Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently received from my Dad -RIP- a JC Higgins 12 ga model-20 pump with a POWerPAC chokeQ. Can you fire Segmented Rifled Slug 1oz with this choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently received from my Dad -RIP- a JC Higgins 12 ga model-20 pump with a POWerPAC chokeQ. Can you fire Segmented Rifled Slug 1oz with this choke?

I recently received from my Dad -RIP- a JC Higgins 12 ga model-20 pump with a POWerPAC choke Q. Can you fire Segmented Rifled Slug 1oz with this choke?

Is that an adjustable choke?

Comment

If memory serves correctly those chokes were labeled by distance, so the short range choke was like an imp cyl, medium range was like a modified, and long range was like a full. As long as you don't have the long range/full choke I wouldn't see a problem with putting slugs through it. However, I am not any sort of authority on segmented slugs, I feel like they wouldn't be any different to fire than a traditional rifled slug, but have no experience with them. IMHO they are more of a gimmick than anything. Either use a regular foster slug, or if you are worried about shooting through stuff use buckshot.

Comment

As the teacher said, use the 'short range' choke which would be the more open of the three. Check the accuracy with the rifled slugs and see how it does. They were not noted for being accurate but you might luck out. Try different rifled slugs and see.
        Another thing was the cuts in the choke tended to shave the wad as it went by and needed to be cleaned every so often. This is a great pump made by Hi-Standard and is all steel - a real work horse. If you don't have all 3 choke tubes you might find them at a gun show. Short, medium and long were the designations. There should be a spanner wrench as well.
        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Ontario Honker~ Not sure.! It is vented 4 3/4 long and it does have a knurled ring on it at the end.
          Its an Old one, I can remember firing this thing a Long time ago. Have cleaned it and loaded it with 7 1/2 bird shot followed by #4 buck and a couple slugs. Mainly Home defense but not that familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorTeacher View Post
            If memory serves correctly those chokes were labeled by distance, so the short range choke was like an imp cyl, medium range was like a modified, and long range was like a full. As long as you don't have the long range/full choke I wouldn't see a problem with putting slugs through it. However, I am not any sort of authority on segmented slugs, I feel like they wouldn't be any different to fire than a traditional rifled slug, but have no experience with them. IMHO they are more of a gimmick than anything. Either use a regular foster slug, or if you are worried about shooting through stuff use buckshot.
            Thanks, I use it mainly for Home defense but not that familiar with it. I could really use some expertise on this before I throw a slug down the line. Choke is 4 3/4 long, vented and not sure if adjustable...has a knurled knob at the end.

Comment

Thanks, I use it mainly for Home defense but not that familiar with it. I could really use some expertise on this before I throw a slug down the line. Choke is 4 3/4 long, vented and not sure if adjustable...has a knurled knob at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                Ontario Honker~ Not sure.! It is vented 4 3/4 long and it does have a knurled ring on it at the end.
                Its an Old one, I can remember firing this thing a Long time ago. Have cleaned it and loaded it with 7 1/2 bird shot followed by #4 buck and a couple slugs. Mainly Home defense but not that familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  As the teacher said, use the 'short range' choke which would be the more open of the three. Check the accuracy with the rifled slugs and see how it does. They were not noted for being accurate but you might luck out. Try different rifled slugs and see.
                  Another thing was the cuts in the choke tended to shave the wad as it went by and needed to be cleaned every so often. This is a great pump made by Hi-Standard and is all steel - a real work horse. If you don't have all 3 choke tubes you might find them at a gun show. Short, medium and long were the designations. There should be a spanner wrench as well.
                  Good luck.
                  Thanks, I see there is a knurled knob at the end of the choke.
                  Its 4 3/4 long, vented and I don't have the spanner wrench but thanks for the info~~

Comment

I think it probably looks like this, so if it is not a adjustable "Poly-" type choke, the answer is...probably. No way to know for sure except to ask the manufacturer, and that may be a problem.

Use an open choke for sure whatever you decide, like imp. cylinder.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a Pic of the Choke-JC Higgins 12ga.
                      Barrel of the choke is 3" and there is 1" space between. Still not sure if a slug is the right ammo for this setup. Any help would be appreciated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]@ View Post
                        Barrel of the choke is 3" and there is 1" space between. Still not sure if a slug is the right ammo for this setup. Any help would be appreciated.
                        Hmmm. Picture I found doesn't seem to be the whole apparatus. I see space through that cage, which would make me pretty hesitant to shoot slugs through it. It has been discussed quite a bit on various forum, which i found via Google. Search for PowerPac choke slugs? and you will have lots of reading.

Comment

Wow! I have never seen anything like that before. Muzzle brake for a shotgun? Ouch! I'm not sitting in a duck blind with anyone who has one of those on the end of his shotgun!

Comment

If you have to fire that shotgun in the house I don't expect you'll have to worry much about hitting the intruder. You're both going to be stunned and stumbling around holding your ears for at least five minutes.

Comment

One of the guys I shoot trap with has a ported barrel on his fancy shotgun. We draw lots to see who stands at the stations beside him. "What! Me again? Wait ... I think I just saw my magazine spring fly off over there into the brush. Sorry boys. Maybe next round. This could take a while."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad