Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between shotgun and rifle scopes? Are they stronger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between shotgun and rifle scopes? Are they stronger?

What is the difference between shotgun and rifle scopes? Are they stronger?

By the way, I know rifle scopes usually have a bigger power. So you don't need to type it if you don't want to.

Comment

skit

Comment

A lot of sights used on shotguns are the Aimpoint or RedDot variety. As oppoesed to a crosshair, you look through an objective (generally larger than a rifle scope) and put the glowing red dot on the target. Not a laser, and generally not magnified more than 2x.

Everyone, is that a close enough version?

Comment

No, not close enough.

I've asked the same question, so I can't really help. A light shotgun with a 3 inch slug kicks harder than your average rifle, but not as hard as many rifles, so I don't know if it would be stronger.

Comment

normally a shot gun or muzzle loader scope have lower power magnification ,due to the fire arms shorter effective range . as well as smaller objectives lenses on them so that they can be mounted lower and closer to the receiver . so proper sight picture through them is obtained with out having to lift your head off the stock to to get that sight picture. like you would have to do with a scope with a 40-50 mm objective lens and higher scope rings .

Comment

A 12 guage slug typically has more recoil than most rifles and most shotgun scopes are built to handle this additional recoil.

The big difference is the eye relief of each. The shotgun scope has longer eye relied. A heavy 1 ounce slug (.70 caliber) is simply going to take longer to get out of the barrel than a .30 caliber bullet and the longer it takes the longer the recoil is. You need the extra eye relief on the shotgun to protect you.

Comment

So basically shotgun scopes are so you don't have to spend the money on a $1000 dangerous game scope for your $400 shotgun?

Comment

Shotgun scopes also have the paralax adjusted for very short distance. Usually 50 yards are so.

Comment

Shotgun scopes are made to take more of a beating than a rifle scope. Shotguns generally have more recoil as compared to a rifle, and also there is less magnification, as shotguns cannot shoot as far as a rifle

Comment

Shotgun scopes are made to take more of a beating than a rifle scope. Shotguns generally have more recoil as compared to a rifle, and also there is less magnification, as shotguns cannot shoot as far as a rifle

Comment

Shotgun scopes dont fit on rifels and vice versa

Comment

Also the power of the scopes

Comment

Perhaps designed for a different type of recoil? i know that a crossbow has a flat forward backward motion to its recoil, and even though it is a very very light recoil, it can wreck a nice rifle scope, because they are not made to withstand that motion. because i rifle is a harder kick, and a slower kick, it could perhaps be a different motion, making the scopes recoil resistant in a different manner?
                            I dunno, that is all speculation..

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad