Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about the Mossberg Model 500 20 Gauge pump action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about the Mossberg Model 500 20 Gauge pump action?

Don't have it in the 20ga. but I LOVE my 12ga. 500.

Comment

Bought one for my Grandson Alex and he likes it!

Comment

I got the Super Bantam with the slug and regular barrel in Mossy Oak camo. for my 11 year old son. It came with 3 choke tubes and a coupon for a full sized stock at 1/2 price. My son loves it and I've used it for deer and turkey by changing the stock. If you can live with the Mossberg rattle, it's a great gun for the price. Light wieght, easy to use, always goes bang and plenty of parts -what's not to love?

Comment

what do you mean about the mossberf rattle?

Comment

oops meant mossberg

Comment

Buy it.

Comment

I'm guessing he's refering to the fact that mossbergs aren't built as tight as some higher dollar guns. They are ok guns my first shotgun was a 12 ga 500 and it did alright for no more than I paid for it. One thing that I've noticed about the 20 ga youth models is you need to be careful taking out your shells because they can get wedged in the action and you have to take the barrel off to get the shell out.

Comment

Great little gun. Don't worry about the 'rattle', 870's have them too. It's in the forearm pump.

Comment

My "rattle" comes from the forearm where the action slides. It's not a big deal and has no impact as to the reliabilty or smoothness of the action. My 11 year old can really shuck shells as he shoots doubles at sporting clays (I've not told him he's not suppose to be able to do that with a pump....) I talked with the shop I trade with and the onwer said many Mossy's have this rattle, but it has no bearing on the firearm. Bottom-line, my son and I really like this gun. I'm planning to buy another one next season for my 9 year old. If you're looking for a great 20, I'd recommend this one to a friend for the price.

Hope this helps.

Comment

great gun wont go wrong

Comment

I have the 12 ga. version, and its nice. I would opt for a remington 870 though. The rattle in the forearm of the gun is not very good for deerhunting. I scared 2 big bucks with this rattle in December deer shotgun season here in delaware. The remingtons are built more solidly, and function better. Get a Remington, you won't regret it.

Comment

I've got the 12 plus 2 spare barrels, one ribbed accuchoked and one rifled and scoped. Buddy of mine just getting into firearms liked my Mossberg 500 but was a bit afeered of its kick so he found a nice 20 gauge version. Then he decided he wanted the extra bang so he got hisself a 12 too. Always reliable, I'm keeping mine, but because of that "Mossberg rattle" I prefer my old cut down Ithaca super single 12. I have a nice old 1.5x Weaver scope mounted and it is quick to bring to battery and the external hammer can be cocked silently so the game don't hear you and jump the gun. I get good accuracy with Brenneke slugs inside of 30 yards and in my neck of the woods there just ain't no shots outside of 30 yards to take.

Comment

I've got the 12 also, as a turkey gun with the accuchoke in Full. It's a great gun for the money and very reliable.

Comment

Great first gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad