Cz 16 gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I've never owned either so take this for what it's worth.

To me the 16 has a workhorse reputation to It, while the 28 comes across as more "upscale".

As a matter of practicality the 16 makes more sense. Ammo for both tends to be more limited on store shelves, and more expensive than 12's and 20's.

My only interest in a 28 is because I hunt grouse and woodcock with Brittanies and the idea of a nimble lightweight appeals to me. The only way I'd buy one though is if I stumbled on a great deal for a true 28.. I picked up a Franchi Instinct L 20 a couple years back that I like very much, but my son has taken a liking to it so I may be in the market for a replacement.
    Yea I think i'm going with the 16. I would love to find an oldet cheap 16 somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Geez! I cut my teeth on the 16 gauge "Elsie" that currently resides in my gun safe! I got it for CHRISTmas 65 years ago.
      Since then, I've acquired 4 other 16 gauge guns.
      Two Win M12, a Rem "Sportsman" and a Stevens 67D I got for my 16th b'day.
      The 16 gauge is THE quintessential "perfect" shotgun gauge.
      The bore diameter and a one ounce load of shot are a perfect fit.
      In the world of standard 2.75" lead shotgun ammo, there is little the 12 can do the 16 can't and it far surpasses anything the 20 can do!
      For a one shotgun hunter, the 16 is tough to beat.
      Wanna sell a model 12 bubba?

Comment

I've never owned either so take this for what it's worth.

To me the 16 has a workhorse reputation to It, while the 28 comes across as more "upscale".

As a matter of practicality the 16 makes more sense. Ammo for both tends to be more limited on store shelves, and more expensive than 12's and 20's.

My only interest in a 28 is because I hunt grouse and woodcock with Brittanies and the idea of a nimble lightweight appeals to me. The only way I'd buy one though is if I stumbled on a great deal for a true 28.. I picked up a Franchi Instinct L 20 a couple years back that I like very much, but my son has taken a liking to it so I may be in the market for a replacement.
        Fitch: have you picked up the 28 gauge version of the Franchi L ? It has a very nice feel, I bought one in Nov 2017 for $849.
        24 on my first round of skeet & 3 for 3 on quail the first time out.
        I used it once this year on pheasants and got the only one I shot at.
        You can always reload 20 gauge shells with 3/4 oz shot for grouse & woodcock. Compared to factory 28 loads they are much tamer......and cheaper !!

Comment

That Franchi INSTICT L over and under looks like a nice shotgun. In a 20 ga it's $969.00. In a 16 it's $1800.00. Can anyone tell me who deals with franchi so I could maybe look at a few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Fitch: have you picked up the 28 gauge version of the Franchi L ? It has a very nice feel, I bought one in Nov 2017 for $849.
            24 on my first round of skeet & 3 for 3 on quail the first time out.
            I used it once this year on pheasants and got the only one I shot at.
            You can always reload 20 gauge shells with 3/4 oz shot for grouse & woodcock. Compared to factory 28 loads they are much tamer......and cheaper !!
            I haven't been keeping up with shotguns as much since getting the 20. The .22 leage, the kids getting more involved in general, archery seasons and the boy rifle hunting this year have taken up much of my focus. No complaints.

The boy has grown about a foot in the last two years. His 500 is still suitable for turkeys but I don't think I'll buy the full size stock for it due to the short barrel. I've been keeping an eye out for a 24" tube but the couple I've run across had typical gun show prices on them. The Instinct is a good hunting gun that I bought to use so I'm good with him carrying it. I'll just need to find something else for me. Probably another 20, maybe an SL this time. I like carrying just 20 gauge shells for both of us, and now for 3 with my daughter.

I messed up a few years back. A cousin won a DU 28gauge 686 on a ticket he bought from a friend. When he went to pick it up from the dealer he asked what the guy would give him for it. He was annoyed when the guy told him $500. He asked if I was intrested in it but wouldn't name a price. I tried to explain that the DU thing didn't really make it more valuable but didn't want to offend him and passed on it. He ended up selling it but I don't know for how much. I probably should have offered him $750, but it's just one of those things that wasn't meant to be I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
              That Franchi INSTICT L over and under looks like a nice shotgun. In a 20 ga it's $969.00. In a 16 it's $1800.00. Can anyone tell me who deals with franchi so I could maybe look at a few of them.
              I would think Cabelas & Bass Pro should. Not sure about Dicks or Field & Stream stores.
              A local store may carry them if they do enough volume.
              I think the new Gander stores might ?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                Try Franchi's website for a dealer location near you.

I bought mine at Gander Mtn well before they went out, paid $800+ tax. They were running a 20%off any firearm at the time.
                I don't like the Instinct version Dick's sells, or at least used to. It's an exclusive, isn't as nice and only comes with one choke tube. Besides I won't purchase firearm related items there anymore. At risk of being a hypocrite I'll admit to buying fishing gear and cleats/sneakers for the kids. They do run good sales at times..

Comment

Try Franchi's website for a dealer location near you.

I bought mine at Gander Mtn well before they went out, paid $800+ tax. They were running a 20%off any firearm at the time.
                  I don't like the Instinct version Dick's sells, or at least used to. It's an exclusive, isn't as nice and only comes with one choke tube. Besides I won't purchase firearm related items there anymore. At risk of being a hypocrite I'll admit to buying fishing gear and cleats/sneakers for the kids. They do run good sales at times..
                  I feel you on that one fitch, As I feel the same. I may take ride to cabelas, our gander mountain closed because their buisiness died. I think that was because of the people selling guns there, they didn't know crap but acted like the invented the gun. I think alot of people got offended and went to field and stream across town. My only issue with cabelas is the wv - pa transfer crap.

Comment

Took a family trip to Hamburg the weekend before last. I'm very disappointed with the closing of the Bargain Cave. Cabela's as a whole isn't what it was before the Bass Pro deal. I've only set foot once in the new Gander Outdoors near us, decided I didn't need to go back. It appears most of my buying will be from shows and small stores, pretty much has been for most of my gun purchases the last couple years anyway. The Franchi being an exception. It's a good thing Kittery Trading Post isn't closer to me though.

Comment

Took a family trip to Hamburg the weekend before last. I'm very disappointed with the closing of the Bargain Cave. Cabela's as a whole isn't what it was before the Bass Pro deal. I've only set foot once in the new Gander Outdoors near us, decided I didn't need to go back. It appears most of my buying will be from shows and small stores, pretty much has been for most of my gun purchases the last couple years anyway. The Franchi being an exception. It's a good thing Kittery Trading Post isn't closer to me though.
                      We have rural king here now they sell guns. I have been using a small shop here in washington pa, nice younger guy owns it and can get anything I want for better prices. I think I will go to cabelas and look at it, then go to him and buy it. I like cabelas alot but I refuse to do the bs because i'm acriss the state line. Oh and yea the bargain cave... I loved that place. Bought a pair of waterfowl waders in there for 99.00

Comment

The new Gander Outdoor here is selling Remington Gun Club target loads for $4.99 a box. Our local gun club can't match that price on their component buy.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

The new Gander Outdoor here is selling Remington Gun Club target loads for $4.99 a box. Our local gun club can't match that price on their component buy.
                          Regular price or sale?

We have three options to shop major stores, all an hour plus drive. One of those options never had a Gander, a second closed leaving just the third. Unfortunately in that area the mall lost the stores my wife likes, so our last trip that way was a couple weeks after the new GO opened. I wasn't awestruck by the change. We have a camper but had no interest in most of the inventory. Guess if we end up near one I should at least take a second look.
                          Last edited by fitch270; 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Regular price or sale?

We have three options to shop major stores, all an hour plus drive. One of those options never had a Gander, a second closed leaving just the third. Unfortunately in that area the mall lost the stores my wife likes, so our last trip that way was a couple weeks after the new GO opened. I wasn't awestruck by the change. We have a camper but had no interest in most of the inventory. Guess if we end up near one I should at least take a second look.
                            That has been the price since they opened last summer so quite possibly it is their regular price ( or until the mass quantity in the distribution center warehouse runs out ) !!
                            I might swing by today to check the price.
                            We might be in NY around the end of June.

Comment

Academy is the only "big box" I frequent. Even then, they seldom have anything I care to purchase.
                              There are about 5 or 6 "Mom & Pop" shops within a 1 hour drive.
                              If I can't find what I want there, I just have to go online.
                              Recently needed some bullets for my 6.8mm. Not a single, solitary soul stocked them. Finally found them at "Potterfield's".
                              Midway is normally higher than a cats back. This time, even with shipping, they were cheaper than anywhere else! Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                                Academy is the only "big box" I frequent. Even then, they seldom have anything I care to purchase.
                                There are about 5 or 6 "Mom & Pop" shops within a 1 hour drive.
                                If I can't find what I want there, I just have to go online.
                                Recently needed some bullets for my 6.8mm. Not a single, solitary soul stocked them. Finally found them at "Potterfield's".
                                Midway is normally higher than a cats back. This time, even with shipping, they were cheaper than anywhere else! Go figure!
                                Bubba try natchez shooters supply, oh and by the way since we are on this post again. Do you or are you willing to sell a model 12 16 ga?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad