Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby SA-08 Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby SA-08 Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby SA-08 Semi-Auto Shotgun?

To start Whby SA-08 is made in Turkey(not noted for fine work) Sold in Wal*Marts and when not working U have only 1 repair station with parts Paso Robles CA.JMO~ Look at Franchi Affinity made in Began Italy for almost the same Money a much better shotgun and NOT found in Wal*Mart. U get what U pay for.

Comment

Yes I have one and I love it. It works great and the two power rings are easy to install. Just remove the magazine tube cap, remove the forend and change the rings for low or high power loads. I ordered a Carlson super full choke tube for mine and at 40 yards with Remington #6 Hevi shot will tear and 8 1/2 X 11 inch sheet of paper to shreads. It is light weight and the weight is so that it swings easy when I pheasant hunt with it too. I shoot clay pigeons also and it swings and tracks those good too. I have had mine for 5 years and have no problems with it so far. There was a product update on them and I received a letter from Weatherby with instructions on how to check the trigger but mine wasn't one that was affected so I didn't have to send my trigger assembly back for repairs. I didn't buy mine at Walmart, I bought mine from my regular firearms dealer.

Comment

Weatherby introduced the SA-08 in 28 GA. at the shot show this year. There is a post on the Blog section about the firearm. I failed to mention that the walnut on my SA-08 is really nice for that price of firearm.

Comment

Cabelas also sells the SA-08. I've read several review over the past year or so, and they are all very positive, including from GunDog, Guns & Ammo, and Outdoor Life.

The SA-08 in 28 is very nice, and moderately priced for the quality. No personal experience.

Comment

I bought a Weatherby SA-08 12ga. with the synthetic stock and an aftermarket "Carlson Skeet Choke" and "LimbSaver" recoil pad from Sports Authority for less than $500.
            I'm shooting skeet only using Rio 2-3/4 inch 3 dram 1-1/8oz #8 shot.
            I have close to 2500 rounds through it and never had a misfire or bad ejection. I'll shoot doubles and double doubles all day long with no problem. The only issue I had was after 250 rounds the rear stock got loose, and that problem was solved quickly with a little dab of "Loc-Tite" blue and a hex wrench. I named her "Thumper" because she thumps the hell out of what I point her at!
            I also own a Ruger "Red Label" 12ga. O/U but "Thumper" is my go to piece!

Comment

I know I'm late responding, but for anyone searching for a review, I'm glad to endorse the Weatherby SA-08. Several years ago, I set up a camo Browning Gold with matching shotgun scope and rings to be my dedicated low-light buck shot gun in the thicket. Any excuse to buy a new gun, I was now in the market for another synthetic camo 12 gauge semiauto, but couldn't step up to the price of the "B" guns at the time, so I took a chance on the Turkish made Weatherby. And I'm glad I did, great overall gun. You're limited to 3" shells but that should do the trick on most. I've patterned it against the Browning, and at 40 yards with turkey loads, it loses out only slightly but always with multiple shot in the kill zone. And for the slug hunters, it shoots 3" sabots with a rifled choke at 50 yds with no key-holing (which may be pure luck - the 3.5" Browning keyholes almost every time). The Weatherby interchanges with Beretta/Benelli Mobil chokes for anyone that has spent a fortune on those. Nevertheless, it has never fouled up after hundreds of rounds of skeet, target, and hunting. One odd twist is the interchangeable pistons - one for light loads and one for heavy, which I don't mind and they say saves the gun from wear and tear. I like the gun so much I'm giving it to my teenage nephew and bought a black synthetic for the other. Great value for the money - Turkish or not.

Comment

I have one, in the 20 ga deluxe version. Fantastic little gun -- very light, points well, and very well made. I was impressed. Only two things I dislike about it, and they're not major issues; it uses the win-choke style choke, and I'd prefer a longer choke-style, but that's easily fixed with carlson's (or whomever you like)extended tubes. And, the pull length is longer than described by about a quarter to half inch. One day when I get time, I'll cut the stock down. It has a nice trigger, the walnut (and finish) is incredible for this price point, and I've shot about every kind of load you can imagine through it and never had any failures of any kind.Complete take-down is very simple, and it's a handsome gun. You'll hear knuckleheads throwing around words like "Turkey" and "Walmart", but looking at this gun, you see a Weatherby. Period. Weatherby is proud of their brand, and it shows. Didn't pick mine up in Walmart either, but if they had carried it, I wouldn't hesitate. Sadly, Remington's quality control took a nose-dive beginning in the early '90s, and you couldn't pay me to buy a current production Remington. Fact is, it's been many decades since I've seen a new Remington shotgun with a finish this nice. You can certainly pay much more for a gun with a "B" name if it makes you feel better, but you won't really have a nicer gun, and certainly won't have one that functions any better than this. Happy hunting.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  To start Whby SA-08 is made in Turkey(not noted for fine work) Sold in Wal*Marts and when not working U have only 1 repair station with parts Paso Robles CA.JMO~ Look at Franchi Affinity made in Began Italy for almost the same Money a much better shotgun and NOT found in Wal*Mart. U get what U pay for.
                  Treestand are you making this observation after owning and shooting one? Made in Turkey, yes, however, the shotgun is under warranty and quality approved by Weatherby. If you know anything about Weatherby they would not put their name on anything lacking in quality. To the contrary, I beleive you are getting much more than you arte paying for. I've seen nothing but stellar reviews by those who either own one or have reviewed the same.

Comment

Mossbergs and Remingtons are sold in Wal-mart too. What diff does that make? Actually, I have NEVER seen the new SA_08 in a Wal-Mart - I had to order mine on line because they were out of stock everywhere. That should tell you something....So I just ordered my SA-08 and will post my review of it after shooting it but I have to say that I also own a Benelli M2 that was twice as much and had to send it back to the factory and a buddy just bought a brand new Franchi Affinity and had to send it back as well. I have read several reviews from those that have actually shot one and have not heard anything but raving reviews.

Comment

My wife loves the 20 ga and I just bought the deluxe 28ga. Can't wait to try it at the skeet range...

Comment

I have an SA-08 I boght because my old Browning A5 won't handle steel shot, which is required where I shoot clays. As good a shooter as I am, breaks down and cleans up easily. Those talking about questionable Turkish quality are offering bigotry. The Turks have centuries of manufacturing experience.

Comment

When somebody replies trying to act like they know what they're talking about, but then compares an inertia gun to the gas gun that is being discussed .... no credibility.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad