Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mossberg 500 or remington 870. Which one is the best all around hunting shotgun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 500 or remington 870. Which one is the best all around hunting shotgun.

Mossberg 500 or remington 870. Which one is the best all around hunting shotgun.

You'll be happy with either as long as you don't get a lemon or one that slipped past quality control. The more expensive Remingtons (such as the Wingmasters and American Classic) will perform better than the Mossberg pumps that are in the same price range, mainly becuase there is no such Mossberg. When it comes to the overall design of both, regardless of quality control or quality of the materials used, I'd say each are equalls. The position of the slide release on the Mossberg is probably more convinient than that of the Remington's, and if they both have standard stocks so is the Mossbergs safety, however, if you put a thumbhole stock or pistol grip on the Mossberg the position of the safety becomes less convenient than that of the Remington's. I have heard some claim Remington is having bad quality control with their 870s, as well as their 700s, and personally I believe that assertion to be true, but then their are people who claim that Mossbergs are currently being made using very low quality material, I am not quite sure this is true but it could very well be. And that's really all I can think of to say about this issue at the moment.

Best Wishes,

Redhawk.

Comment

A good older 870 in very good condition beats a new Mossberg.

Comment

Can't go wrong with the 870. You might be better off flipping a coin than looking for others'opinions on this though, it seems to be split pretty even. check out this recent 'battle of the boat paddle' comparison though - www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2014/01/mossberg-500-vs-remington-870-we-settle-debate-once-and-all

Comment

It all depends on what kind of hunting you do the most of as someone who owns both a 500 and 870 I can say i love both equally the 870 is what i use for dove, quail, and ducks because it is lighter and can't hold 3 1/2 in shells. It swings well and is reliable. now my 500 is my turkey, goose and rabbit gun because my final shell can be a 3 1/2 inches, it is solid and the weight helps when shooting from sitting. the both cycle right 99 times out of 100 and I could use both as a club if i ever ran out of shells but i love them both for different reasons.

Comment

Remington 870

Comment

Mossberg 500, have never had a problem with either of mine. Both are old and still work like new with no hick-ups. It really is a matter of opinion though, both are really good guns, I personally just like the 500 more.

Comment

Rem 870, hands down, is the better shotgun.

Comment

I vote for the Remington 870 pump.
                  I own two of them.

It looks like 870’s are winning the vote by a landslide.

Comment

I have both, the 500 is my dedicated slug gun and the 870 is my everything else gun (except turkey). I by far prefer the 870. Better fit and finish and I just like the way it points. This may be due to the act that I use it way more than the 500 though.

Comment

Ithaca Mod/37 in 12Ga or 20Ga over all...JMO~

Comment

both reliably go bang every time. The Remington is considered to hold its value if ever re-sold...though I see no reason for selling.

Comment

I own them both and love them both. The 500 is over 30 years old and is my dedicated turkey gun and the 35 year old 870 is a wingmaster with a plain barrel and a fixed mod choke, that now is a safe queen since I have an 11-87 and a SBE II. They both are fantastic guns and like the other post, it is a flip of the coin, both are good guns. I do get the old 870 out from time to time just to clean and hold it, brings back some great memories.

Comment

mossverg 500

Comment

Remington 870

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                The "illegitimate" select committee

Bennie Thompson, D - Mississippi, Chair.
                                Zoe Lofgren, - D California.
                                Adam Schiff,...
                                Today, 09:16 AM
                              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                              • Reply to Just Right
                                by labrador12
                                I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! They are hard to carry concealed. I went 9mm because the ammo is the cheapest. As a former NYer I wanted...
                                Today, 09:03 AM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                              • Reply to Just Right
                                by FirstBubba
                                Your mention of the .380/9mm is what drew my attention.
                                I meant no offense to you or anyone else.
                                I just don't think the .380 or the 9mm aren't...
                                Today, 08:44 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X