talked me into it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talked me into it

So I made my decision today afrer driving the guy at f&s completley insane. I opted for for the 20 ga. I bought a stoeger over and under and it shoots great. Thanks S3.

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
    So I made my decision today afrer driving the guy at f&s completley insane. I opted for for the 20 ga. I bought a stoeger over and under and it shoots great. Thanks S3.
    You are welcome ..... I think 😎
    I went to the local Scheels today, they had three Browning A-5, 16 gauges in the "special" gun room. All older versions with fixed chokes.
    Prices varied from $1200 - 2000. They can be viewed on the Guns International website they told me.
    Too little, too late I guess 😥
    Assuming it has choke tubes, with the good turkey loads you or your kids should be able to bag a gobbler this spring with it ? Keep us posted!!

Comment

Are you going to blame me if it doesn't work out 😋
      Still rooting for ya !

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Are you going to blame me if it doesn't work out 😋
        Still rooting for ya !
        No not at all. I put about 30 rounds through it when I got home. Different loads like remington gun clubs #8, f&s high brass # 7 1/2, and remington 3" nitro turkey # 5. All shot well in it. It has three tubes i'm guessing they are improved, modified, and full.

Comment

No not at all. I put about 30 rounds through it when I got home. Different loads like remington gun clubs #8, f&s high brass # 7 1/2, and remington 3" nitro turkey # 5. All shot well in it. It has three tubes i'm guessing they are improved, modified, and full.
          I'm pretty sure Stoeger uses Beretta chokes and they are readily available just about everywhere. O/Us are, generally speaking, less finicky than autos. Never handled one of Stoeger's O/Us but their pump is pretty much junk in my opinion. About need a come-along to work the slide. Very rough! Looking inside I was appalled at the lack of finish. Rough edges abound. A kid on my trap team was shooting one and I took it home to clean it up with Dremel tool. Made a helluva improvement. Just another typical modern day cheap gun. Makes me wonder what tomorrow's cheap guns will be like. Scotch tape and paper clips?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I'm pretty sure Stoeger uses Beretta chokes and they are readily available just about everywhere. O/Us are, generally speaking, less finicky than autos. Never handled one of Stoeger's O/Us but their pump is pretty much junk in my opinion. About need a come-along to work the slide. Very rough! Looking inside I was appalled at the lack of finish. Rough edges abound. A kid on my trap team was shooting one and I took it home to clean it up with Dremel tool. Made a helluva improvement. Just another typical modern day cheap gun. Makes me wonder what tomorrow's cheap guns will be like. Scotch tape and paper clips?
            Honk: maybe you should check out the website I gave to look at the 16 gauge A5's they have ?

Comment

Springerman: I am not interested in acquiring any more guns. I have too many already. Once the Citori finds its way home, I will have five shotguns in the safe: pre-1964 Model 12 sixteen gauge (first gun), worn out 1968 870 3" magnum (original waterfowl gun), 1972 fixed modified Light Twelve A-5 (pheasant gun), 1976 Magnum Twelve with chokes (bought used four years ago as retina medicine), and 1999 Citori twelve gauge range gun (bought last month). For thirty-five years (1964-1999) I only had the Model 12 and 870 (traded Light Twelve to my dad shortly after acquiring it) and did just fine.

Jason: It sounds like that money was burning a hole in your pocket. Wish I'd known you were thinking about Stoeger. As I said below, the lack of quality control on the pump I fixed was shocking. A couple of fellas from time to time shoot their Stoeger autos at clays but I think both have now resolved to stick with their Benellis. One has a son who also shoots with us once in a while. Two years ago his Stoeger semi went fully auto TWICE. Fortunately he only had two shells in the gun both times. Stoeger fixed it ... eventually. Mike told me what the problem was but I can't remember.
              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Honk I wasn't really planning it but I was impressed that the gun was smooth and tight, a little to tight actually but it was fine after about 6 shots. Now it opens and ejects fairly nice. My wife was with me and decided that it would make a good birthday present.

Comment

Honk I wasn't really planning it but I was impressed that the gun was smooth and tight, a little to tight actually but it was fine after about 6 shots. Now it opens and ejects fairly nice. My wife was with me and decided that it would make a good birthday present.
                  Birthday gift for you or the wife ? If for you did she pay ?
                  😀😀

Comment

Birthday present for me and she paid with our tax return. 🤔

Comment

Birthday present for me and she paid with our tax return. 🤔
                      "she" paid with "our" tax return.....
                      Happy Birthday 👍👍

Comment

Springerman: I am not interested in acquiring any more guns. I have too many already. Once the Citori finds its way home, I will have five shotguns in the safe: pre-1964 Model 12 sixteen gauge (first gun), worn out 1968 870 3" magnum (original waterfowl gun), 1972 fixed modified Light Twelve A-5 (pheasant gun), 1976 Magnum Twelve with chokes (bought used four years ago as retina medicine), and 1999 Citori twelve gauge range gun (bought last month). For thirty-five years (1964-1999) I only had the Model 12 and 870 (traded Light Twelve to my dad shortly after acquiring it) and did just fine.

Jason: It sounds like that money was burning a hole in your pocket. Wish I'd known you were thinking about Stoeger. As I said below, the lack of quality control on the pump I fixed was shocking. A couple of fellas from time to time shoot their Stoeger autos at clays but I think both have now resolved to stick with their Benellis. One has a son who also shoots with us once in a while. Two years ago his Stoeger semi went fully auto TWICE. Fortunately he only had two shells in the gun both times. Stoeger fixed it ... eventually. Mike told me what the problem was but I can't remember.
                        Wow for a guy that is "all about" the Browning A-5 one think it would be the cats meow to own a Belgium Sweet 16.....
                        Guess not 😥

Comment

"she" paid with "our" tax return.....
                          Happy Birthday 👍👍
                          Is that the "for better or worse part" ? 😁

Comment

Wow for a guy that is "all about" the Browning A-5 one think it would be the cats meow to own a Belgium Sweet 16.....
                            Guess not 😥
                            A Sweet Sixteen is still just a sixteen gauge. No more useful than my Light Twelve. Actually much less useful considering the difficulty finding ammo here. So why would it be the cat's meow?

Comment

A Sweet Sixteen is still just a sixteen gauge. No more useful than my Light Twelve. Actually much less useful considering the difficulty finding ammo here. So why would it be the cat's meow?
                              Growing up that was the gun folks cooed over and wanted to own as the best upland bird gun.
                              This was the reason my Dad bought the Model 1400, 16 gauge, as he couldn't afford the Browning Sweet 16.
                              He didn't shoot it quite as well as his pump but by golly he "owned" a 16 gauge !!
                              Thinking it cost him $120 -$150 (maybe less) at the local grocery/hardware store.....
                              You should bite the bullet (literally) and buy some 16 gauge ammo so you can take your M12 out and shoot it.
                              Not much sense in owning a gun and not taking it out to go "bang" at something every now and then 😋

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad