Struggling with skeet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    I shot a couple of Superposed that had Morgan? adj pads on em.
    Think my buds 3200 has some adj pad on it.
    I checked out the Morgan pads. A few guys at the trap club have them. They only allow for adjusting the height of comb but not the cant or LOP. I require serious LOP adjustment. An extra inch beyond factory LOP. Cant seems okay as factory stocks are usually set up for right hand shooter (which I am). Graco can be adjusted for cant, comb height, and LOP. But may require drilling out some wood in the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

First off old George may not shoot well now but as you say he was probably pretty good back in the day. Based on that experience it may be fruitful for you to speak with him and use any info he may wish to share. You seem to be quite serious about how your experience is so impressive, could it be there might be someone with more......show the guy some respect !
      There is a procedure that will take care of those floaters, won't your health care allow you to have that operation ?
      I have been known to spend 4 to 6 hours in the grouse woods ( not trail walking ) where the cover can be much tougher to walk and shoot through. After doing that for several days, pheasants look like big balloons that are hardly moving.
      For most of the time over Gabe & Clem ( a 25 year period ) I would average 15 to 18 kills in a row to start the season. My best was 22 birds from a box of shells when Clem was 5 or 6 years old.
      Does this mean I am a "hot shot" ? The thing was I had two very good dogs with excellent noses and they understood hunting in range. When they turned and surged forward to flush, using my many years of experience it was very possible to anticipate which direction the bird would fly.
      The shots were generally so easy it was difficult to miss πŸ˜€
      As an upland bird hunter is this not what one would "aspire" for ?
      I have heard you comment before how difficult it is to lift and shoot your long heavy gun on your long and arduous hunts. Wouldn't it be better to get a lighter shotgun ( still with some weight forward ) to solve this issue ? If hunting hard all day ( or trying to ) leads to that much fatigue maybe a new perspective should be considered ?
      Not being able to complete your part of that task some would say is not showing respect for the dog.
      Since you have difficulty describing the move mount shoot method and understanding the nuances of it I will "respectfully" doubt this is the system you use.
      Or at best you are not using it to its full advantage ( which is making sure the muzzle is in front of the bird when the trigger is pulled ) !
      I strongly suspect that "back in the day" when he could see better, George shot high gun at the range like everyone else. Though he is a retired university prof, he's not very chatty. More of a researcher I gather from what little he has talked about it.

My schlera (eyeball) is so thin that in places the eye surgeon could even see through it during surgery (google "blue eye"). During first left eye surgery when attempting to place the silicone buckle around eyeball to squeeze it into egg shape, the eye surgeon tore a hole in the schlera, it was so thin. Repairing both the schlera and retina was quite a chore. The buckle subsequently caused two more tears and detachments within six months. The third time (a dangerous lower quadrant detachment) he relocated the buckle during surgery but warned it probably wouldn't work. Only 15% probability of not losing sight in that eye. Finally got lucky. I can still see with that eye, but only very poorly. Removing the floaters in the other "good eye" (also caused from retina tears) would require puncturing the eyeball with a needle and sucking them out. I would love to get rid of them but surgeon says no one will touch that fragile good eye unless they absolutely have to. In the event of a detachment (which was thought to be inevitable fifteen years ago), the floaters will be removed during vitrectomy. I would rather put up with floaters in my "good eye" than risk another series of calamities like we had back in 2004.

So you shot 22 grouse in a row without missing? Well, that is some feat! Ten years ago I could pound up and down mountains and valleys with ease. Though I'm still fairly fit, age is taking its toll. Last year I did switch to the Light Twelve towards the end of the season in Montana. Requires switching the stocks as the wood on it (which came off the Miroku Magnum Twelve but was not original to that gun - it has Belgian FN butt plate) is obviously a trap stock with a rise of about 3/4" at the heel above factory. I can't hit anything from low gun with that wood (but my daughter does fairly well with it at trap). Fortunately, switching stocks is easy on A-5s and doesn't require pulling recoil pads. But I simply didn't want to be bothered changing guns. Also, I swing a heavier gun much better. Most people do.

I don't miss many shots in the field even when exhausted (though I'm obviously not the grand expert you claim to be). But I didn't get many shots in Montana the last couple of years, exhausted or not. I recall at one point three consecutive days of hard hunting last fall, all day long, without a shot. In six weeks I bagged 25 birds and probably had the best season of anyone in the state (on public land anyway). Very, very tough hunting. Oh, and the dogs weren't disappointed. They have fun even if they don't get to retrieve anything. And I don't have to clean birds either. My dogs are excellent but when there's so few birds, there's not a lot can be expected. Even the hens take off running or they're in the air sixty yards away before we can get remotely close. The pheasants were so jumpy at the bird refuge that it was pretty much hopeless. I swear they were wearing long range radar. Hard to believe they could hear us that far away. Good news is it compelled me to look for a new place to hunt (I usually work the refuge on the way west to meet my brother with the trailer and then on the way home). I found a fabulous new huge chunk of publicly accessible land about sixty miles away that apparently no one hunts (I think the long VERY rough dusty road deters most folks). Not many birds (hard to tell since the cover for them was almost endless) but the few we did find were dumb as a stump and almost all were roosters. They held beautifully for Ellie. It was a blast. What pheasant hunting should be ... FINALLY. I missed one easy shot while hunting a dried slough the second day. It happens. Don't think I missed another shot even though the wind was cold and fairly gusty two out of three days. It took some work but got my two birds every day (I was on the way home and only had two left to fill possession so I was eating two every night at the motel).

Springerman, you read a lot between the lines that isn't there. Or you make assumptions based on bits and pieces pulled out of context. You don't know George, you've never seen me or my dogs hunt, you've never seen where I hunt, and you've never seen me (or my daughter) shoot at the range. Perhaps wait till you've had some personal direct contact before making grandiose assumptions.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-25-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

George doesn't talk because he can't get a word in edgewise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I strongly suspect that "back in the day" when he could see better, George shot high gun at the range like everyone else. Though he is a retired university prof, he's not very chatty. More of a researcher I gather from what little he has talked about it.

My schlera (eyeball) is so thin that in places the eye surgeon could even see through it during surgery (google "blue eye"). During first left eye surgery when attempting to place the silicone buckle around eyeball to squeeze it into egg shape, the eye surgeon tore a hole in the schlera, it was so thin. Repairing both the schlera and retina was quite a chore. The buckle subsequently caused two more tears and detachments within six months. The third time (a dangerous lower quadrant detachment) he relocated the buckle during surgery but warned it probably wouldn't work. Only 15% probability of not losing sight in that eye. Finally got lucky. I can still see with that eye, but only very poorly. Removing the floaters in the other "good eye" (also caused from retina tears) would require puncturing the eyeball with a needle and sucking them out. I would love to get rid of them but surgeon says no one will touch that fragile good eye unless they absolutely have to. In the event of a detachment (which was thought to be inevitable fifteen years ago), the floaters will be removed during vitrectomy. I would rather put up with floaters in my "good eye" than risk another series of calamities like we had back in 2004.

So you shot 22 grouse in a row without missing? Well, that is some feat! Ten years ago I could pound up and down mountains and valleys with ease. Though I'm still fairly fit, age is taking its toll. Last year I did switch to the Light Twelve towards the end of the season in Montana. Requires switching the stocks as the wood on it (which came off the Miroku Magnum Twelve but was not original to that gun - it has Belgian FN butt plate) is obviously a trap stock with a rise of about 3/4" at the heel above factory. I can't hit anything from low gun with that wood (but my daughter does fairly well with it at trap). Fortunately, switching stocks is easy on A-5s and doesn't require pulling recoil pads. But I simply didn't want to be bothered changing guns. Also, I swing a heavier gun much better. Most people do.

I don't miss many shots in the field even when exhausted (though I'm obviously not the grand expert you claim to be). But I didn't get many shots in Montana the last couple of years, exhausted or not. I recall at one point three consecutive days of hard hunting last fall, all day long, without a shot. In six weeks I bagged 25 birds and probably had the best season of anyone in the state (on public land anyway). Very, very tough hunting. Oh, and the dogs weren't disappointed. They have fun even if they don't get to retrieve anything. And I don't have to clean birds either. My dogs are excellent but when there's so few birds, there's not a lot can be expected. Even the hens take off running or they're in the air sixty yards away before we can get remotely close. The pheasants were so jumpy at the bird refuge that it was pretty much hopeless. I swear they were wearing long range radar. Hard to believe they could hear us that far away. Good news is it compelled me to look for a new place to hunt (I usually work the refuge on the way west to meet my brother with the trailer and then on the way home). I found a fabulous new huge chunk of publicly accessible land about sixty miles away that apparently no one hunts (I think the long VERY rough dusty road deters most folks). Not many birds (hard to tell since the cover for them was almost endless) but the few we did find were dumb as a stump and almost all were roosters. They held beautifully for Ellie. It was a blast. What pheasant hunting should be ... FINALLY. I missed one easy shot while hunting a dried slough the second day. It happens. Don't think I missed another shot even though the wind was cold and fairly gusty two out of three days. It took some work but got my two birds every day (I was on the way home and only had two left to fill possession so I was eating two every night at the motel).

Springerman, you read a lot between the lines that isn't there. Or you make assumptions based on bits and pieces pulled out of context. You don't know George, you've never seen me or my dogs hunt, you've never seen where I hunt, and you've never seen me (or my daughter) shoot at the range. Perhaps wait till you've had some personal direct contact before making grandiose assumptions.

I was hoping you would catch that I was referring to pheasants vs grouse on the birds in a row.....as well I said 22 birds from a box of shells not 22 in a row.
          Hard to imagine anyone being good enough to hit 15 - 18 grouse in a row unless they were shooting them off a limb or on the ground while walking a trail using a 22 rifle.
          Clem and I did have two very good 3 day grouse hunts one year, many years ago.
          10 for 18 ( all flying, 7 head shot ) and 9 for 14 ( all flying, 5 head shot ) ! I put in the "all flying" so you wouldn't be confused πŸ˜‹
          In the 8 months before those hunts I had gotten my first pair of prescription shooting glasses, had the mod barrel opened to skeet on the SKB 100 I was using ( now skeet/IC vs IC/mod ), had custom fitted stock made for the gun and a professional shooting lesson.
          The combination of all those things allowed me to be a much b​​​​etter shot in the grouse woods.
          The other thing ( more important ? ) is those were the best shots I have ever got on multiple days of grouse hunting. I could clearly see the head on almost every bird and the gun almost always came up just ahead of the beak.
          Bang and down they went, got to the point where Clem would hold position to hear the wings beating in the leaves ( head shot birds do that no matter what species ) so he would know where the bird was !! Closest thing to heaven on earth a hunter could have happen far as I am concerned πŸ˜€
          I have noticed before there Honk where your words don't quite make sense and when questioned about that some of the story seems to change.... fairly often.
          The mount and swing to a stationary object would be a prime example !
          Funny I seem to have noticed that you don't hesitate to offer shooting advice when someone asks a question about that. Lots of diagnosis about what they are doing wrong when you don't even know if they are giving an accurate description of what the "problem" is.....
          Since you consider your experience so worthy I would think you could describe your analogies more clearly without having someone ask question because what you wrote didn't add up.....
          You seem to "always" talk about not being able to tell when or where a bird will flush ( or direction ) using flushers. Since you have used labs primarily "I guess" we should assume this is what happens when you hunt your dogs yet you speak a lot about this "connection" between man & dog that is so important.
          What you describe doesn't happen to me very often and I know what the connection is between me and my dogs so your analogy doesn't add up.

These are not grandiose assumptions as quite often there is a question mark at the end of my sentence. If I ask a question because what you typed didn't make sense and then the answer is contrary to the first piece of info given, what are folks supposed to think.
          Does this guy really know what he is talking about is what pops into my mind.......so I ask 😏

Comment

"Since you consider your experience so worthy I would think you could describe your analogies more clearly without having someone ask question because what you wrote didn't add up.....
            You seem to "always" talk about not being able to tell when or where a bird will flush ( or direction ) using flushers. Since you have used labs primarily "I guess" we should assume this is what happens when you hunt your dogs yet you speak a lot about this "connection" between man & dog that is so important.
            What you describe doesn't happen to me very often and I know what the connection is between me and my dogs so your analogy doesn't add up."

Hmm. No one else seems to be confused about my "analogies". Sorry, but I don't recall ever relating any certainty about "when or where a bird will flush (or direction) using flushers." Quite the opposite. I believe I have said many times on here that it's a tossup for enjoyment between not knowing exactly when/where a birdy flusher will kick up the target and the joy of watching a good pointer nail one down for an easy walk up. The latter is definitely less challenging/exciting for the shooter (which in my book = less fun) but watching a good pointer work can certainly be rewarding ... if they work close. I don't see much enjoyment in watching a dog work a bird a half mile away. Opal kinda provided the best of both worlds. She was mostly the the close working flushing Lab but occasionally a pheasant or Hun would hold tight till she could see it. Then she'd go on point. Rock solid too. Couldn't get her to flush the bird. But if it blinked she'd push it up instantly. Ellie is something of an enigma. Hunt her with the other dogs and she is totally a flusher (one exception comes to mind when she pointed and they were all hunting). I had to be really careful or she'd bust Puppy's points every chance. Took some stern work before she'd come in for the walk up. And it has to be a "walk up." If I try to run or even quick step, Ellie will bolt and bust the bird. She knows Puppy has one and that drives her crazy. "I wanna play too!" But work Ellie alone or with the other dogs pulled in, and she becomes a dedicated pointing dog. Very stealthy. She will point hot, not just by sight. I suppose I could try harder to work the kinks out of her honouring Puppy's points but I'm hesitant to fiddle much with a really exceptional situation. Eventually Ellie will probably catch on. For now I'm okay with things the way they are. Better to work them individually anyway. Puppy is getting older and a break now and then is good for her. Too often I work the dogs too much the first week in Montana and have to nurse sore pads. Rotation is better for them ... but they will disagree.

I can't even guess what analogy you are referring to. You lost me about half way through that paragraph.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad