Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Remington 870 Express Supermag with black synthetic stock that kicks me in the face so bad my cheek begins to swell aft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Remington 870 Express Supermag with black synthetic stock that kicks me in the face so bad my cheek begins to swell aft

I have a Remington 870 Express Supermag with black synthetic stock that kicks me in the face so bad my cheek begins to swell after only a few shots with even low brass target loads. I have shot many other 870s identical to mine with the same stock and barrel as mine and never had this problem with any other gun. I sometimes feel like I try harder to get down on the gun to see the bead like I should. Any suggestions?

I would get a wood stock or trade the gun for a semi-auto.

Comment

i would sell and buy a new or used one at a gun show.

Comment

Is the synthetic stock longer than your wood stock? Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get your face down on a longer stock leaving it to come back up and "kiss" you.

I wouldn't change a thing. You can over come it with practice

Comment

THATS BS! take it to a gunsmith and get the stock measured and fitted to your arms. If you have a comparable gun take it to and have that gun copied to fit it.
          If nothing else get a recoil reducing device such as lead, mercury, or the kicks stock put on it You will NEVER OVERCOME PAIN BY PRACTICING.

Comment

Dont try so hard to get down and look at the bead. point dont aim with your shot gun. make sure its tight in oyur shoulder and practice with low brass until you figure it out. shoot clays by pointing and you shoud be good to go.

Comment

Not everyone can shoot a firearm like that. Are you pulling it into you shoulder hard enough? If perhaps so, you might want to consider a Remington 11-87

Comment

Yea I have an 1100 that I use when shooting ducks and doves but I like to use larger 3 and 3.5 inch loads on ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. The stock is the same length as my grand father's 870 wingmaster, the only difference is his is walnut.

Comment

It's not the composition of the stock that is making it come up. If the stock is the same size and shape then I'd practice setting it into your shoulder. I shoot an 870 SP Mag with composite stock and never had that problem but it has a 21 in barrel.

Comment

Get a 'Limbsaver' buttpad,for anything that kicks

Comment

NNM,

The 3.5 inch loads in a pump gun are brutal, especially turkey loads. I agree with Brad, it sounds as if the stock fit is off. It may be that the drop differs from the old model. Have a gun smith check it out for you and consider a recoil reduction device. Never keep shooting a gun that pounds you. You won't get used to it you will start to run from it!

Comment

Point, don't aim. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're already doing battle with this gun in your mind so it will be very difficult to learn a natural gun mount that will prevent injury.

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I had the same problem with my 870 when I bought it four years ago. Having shot hand loaded big bore rifles for years I knew when I couldn't hold on to a 12 gauge something was wrong. I took the plug out of the tube and replaced it with a capped pipe filled with fine shot. Then I filled the cavity under the butt plate with shot. The difference was like night and day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad