Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weatherby SA-08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weatherby SA-08

    I have a Weatherby SA-08 semi auto shotgun and for the money it has been a good gun. I have a Carlson extra full choke for it and with Remington Hevi-shot it shreads an 8 inch by `11 inch paper at 40 yards.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
    I have a Weatherby SA-08 semi auto shotgun and for the money it has been a good gun. I have a Carlson extra full choke for it and with Remington Hevi-shot it shreads an 8 inch by `11 inch paper at 40 yards.
    Thats pretty impressive sarge, I went through alot if chokes to get my gun where I want it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Our turkey season comes in Monday and I had my SA-08 to the range today. I tried it at 50 yards and with the Remington #6 Hevi-shot it shot a respectable pattern. 6 shot in the turkeys neck, not to bad at 50 yards.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
        Our turkey season comes in Monday and I had my SA-08 to the range today. I tried it at 50 yards and with the Remington #6 Hevi-shot it shot a respectable pattern. 6 shot in the turkeys neck, not to bad at 50 yards.
        Sarge: if it is shredding the target at 40 and only putting 6 pellets in the neck at 50 then I would say your max effective range is 40 yards......at 50 yards that # 6 hevi shot is just about out of gas to penetrate enough.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

          Sarge: if it is shredding the target at 40 and only putting 6 pellets in the neck at 50 then I would say your max effective range is 40 yards......at 50 yards that # 6 hevi shot is just about out of gas to penetrate enough.
          All it takes is 1 shot in the head or neck for a kill. I investigated a negligent shooting of a turkey hunter and what I found was amazing. The turkey hunter was deceased. Another hunter shot him at 50 yards and 1 (one) #4 copper plated shot entered in the corner of his eye and went to the brain and killed him. I have investigated probably 75 negligent shootings over my 35+ year career and this has to be the most amazing that I have ever investigated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

            All it takes is 1 shot in the head or neck for a kill. I investigated a negligent shooting of a turkey hunter and what I found was amazing. The turkey hunter was deceased. Another hunter shot him at 50 yards and 1 (one) #4 copper plated shot entered in the corner of his eye and went to the brain and killed him. I have investigated probably 75 negligent shootings over my 35+ year career and this has to be the most amazing that I have ever investigated.
            Hunter ed instructor for 25 years, I hear that one pellet thought way to much. The scientific pattern test results show 12 hits needed to ensure at least 2 - 4 pellets will hit vitals and make a clean kill.
            So from an ethical perspective do you want one pellet or 12 to hit the bird ?
            There is no guarantee that the one pellet will hit and penetrate to a vital spot.
            As well a # 4 will penetrate better than a # 6 at 50 yards 😀
            If you really want a lethal load at 50 yards then go buy some of the TSS # 7 loads, the pattern tests show incredible results.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

              Hunter ed instructor for 25 years, I hear that one pellet thought way to much. The scientific pattern test results show 12 hits needed to ensure at least 2 - 4 pellets will hit vitals and make a clean kill.
              So from an ethical perspective do you want one pellet or 12 to hit the bird ?
              There is no guarantee that the one pellet will hit and penetrate to a vital spot.
              As well a # 4 will penetrate better than a # 6 at 50 yards 😀
              If you really want a lethal load at 50 yards then go buy some of the TSS # 7 loads, the pattern tests show incredible results.
              The other day when I was at the range another hunter was there with his shotgun shooting the TSS#7 loads and at 40 yards it wasn't that much more impressive than my Remington #6 Hevi Shot out of my gun. Thanks for being an Hunter Ed Instructor, I have been a Hunter Ed Instructor for 47 years and was the Regional Training Officer who oversaw the Hunter Education program and Volunteer Instructors for my Region. I had 85 Volunteer Instructors for an 8 county area. I am proud to say that I was inducted into the West Virginia Volunteer Hunter Ed Instructor Hall of Fame. After I retired 13 years ago I still oversee and teach the public and school Hunter Education class here in my county. Someone asked my wife when I was going to stop teaching Hunter Ed class and she told them probably when they put me in the ground.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

                The other day when I was at the range another hunter was there with his shotgun shooting the TSS#7 loads and at 40 yards it wasn't that much more impressive than my Remington #6 Hevi Shot out of my gun. Thanks for being an Hunter Ed Instructor, I have been a Hunter Ed Instructor for 47 years and was the Regional Training Officer who oversaw the Hunter Education program and Volunteer Instructors for my Region. I had 85 Volunteer Instructors for an 8 county area. I am proud to say that I was inducted into the West Virginia Volunteer Hunter Ed Instructor Hall of Fame. After I retired 13 years ago I still oversee and teach the public and school Hunter Education class here in my county. Someone asked my wife when I was going to stop teaching Hunter Ed class and she told them probably when they put me in the ground.
                Thank you for your excellent service sir !
                As I am sure you know with any shotgun load for turkeys, all chokes may not give similar results with the same shell from the same gun. All the pattern tests I have seen for TSS give results that are quite spectacular, especially when you look at extended ranges. For me that would be 50 yards or farther.
                The even more important thing for TSS loads is the improved lethal capacity of the smaller shot. The TSS # 7 is the ballistic equivalent of a lead # 3. Since we don't have lead # 3 then one should compare that load to a lead # 4 or # 2.
                The potential pellet count on target will be almost double of those lead loads !
                I switched to a 20 gauge many years ago, if I can't get them inside 30 yards then they win that day 😀

                Comment

                Welcome!

                Collapse

                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                Right Rail 1

                Collapse

                Top Active Users

                Collapse

                There are no top active users.

                Right Rail 2

                Collapse

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                • Clan of the Cave Bear
                  by MattM37
                  Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
                  Today, 07:55 PM
                • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
                  by FirstBubba
                  Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
                  How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

                  "The...
                  Today, 09:39 PM
                • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                  by Gvanwage
                  Someone please school me on this!

                  I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
                  Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                  by PAShooter
                  I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
                  Today, 05:10 PM
                • Contaminants
                  by MattM37
                  How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

                  Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
                  Today, 04:54 PM

                Right Rail 3

                Collapse

                Footer Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X