• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ithaca SKB 20 SXS

LGS has one on consign.
    Is 26" Imp Cyl/Mod.
    Owner dropped price a hundred bucks.
    Pretty tempting, but it'd just be a rabbit gun and I haven't hunted rabbits for years.
    Cute little thing.
    Silver receiver w engraving, think a 200.
    I might have to go over and check it out again.

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    LGS has one on consign.
    Is 26" Imp Cyl/Mod.
    Owner dropped price a hundred bucks.
    Pretty tempting, but it'd just be a rabbit gun and I haven't hunted rabbits for years.
    Cute little thing.
    Silver receiver w engraving, think a 200.
    I might have to go over and check it out again.
    Sounds like a doll. What chokes? Might be fun to shoot skeet or clays. If fixed choke maybe consider having it machined for tubes. That would be about $300 bucks ($150 per barrel + choke tubes). If the gun is in nice shape, choking it could add quite a bit to resale value (though probably not enough to pay for the modification). Should be doable as SKB threw a lot of metal into their guns.

I refinished my goose hunting pal's SKB Ithaca O/U last year and shot it a few times at trap. Very nice gun. Although it had been used quite a bit, it was still extremely tight. Something of a pain to open and close twenty-five times shooting trap.

Comment

Didn't not put in for pheasant draws.
      Still thinkin about it.

Would not add chokes.

SKB overunder, looked at a couple of them, model 500/600.

Priced low enough. Opened the action and saw that bar pop out, plus wide ears............no friggin way. Found them ugly as sin.

The little SxS is way nicer.

Comment

Didn't not put in for pheasant draws.
        Still thinkin about it.

Would not add chokes.

SKB overunder, looked at a couple of them, model 500/600.

Priced low enough. Opened the action and saw that bar pop out, plus wide ears............no friggin way. Found them ugly as sin.

The little SxS is way nicer.
        Well those SKB Ithaca O/Us aren't as pretty as some but I wouldn't call them ugly either. Wood was plain but checkering was decent. I've always felt the design of Browning Synergy was a bit too space age for my taste. Those are ugly. For ugly nothing tops Bakail. Where do they find walnut trees with wood like that? And the checkering! Ugh! Hammer and chisel? But they are indestructible.

Comment

The 500/600 receiver is ugly, esp from behind. Forend/stock OK.
          I think the Citori Lightning could use some contour to the forend instead of being so plain in shape. Like the overall lines of the Lightning though.
          Hunting models look good, a bit blocky but that has become as classic IMHO.
          The new Cynergy...........no thanks.

Baikal. Rough. Had one, got because customer changed mind after ordering.
          Stock dims were horrid. I had to redo the comb. Eventually got it close to reg Rem field stock dim. It still needed bent down to be right, but was usable. In new config..........was not.
          Yanked the auto safety too.

The angled forend tip does nothing to help w the lines. Mine had nickle receiver, was a Spartan (Rem rebrand). 26" w choketubes. Did well on doves after the mod to stock. Problem was 26".
          If it was a 28" I'd have kept it and bent the stock.

I also yanked the orig pad and put one on from a Remington. The gun looked and felt way better than orig. So yeah, sold it for what I had in it. Fair bit of labor donated.

Shop guys laughed.
          They laughed when I redid a couple of brand new recurves I ordered from them.
          But they all agreed, I make stuff way better. They don't question me when I say something needs changed.

Comment

I do very well with reg Rem stock dims. So a 28" 1100 in 12 or 20 is a fine dove slayer for me.
            Sold my beater 26". Had synth stock of new recoil pad. Soft shooter but spongy. Am not used to that feel. Too light due to synth stock too.

Need to find a 28" mod fixed choke bbl and just slap that on the Trap model.
            Mod w steel shot is doable. Not gonna shove steel through the old 30" trap bbl (step rib).

And no, I would not run steel through the SKB. Be just a rabbit or grouse gun.

Comment

I do very well with reg Rem stock dims. So a 28" 1100 in 12 or 20 is a fine dove slayer for me.
              Sold my beater 26". Had synth stock of new recoil pad. Soft shooter but spongy. Am not used to that feel. Too light due to synth stock too.

Need to find a 28" mod fixed choke bbl and just slap that on the Trap model.
              Mod w steel shot is doable. Not gonna shove steel through the old 30" trap bbl (step rib).

And no, I would not run steel through the SKB. Be just a rabbit or grouse gun.
              CD2: if this is a SKB 200 it is pretty light ( under 6 lbs ) and recoil will be "distinct" with normal target & field loads.
              It could make a very good grouse gun in the right hands......
              ​​​​Lead shot mod is equivalent steel full, these must be some long range doves you are shooting at ?

Comment

When I dove hunt it's usually on F&W area sunflower fields. Mowed to 40 yards.
                With lead I'd shoot them over the unmowed.
                Steel really shortens range. I like em a bit closer.
                Ran Imp Cyl w steel 6 and 7's and it did OK...........but I'd like to whap em a bit harder.
                I reckon 35 yards is about it w steel.
                Like my birds on the deck dead.

So try to get them even closer.

Comment

I let a ton of birds go, just a little farther than I like.
                  Figure they might drift closer for other guys.

Unfortunately, last two years we've seen a lot of idiots shooting 60 yards, flaring birds off so nobody gets a shot.

Against my better judgement, I put in for the draw. Even though I sold my beater 1100.
                  Can just slap a bbl on my other 1100 and go. Pick one up at gunshow.
                  Might hit a little gunshop and tell owner to snag me one used. Nice people.

Could be one on the bbl rack waiting for me. Sounds like a good Saturday plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Sounds like a doll. What chokes? Might be fun to shoot skeet or clays. If fixed choke maybe consider having it machined for tubes. That would be about $300 bucks ($150 per barrel + choke tubes). If the gun is in nice shape, choking it could add quite a bit to resale value (though probably not enough to pay for the modification). Should be doable as SKB threw a lot of metal into their guns.

I refinished my goose hunting pal's SKB Ithaca O/U last year and shot it a few times at trap. Very nice gun. Although it had been used quite a bit, it was still extremely tight. Something of a pain to open and close twenty-five times shooting trap.
                    Note to Honk: read the 2nd line of his original post.....
                    As well it would not enhance the value to have it machined for choke tubes, even more so if in "nice" shape !
                    Folks I know that have these types of SKB s/s are "usually" passionate grouse hunters. Great gun to carry all day and shoot when gun movement has to be quick. ( i.e. grouse ).πŸ˜‹

Comment

I've run Imp Cyl and Mod w steel. Some days the Imp Cyl did better, others the Mod.
                      For mowed field, take a stand type shooting..........either is fine.

Used to use a full choke when lead allowed.
                      Some taxidermist blew me crap when I lugged my 30" 1100 Magnum w Superhandicap 7.5's.
                      End of the day it was top gun, only guy to limit out too.
                      He just stood there w mouth open.

Coworker a good skeet guy (499 out of 500 in registered, did the 4x4 but dropped one in doubles).
                      Like he said.............."center of the pattern is center of the pattern".

Comment

The SKB would not be a dove gun.
                        Has buttplate, not pad......so figure it'd be used in cooler temps w a decent coat.

Comment

When I dove hunt it's usually on F&W area sunflower fields. Mowed to 40 yards.
                          With lead I'd shoot them over the unmowed.
                          Steel really shortens range. I like em a bit closer.
                          Ran Imp Cyl w steel 6 and 7's and it did OK...........but I'd like to whap em a bit harder.
                          I reckon 35 yards is about it w steel.
                          Like my birds on the deck dead.

So try to get them even closer.
                          The few times I have used steel it sure does seem to hit them harder. As Phil has wrote in blogs & articles it passes through the bird more often than lead shot.
                          # 6 & # 7 steel perform similar to 7 1/2 lead, even more so when going at higher velocities. ( 1325 or faster ).
                          I found a shell that Federal makes in 20 gauge, 7/8 oz of # 7 shot at 1210 fps.
                          Shooting my 1187 with skeet tube in, the results were dramatic in putting birds down hard.
                          Still it is always about shot selection and putting the load in the right place 😏

Comment

The SKB would not be a dove gun.
                            Has buttplate, not pad......so figure it'd be used in cooler temps w a decent coat.
                            I put a slip on recoil pad, helped a lot. It helped to push the weight of the muzzle ( what little there is ) out farther too. Then had a custom stock made for it with a recoil pad on it, we were very deadly in the grouse woods with it !!

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Note to Honk: read the 2nd line of his original post.....
                              As well it would not enhance the value to have it machined for choke tubes, even more so if in "nice" shape !
                              Folks I know that have these types of SKB s/s are "usually" passionate grouse hunters. Great gun to carry all day and shoot when gun movement has to be quick. ( i.e. grouse ).πŸ˜‹
                              Plane Jane SKB O/Us are not a real big collector item. I see them all the time for six or seven hundred dollars in good shape. They are a good solid gun for the field ... but not much good if only fixed modified and full. That might be a somewhat useful combination for trap but I would prefer IC and full for doubles. No good at all for waterfowl (unless financially well-endowed enough to shoot bismuth) and only semi-useful for pheasants. My choice for the latter would be modified and IC so I could switch to the latter in thick stuff. I wouldn't shoot waterfowl with anything with twin tubes because a third shot is too often required to clean up birds hit with the first two. Full and modified are definitely NOT the chokes I would choose for ruff grouse. Maybe skeet and cylinder. Fixed/full combo would not be much good for skeet or clays (not our range anyway). I seriously doubt an SKB choked by Brileys would lose any value. I would be interested in one because I can do everything with it. Not at all interested in fixed full/modified because I am NOT interested in changing guns all the time, either at the range or in the field. Learn to use one gun well and stick with it.

I do very well with steel shot on uplands. Even #6 shot. I don't know about steel slipping through the feathers any easier than lead. With uplands the shot seems to slip through feathers easily enough no matter what's in the payload. Waterfowl is a different story. I recall Phil saying he prefers larger shot for pheasants simply because there's less holes in the bird = less probability of biting into a steel shot. I do not recall him ever advocating heavily for smaller steel shot. Bigger holes and less shot to dig out of the carcass or smaller holes (less damage) but more of them ... six of one, half a dozen of the other I think.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad