Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently received from my Dad -RIP- a JC Higgins 12 ga model-20 pump with a POWerPAC chokeQ. Can you fire Segmented Rifled Slug 1oz with this choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[email protected]@-
    Having used a POWerPac for years, I would not recommend shooting slugs through one. Since the POWerPAC has an inverted choke tube system, there can be as much as 1 1/2 inches of space between the actual muzzle of the weapon and where the shot contracts the choke tube. Never had a problem with birdshot or even buckshot, but would not want to chance sending a 1 oz. solid lead projectile through that arrangement.
    Your POWerPAC is neither a muzzle brake nor a compensator. It is strictly a choke tube arrangement, similar to the Cutts arrangement, even though Cutts calls theirs a compensator. Nor does it make your shotgun louder. It is a choking device. For home defense, get some good #1 buckshot and have no worries. An intruder will never know the difference between 12 pellets of #1 buck and a rifled slug.
    Note: You should have three tubes, marked Short, Medium and Long, and a small spanner wrench that fits the hole on te tubes at the end of the perforated cylinder on the end of the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]@ View Post
      Here is a Pic of the Choke-JC Higgins 12ga.
      Barrel of the choke is 3" and there is 1" space between. Still not sure if a slug is the right ammo for this setup. Any help would be appreciated.
      What?? Canajan Genius and expert on all things shotgun has never seen one of these? Can't believe what I am reading!

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
        [email protected]@-
        Having used a POWerPac for years, I would not recommend shooting slugs through one. Since the POWerPAC has an inverted choke tube system, there can be as much as 1 1/2 inches of space between the actual muzzle of the weapon and where the shot contracts the choke tube. Never had a problem with birdshot or even buckshot, but would not want to chance sending a 1 oz. solid lead projectile through that arrangement.
        Your POWerPAC is neither a muzzle brake nor a compensator. It is strictly a choke tube arrangement, similar to the Cutts arrangement, even though Cutts calls theirs a compensator. Nor does it make your shotgun louder. It is a choking device. For home defense, get some good #1 buckshot and have no worries. An intruder will never know the difference between 12 pellets of #1 buck and a rifled slug.
        Note: You should have three tubes, marked Short, Medium and Long, and a small spanner wrench that fits the hole on te tubes at the end of the perforated cylinder on the end of the barrel.
        Thanks for the info....I'm with you on that spacing between the muzzle and the choke tube for a slug..
        I have only got that one tube that came with the gun but it has 1 inch of space between the muzzle and tube.

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorTeacher View Post
          If memory serves correctly those chokes were labeled by distance, so the short range choke was like an imp cyl, medium range was like a modified, and long range was like a full. As long as you don't have the long range/full choke I wouldn't see a problem with putting slugs through it. However, I am not any sort of authority on segmented slugs, I feel like they wouldn't be any different to fire than a traditional rifled slug, but have no experience with them. IMHO they are more of a gimmick than anything. Either use a regular foster slug, or if you are worried about shooting through stuff use buckshot.
          Use #4 buckshot in the house. While I understand what OH is getting at, you still want something that will stop an intruder. If you miss a meth head they will keep coming. Heck, even if you hit them they might keep coming. OH don't you think 5 min is a bit of a stretch? I know plenty of guys who forgot to put in earplugs in a box blind or pit blind and while that first shot made their ears ring they were not stumbling around at all.

Comment

Go on Line,Check this out.

www.corsonsbarrle.com

They have all the Tubes & tools OR go to Power Pack Choke.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Barrel of the choke is 3" and there is 1" space between. Still not sure if a slug is the right ammo for this setup. Any help would be appreciated.
              I have a pump with this chokes! Can this be replace or used with out this chokes on it.

Comment

I have a pump with this chokes! Can this be replace or used with out this chokes on it.

Comment

I have the card that came with it for the power pac and it shows a grouse for short range,rabbit for medium range,duck for long range and open for rifled slugs.meaning take the tubes out for slugs.

Comment

Hi there ..
                    Excuse me I am about to bought on of j.c Higgins shotguns model 20 12g ..
                    And its have the same power pac advice long range .. so my question is the same of yours mr : [email protected]@ .. and I still don't have any answer about the right using for this choke and I wondering if I can remove the choke (power pac)? And use the slug or any types of shell with open barrel? I meant to untied the choke out and using this shotgun free mode?
                    If you're use it or try all of your and mine wondering please reply me here : [email protected]
                    I know its too late but : never meant to belong.
                    Thanks alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_4 View Post
                      I have the card that came with it for the power pac and it shows a grouse for short range,rabbit for medium range,duck for long range and open for rifled slugs.meaning take the tubes out for slugs.
                      Bill4 not sure if this thread is still active but was wondering if you could post a photo of the card here? I recently inherited my dads JC Higgins M20 with POWerPAC and would be curious to see the info for it. Thanks for any help!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become
                        Today, 07:02 PM
                      • No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                        by Buckshott00
                        Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got...
                        Yesterday, 04:45 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by PigHunter
                        Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides....
                        Today, 06:57 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Yeah. Too bad. Too bad this site doesn't have a moderator to flush BS artists like that noncontributory crm troll. He never gives up making a fool of...
                        Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X