Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

You obviously have been married "just long enough" 👍
      How did you guess 😁

Comment

That experience thing 😀

Comment

Growing up that was the gun folks cooed over and wanted to own as the best upland bird gun.
          This was the reason my Dad bought the Model 1400, 16 gauge, as he couldn't afford the Browning Sweet 16.
          He didn't shoot it quite as well as his pump but by golly he "owned" a 16 gauge !!
          Thinking it cost him $120 -$150 (maybe less) at the local grocery/hardware store.....
          You should bite the bullet (literally) and buy some 16 gauge ammo so you can take your M12 out and shoot it.
          Not much sense in owning a gun and not taking it out to go "bang" at something every now and then 😋
          The stock is WAY too short. Once in a while I check on E-bay for another one that hasn't been cut down (a little lady formerly owned mine) but the rare ones that do come up are usually in pretty tough shape. I do shoot grouse with it once in a while but have to be careful or I'll get a bloody nose. It would be a fun gun for pheasants for sure but better if it was not full choke.

Comment

16 ga,

Not too plentiful, but my LGS tries to keep some in stock (and if you place an order by Tues, might have it by Friday).

No too hard to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

The stock is WAY too short. Once in a while I check on E-bay for another one that hasn't been cut down (a little lady formerly owned mine) but the rare ones that do come up are usually in pretty tough shape. I do shoot grouse with it once in a while but have to be careful or I'll get a bloody nose. It would be a fun gun for pheasants for sure but better if it was not full choke.
              Check out JeffsOutfitters.com, they sell Winchester stocks made to original specs. Pretty sure you can buy an unfinished one so you can stain it to match the wood already on the gun. 16 gauge spreader loads available at RST......or send the barrel to Briley to have it opened up or fitted for choke tubes.
              Since you are not living on beans, rice & goose breast meat these are all things that you can afford per some of your past posts.
              Doing these things would allow you to go create memories with this gun which you claim is what is important to you ?
              Happy Saturday morning 👍😀

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                16 ga,

Not too plentiful, but my LGS tries to keep some in stock (and if you place an order by Tues, might have it by Friday).

No too hard to plan ahead.
                Have you checked a Cabelas for the Herters shells ? I heard they might be discontinuing them now that the merger with Bass Pro is complete though.

Comment

Price isn't all I consider when making a purchase.
                  However, my LGS (mom and pop place) is competitive enough to forgo the hr drive to Cabela's.
                  They usually cheaper, and have the odd stuff the chains don't.
                  Still haven't been able to get me the SK match ammo though.

Comment

I did pass on an 1100 LW Magnum yesterday (want an LT). Guy that bought my old dove gun bought the LW..........too funny.
                    Pops still has a case of old AA 7.5's. Can't remember if Superhandicap or not.
                    Need to find me a private spot for dove. Use lead in the 1100 T.
                    Public land, w skybusters and steel shot, is a cluster.
                    That and wicked sunburn, fields laid out for max roast..........just not worth the hassle anymore.

Comment

Check out JeffsOutfitters.com, they sell Winchester stocks made to original specs. Pretty sure you can buy an unfinished one so you can stain it to match the wood already on the gun. 16 gauge spreader loads available at RST......or send the barrel to Briley to have it opened up or fitted for choke tubes.
                      Since you are not living on beans, rice & goose breast meat these are all things that you can afford per some of your past posts.
                      Doing these things would allow you to go create memories with this gun which you claim is what is important to you ?
                      Happy Saturday morning 👍😀
                      That gun is technically now my daughter's (but I still have it here). Though her mom was tiny (4'10" @ 85 lbs), she is a good sized gal and it is too short for her too. I created a helluva lot of memories with that gun already. Putting Briley's custom chokes in it would almost be a sin. Even opening it up to modified (which could be done locally) would ruin the collector value. It'll never be a duck gun again (I wouldn't shoot steel shot with it even if opened up to modified) so I don't see much point in that. With full it would do okay as a pheasant gun but only so many guns I can pack along to Montana. And finding sixteen gauge ammo in those small communities would be tough. If I ever decide to do more grouse hunting here I would either invest in spreader loads or just load my own. But grouse and goose season are on at the same time and you know where my heart is. Being out in the fall colors watching thousands of birds in the air vs stomping around all day in heavy cover and maybe finding a grouse or two for the dogs. It's a no brainer.

I'll check out that site for gun stocks. Sure I can always put a new one on it but kinda always wanted to find an original factory one. The wood on this shortened stock is very pretty. A shame to put it away but also no sense in keeping it on the gun if it renders it nearly useless.

Comment

I did pass on an 1100 LW Magnum yesterday (want an LT). Guy that bought my old dove gun bought the LW..........too funny.
                        Pops still has a case of old AA 7.5's. Can't remember if Superhandicap or not.
                        Need to find me a private spot for dove. Use lead in the 1100 T.
                        Public land, w skybusters and steel shot, is a cluster.
                        That and wicked sunburn, fields laid out for max roast..........just not worth the hassle anymore.
                        I forget what state you live in ?
                        I dove hunt mostly cut corn fields within 3 - 4 miles of my house. Usually by myself or invite some silly outdoor writer 😋
                        Never imagined how much fun it could be !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

That gun is technically now my daughter's (but I still have it here). Though her mom was tiny (4'10" @ 85 lbs), she is a good sized gal and it is too short for her too. I created a helluva lot of memories with that gun already. Putting Briley's custom chokes in it would almost be a sin. Even opening it up to modified (which could be done locally) would ruin the collector value. It'll never be a duck gun again (I wouldn't shoot steel shot with it even if opened up to modified) so I don't see much point in that. With full it would do okay as a pheasant gun but only so many guns I can pack along to Montana. And finding sixteen gauge ammo in those small communities would be tough. If I ever decide to do more grouse hunting here I would either invest in spreader loads or just load my own. But grouse and goose season are on at the same time and you know where my heart is. Being out in the fall colors watching thousands of birds in the air vs stomping around all day in heavy cover and maybe finding a grouse or two for the dogs. It's a no brainer.

I'll check out that site for gun stocks. Sure I can always put a new one on it but kinda always wanted to find an original factory one. The wood on this shortened stock is very pretty. A shame to put it away but also no sense in keeping it on the gun if it renders it nearly useless.
                          You could shoot bismuth or Hevi-Shot for waterfowl or in Montana for ditch parrots.
                          Pretty sure RST would ship shells to where you are staying in Montana. Especially when you stay in the same place year after year ?
                          Isn't your A-5 full choke that you shoot steel in ?
                          Oh the pretty wood syndrome, gosh that always make birds die better when one shoots them 😀

Comment

I forget what state you live in ?
                            I dove hunt mostly cut corn fields within 3 - 4 miles of my house. Usually by myself or invite some silly outdoor writer 😋
                            Never imagined how much fun it could be !!
                            Indiana.
                            Buddy had big hay field behind his house (mile square). Once cut you could spook a bunch off the low areas (sometimes wet) or could flush em anywhere else. Once up they'd often criss cross and give you pass shooting. No place to hide........just hunker down and don't move.

Was a tough hunt but could do well. Sun just hammered on ya.

Of course I'd go back to the house, shade of big walnuts, and blast them as they came to the silos next door.
                            More birds, more comfy........but not much sport.

Usually put in for draw and F&W area NW part of state. Been hunting there since the 80's.
                            Done very well. Now everything by electronic drawing. Buddy and I .........one of us usually drawn, sometimes both (for both reserved days).

Some younger guys hunting there now, old timers quit or passed on. It's different.
                            Non toxic shot mandated years ago..........rare was the skybuster when lead was legal.
                            Guys now shoot at em farther out w steel.
                            Makes no sense.
                            Until you go to the parking area and see they're from Chicago.

Comment

And yeah, pretty guns do make critters taste better.

Comment

And yeah, pretty guns do make critters taste better.
                                Funny man you are 😋 well maybe not !
                                I find the birds I shot with my 870 did not taste better than the ones I shoot now with my Franchi s/s ( better wood )....
                                Sounds like an old wives tale !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad