I've tried both versions of their o/u that Academy Sports sells (steel or aluminum receivers) and didn't think them all that light. Do the pattern first, I still think checking for vertical is the best first option.
            My kitchen scale has this SxS at just under 5.5lbs. My 12ga Mossberg is around 8 I believe

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad